Bike at Bahnstormer

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many miles has your bike done? From the video and explication it could be chatter as the coolant slows after stopping. But I would argue depending upon your mileage that this chain would normally not be expected the reach it?s end of life so soon. Internal chains such as timing drive etc are pre stretched during manufacture. To ensure initial length changes you see on final drive are eliminated. Any further stretch is down to plate wear once it?s hardened layer is depleted. I would argue this is at a very high mileage. Maybe BMW uk would help with costs as a good will gesture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I?ve done just over 27k. I did ask whether BMW would give any goodwill towards the repair. He said no.... not really a fan of the new Service Manager there (Andrew). The issue is that they did. It seems completely sure that that is the issue. They could not only see the video I sent them and then loose chain could only explain the rattle. Not that convinced myself that even if the boiling coolant would stop dead and the rattle to stop. Would I contact BMW HQ directly or would they not entertain that?

I'm not that familiar with the inner workings of the engine, but I would have two questions for them. Firstly, what is the specified service limit for that chain (usually so many mm over so many links) and have they checked this?
Secondly, does the chain have some form of tensioner and has this been checked?

I?ve done just over 27k. I did ask whether BMW would give any goodwill towards the repair. He said no.... not really a fan of the new Service Manager there (Andrew). The issue is that they did. It seems completely sure that that is the issue. They could not only see the video I sent them and then loose chain could only explain the rattle. Not that convinced myself that even if the boiling coolant would stop dead and the rattle to stop. Would I contact BMW HQ directly or would they not entertain that?

I don't know if it's too late Amit, but I'd consider a second opinion from another dealer perhaps?

Back