No carbon wheels on uk spec m sport

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky83

Reaction score
So I had an interesting chat today with a mate who is a close friend with the guy who owns Global robotics (main sponsor for Smith's BMW race team)
Aparently he has been informed by the race team that BMW intend to stop selling m sports with carbon wheels to the uk market and will be replaced with forged items instead. Wondered if anybody else has heard this?

Interesting, but looking at BMW configurator just now Carbon Wheels are still part of the M Sport package, perhaps this will change in the future then if you're right.

I've always been wary of carbon wheels...to my mind, if they go pop they'll go in a big way.

Gordon Murray mentions something about why he won't use them in this video

Yeah he mentions the fact the failure mode is catastrophic. But Koenigsegg use them just fine.

It is interesting though, that track focused Ring weapon cars like the Porsche GT3 RS, GT2 RS and AMG GT-R don't come with carbon wheels. There must be some thinking of reliability and longevity in there by Porsche and Mercedes respectively.

British road surfaces are the worst in the western world especially in Surrey. Maybe they've had a lot of problems? I wouldn't run them...

If it turns out to be true it wouldn't actually surprise me. I personally do not see the point of Carbon wheels (and I work with Carbon Composites). As strange as it sounds, they are too fragile for our bomb cratered roads. And you also have to pay special attention when changing tyres too. Hence most serious track day guys and racers opt for Forged.

Thats due to costs. There are a lot of materials banned / set in stone to avoid massive costs.

Very true, banned in most bike race series as well. It just shocks me that the carbon wheel manufacturers use the alloy wheel safety specs when it?s a totally different material. J

I wonder if it did happen then you got a cracked wheel. Would they swap both out for forged.

They would warranty whatever it was sold with.

Problem with wheels is you have to prove manufacturing fault as opposed to misuse.

Back