cush drive play

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webbie45

Reaction score
hello .
Washing my M yesterday I rocked the wheel back to clean .
Noticed a few mm play in the cush drive rubbers.

Currently 2000 miles .

Anyone else's same . Might take to dealer to look / claim

I have a little on mine, around 6000 miles. Never noticed it on the Gen 3. Wondering if it is another Gen 4 "trait".

I have a little on mine, around 6000 miles. Never noticed it on the Gen 3. Wondering if it is another Gen 4 "trait".
I had to replace the Cush drive on my gen3 around 12k miles. It seemed to be a consumable part according to the dealer and was a common problem. No idea about the gen4 though.

my gen 3 had a good few mm's, never bothered me though..just checked gen 4 and i have less than a mm but thats pushing hard either way . no actual loose free play.

Last edited:
Mine goes back to the dealer next month. I will ask them to have a look and see if it is within tolerance and report back.

I done mine on my HP4 circa 27k, forged wheels have 5 and I'm sure they were under 40 quid... thats a low mileage for them to noticeably compress..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Fwiw, I've done Cush Drives on numerous bikes HP4 and ZX laterally and there's zero play after replacing... Unless the gen 4 is different, Zero play should be the target. I'll check both shortly now that they each done some hard miles since fitted and see what they're like.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
FWIW. My Gen3 Cush drive rubbers needed replacing at 10K miles Made a big improvement on shift quality

When I spoke to my dealer last we. He has implied that is shouldn't have as much play as I've stated. He said it is another job added to the job card. That list is ever expanding.

I've just returned from a 1,400 mile trip around France ( total miles ) on my new 2022 S1000RR M sport 2,200, I now have 8mm of play between the drive train sprocket and the back wheel .... bearing in mind the first 600 miles were running the bike in, that means the drive cushions have failed after 1,400 miles ( not good ) for a brand such as BMW ..
hello .
Washing my M yesterday I rocked the wheel back to clean .
Noticed a few mm play in the cush drive rubbers.

Currently 2000 miles .

Anyone else's same . Might take to dealer to look / claim

I've just returned from a 1,400 mile trip around France on my 2022 S1000 RR M Sport , the cush-drive now has 8mm of play ( total miles as of today ) 2,200 bearing in mind the first 600 miles were running the bike in, that means the cush-drive has failed after 1600 miles ..that's poor for a brand like BMW.

gen 3 forged had the round ones which never seemed wear, all the others seem shyte for the wear rate. Mine need changing now 3k miles it's ridiculous ...

BMW collected the bike yesterday and agreed the wear rate is extreme and will replace .. When the bike works well I love it , however, this is the replacement from the new S1000RR that had an engine failure in June .... testing times

Back