Tyre pressures

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bikeracer1098

Reaction score
Collected my new Msport on Thursday evening.
Checked tyre pressures on Friday morning and front was 2.0 bar (instead of 2.5 bar) and rear was 2.9 bar.

Inflated the front to 2.55 bar, however on the dash reads 2.4 bar.

This morning front tyre reads 2.3 bar on the dash.

Will check the front tyre pressure this evening after work using the same tyre pressure gauge.

Im now concerned that my carbon wheel/valve may be loosing air.

Anyone else had a similar issue on their new Bike?

Thanks

I had this on sport version with forged rims. There were fine for 7months, but at Spa front started to loose air. Had to replace the valve

Definitely got a problem with the front wheel/tyre.

After inflating to 2.55 bar on Friday lunchtime, just checked the pressure and it has dropped to 2.35 bar within 36 hours.

Try soapy water to find the leak. My car tyre valve just caused the same. Fix was free.

- Alex

Definitely got a problem with the front wheel/tyre.

After inflating to 2.55 bar on Friday lunchtime, just checked the pressure and it has dropped to 2.35 bar within 36 hours.

soapy water around the valve area is the first thing to do

Just as an aside, what pressure are you guys running for Road use?

BMW recommend 2.5 bar Front, 2.8 bar Rear

Number of Owners on Facebook owners page recommending lower pressures.

Last edited:
Collected my new Msport on Thursday evening.
Checked tyre pressures on Friday morning and front was 2.0 bar (instead of 2.5 bar) and rear was 2.9 bar.

Inflated the front to 2.55 bar, however on the dash reads 2.4 bar.

This morning front tyre reads 2.3 bar on the dash.

Will check the front tyre pressure this evening after work using the same tyre pressure gauge.

Im now concerned that my carbon wheel/valve may be loosing air.

Anyone else had a similar issue on their new Bike?

Thanks

Likely that the difference is due to BM?s temperature compensation which I think uses operating temperature (whatever they consider that to be), so the pressure we measure using a typical gauge (not the on board one) with cold tyres will be lower.

Warm tyres will return a higher pressure - hence the BM compensation which is calibrated to show what the pressure will be when at operating temperature. Hope this isn?t too confusing!

This is a somewhat controversial subject.

Tyre manufacturers recommend the motorcycle manufacturers recommended pressures for road use.
Motorcycle manufacturers recommend a cold pressure that is appropriate for the maximum homologated weight of the motorcycle (i.e. 2 up in our case). The reason for this is probably due to liability/legal reasons, particularly when things like pot holes etc. are taken into consideration. They therefore need to recommend a safe, all encompassing pressure.

In reality, for solo use, without luggage, you can drop the cold pressures from the stated 2.5/2.9 bar.
I wouldn?t recommend going below 33 psi cold for the front, or 36 psi for the rear. As for one you don?t want to have a flat feeling tyre when riding slowly and you also don?t want a tyre to square-off unnecessarily early.

Beyond that, I think it all depends on the specific tyre you?re using and personal preference

Can I ask a question re track pressures.

What is the correct procedure regarding checking the manufactures recommended pressures.

Do I check cold then again when they're up to temp or can I simply check when the warmers are just about to be removed and not bother when cold ?....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

What is the correct procedure regarding checking the manufactures recommended pressures.

Do I check cold then again when they're up to temp or can I simply check when the warmers are just about to be removed and not bother when cold ?....

If you have 40mins and tires warm up to stable 80/90C do not bother with cold. You can set rough pressures when cold, but ultimate reference should be warm.
On hot days, you would find pressure slightly high after first session, especially if you run 80C warmers, so readjust it too.

Hot is what you want with warmers.

You'll gain about 4psi on the warmers. I have the tyres in the ballpark cold (erring on over inflated). Then check after at least 40 mins, bringing the pressure down to the hot recommended pressure.

Usually at the track mine are on for a good hour before session 1 and if its looking sketchy or windy I make sure the rim is hot by sticking on a warrior wheel blanket (fleece).

- Alex

Back