S1000rr torque figures

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ukbmw

Reaction score
So I test rode a 2019 model last year and was so dissapointed to find that it didnt seem to be the bike that everyone was banging on about.
Mainly the massive torque that was being spoke about wasnt there on the one i rode.
But still i see videos where michael neeves who seems to be paid by bmw claims huge low down grunt.
He claims you can do 1500 rpm in 6th then just roll on the power and it pulls like mad.
Well i didnt actually try that coz why would you? But the one i rode was pretty gutless unless revved.
My question is for the guys that have a 2019 or 2020 can you confirm that the bike does have this big grunt at low rpm?
I know that on a dyno they do seem to pull big figures but thats in 5th or 6th gear.
How much grunt do they have in the lower gears that we use on the road?
Anericans are claiming up to 60% power cut in lower gears decreasing as you go up the box and im wondering if the one i rode was the same.
Ps i was on route for another test ride on one when i was knicked for speeding, so called it off.

there is no 2020 model yet, only 2019 - grant starts around 8k when shift-cam kicks in - you feel it.

The American market didn?t get the Gen 4 until model year 2020. Furthermore, US spec bikes have a significant throttle restriction in 2nd and 3rd gear due to their EPA (think that?s what it is called) standard.

With regard to the European spec Gen 4 RR, dealers typically set the bike in ?dynamic? mode, which I believe according to the dash description gives limited torque in the lower gears.
If you put the bike in ?race? mode, you do get a stronger throttle response and feeling of low down grunt when in the lower gears.

The power delivery on the Gen 4 is very linear, so does give a different impression of acceleration.
The ShiftCam does its thing at 9k rpm

Last edited:
Well according to dyno in comparison to the older model it has more torque.

the lower grunt is better than the gen 3 for sure but its quite linear all the way through the rev range, i find anyway. the demo bike i rode was also gutless compared to my gen 3 at the time and i just crossed my fingers my gen 4 when delivered would be better, as reports were saying.......and guess what...it is. the gen 4 is in a different league compared to gen 3. more low down grunt and ballistic higher up the rev range. ive had gen 1,2 and 2 x 3's so cannot compare to other makes over the last years.

Thats good then. I wanted to do back to back tests with the v4r i had out few days before but that got put on hold. I hope to try it soon when this hot weather sods off lol.
I was very impressed with the ducati so at the mo i expect it to be my next bike but who knows

Thats good then. I wanted to do back to back tests with the v4r i had out few days before but that got put on hold. I hope to try it soon when this hot weather sods off lol.
I was very impressed with the ducati so at the mo i expect it to be my next bike but who knows

v4r is on same level as gen4. have seen lots of them at Red Bull - they are not anywhere faster on straights. also a mate who ridden both confirmed the same.

Its not all about straight line speed but anyway the one i rode was rapid in a straight line. Its just the reverse crank is something that i think i need in my life. The way its puts the power down is like nothing ive experienced with a standard rotating crank

Its not all about straight line speed but anyway the one i rode was rapid in a straight line. Its just the reverse crank is something that i think i need in my life. The way its puts the power down is like nothing ive experienced with a standard rotating crank
Let's put it this way, they are equally fast. It's my observation vs. other v4r on track and mate's one after riding both.
I was seriously in the market for v4r before I heard this from him (he had gen3). I'm now thinking honda

Last edited:
Sorry i literally just noticed typoed v4r lol. I meant v4s. Not interested in the r version lol

A reverse crank doesn?t make any difference to power per se. What it does do as Isaac Newton said in his third law (equal and opposite reaction), is to stop the bike wheeling as much, hence you can open the throttle more. I.e if the crank rotates anti clockwise i.e towards the back of the bike, the bike itself will do the opposite.
Downside... the bike has a tendency to understeer mid corner. Because our bikes are road bikes, the majority of road bikes are forward rotating cranks.

That?s why all MotoGP bikes are counter rotating cranks... putting down close to 300bhp trumps slight understeer.

Last edited:
Let's put it this way, they are equally fast. It's my observation vs. other v4r on track and mate's one after riding both.
I was seriously in the market for v4r before I heard this from him (he had gen3). I'm now thinking honda

When Honda decides to introduce VTEC or something similar on the CBR 1000RRRRRRRR then we can discuss about Honda. For years Honda is very very shy and did not update their flagship bike. Only this year Honda is starting to move...

The counter rotating crank is not a gimmik.
It really works.
Ive always suffered with too much wheelie on every bike ive ridden but on the ducati it drives the front down out of corners which means i can get on the gas harder.
Plus on the brakes its helping to hold the back down.
On mcn recent comparison video neevesey said the bmw had brakes as good as the ducatis.
Let me tell you this, yes they are good brakes and i quite like the feel of them but ive never felt brakes anywhere near the level of the dicatis, even my full brembo setup on my r1 is not as good.
The braking power and stability is probably the best thing about the ducati.
But you are probably thinking why not just get a ducati then.
Well it has some flaws, the biggest is the heat from the rear of the engine, i mean with how hot it is in the uk at the mo youd never want to ride it, maybe in the winter it might come in handy but i dont ride in the winter.
The bmw is a more "normal bike" heatwise

The counter rotating crank is not a gimmik.
It really works.
Ive always suffered with too much wheelie on every bike ive ridden but on the ducati it drives the front down out of corners which means i can get on the gas harder.
Plus on the brakes its helping to hold the back down.
On mcn recent comparison video neevesey said the bmw had brakes as good as the ducatis.
Let me tell you this, yes they are good brakes and i quite like the feel of them but ive never felt brakes anywhere near the level of the dicatis, even my full brembo setup on my r1 is not as good.
The braking power and stability is probably the best thing about the ducati.
But you are probably thinking why not just get a ducati then.
Well it has some flaws, the biggest is the heat from the rear of the engine, i mean with how hot it is in the uk at the mo youd never want to ride it, maybe in the winter it might come in handy but i dont ride in the winter.
The bmw is a more "normal bike" heatwise

wheelies are well controlled by electronics, body position and rear brake on any bike...

No one called it a gimmick.
Before the Gen4 was released there were rumours late that it would be counter rotating but they proved false.

The other V4, the Aprilia should also be considered. You can get them track spec from the factory which is pretty sweet.

- Alex

The Ducati brakes are better for one simple reason. Even if the calipers and the master cylinder were the same, the Ducati has 330mm discs compared to 320mm. That makes a big difference in swept area. I wish more bikes had 330mm?s. My Gen 3 with M50?s, RCS M/C still isn?t as good as my 1098 from 2007.

Last edited:
wheelies are well controlled by electronics, body position and rear brake on any bike...

Two of which slow the bike down..... reverse cranks don?t, they speed the bike up. ;)

No one called it a gimmick.
Before the Gen4 was released there were rumours late that it would be counter rotating but they proved false.

The other V4, the Aprilia should also be considered. You can get them track spec from the factory which is pretty sweet.

- Alex
Ive tried the aprilia but wasnt that impressed with it, the dealer said after me only being used to a r1 im gonna be blown away by the perfornance of the factory 1100.
Well put it this way i was happy to get back on my r1!
I think its ok but i wasnt blown away by it by any means. The electonics are not at the same level as bmw, ducati or r1.

Back