Random sporadic cutting out when clutch pulled in.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnH13

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Am new to all this so be gentle with me!
I have just joined the forum and hope one of you may be able to help with a problem with my bike...
I have a 2010 S1000RR and whilst still running great and sounding fine it has a horribly frustrating random and sporadic problem that I would like to get to the bottom of. Just occasionally when you are coming up to a junction or roundabout and you pull the clutch in, the bike just dies! I can't "make the bike do it" by any specific action and it does not seem to correspond to hot or cold engine or high or low revs. Just randomly cuts out. Sometime I can be out for several hours with no problems. Other times it will do it several times in a 45 minute ride. It doesn't want to bump after it dies, but will happily fire straight back to life if I press the starter button whilst still moving.
I replaced the right hand side switch gear cos I thought that might be involved. Mainly cos I had one instance a while back when it just would not start (was already warm as had just been running for a while), went back to the bike and would not start. Nothing happening when you pressed the starter switch for about 20 or 30 presses (with breaks) Eventually the bike just starts again and never had that problem again. Because the switchgear can be a bit dodgy (had to replace the left hand switch gear twice) I thought there might be some dodgy connection around the kill switch, however replacing the left hand switch gear has made bugger all difference.
I thought perhaps someone out there might have had the same or similar problems. Useful suggestions or solutions very much welcomed.
Thanks!
John.

Back