Hello from a Gen4 M Sport track day rider

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve929rry

Reaction score
Hello,

I only use the S1000RR's for the track as soon as they are run-in.

Although I've been a road rider as well since 1976 (currently Kwak S1000SX) I mostly do track days and usually keep my S1000RR at Almeria Nov to March with Focused Events and then bring it back for other overseas and UK track days. Last year did Donington twice, Almeria (14 days), Brno (3 days), Portimao (4 days), Andalucia (4 days), Jerez (3 days) and Aragon (4 days) so probably do more track miles than most road riders do on the road.

My first BMW was a Gen 2 which I absolutely loved and is till the bike that I set all my fastest laps on although to be fair the Gen3 was faster but the OEM down-blipper missed the occasional gear and went into a false neutral which caused a gravel excursion at Jerez and a broken arm low-side at Almeria which slowed me down a bit. I changed the quickshifter for HM set at quite a high changing force which cured the false neutral issue as it won't change at all unless you press hard on the lever eliminating any half-hearted gear changes.

I've done a couple of Donington's and 4 days at Portimao so far on the Gen 4 (Msport with track fairings otherwise standard). I'm already nearly on the same pace as I was on the Gen3 which was mapped by Phil Crowe at 202.3 BHP at the rear wheel.

Thoughts on the Gen 4 on track (nowhere else counts on these bikes):
- About the same top end power as my Gen3 but accelerates slightly better
- Handling is better; holds a line easier and does not buck and slide at the rear when accelerating banked over; faster turn in than Gen3 (Gen3 had BST carbon wheels); more comfortable and less exhausting to fight around a track
- Traction control light when set the same as Gen3 flashes a lot more on Gen 4 but appears to control the bike better giving confidence to power out of corners and doesn't feel intrusive.
- Wheelie control is definitely better and there's nowhere better to find this out than Portimao.
- Rear tyre wear is reduced and this is not due to slow lap times. I hated the Metzeller K1's which I used for the morning of the first day at Donington, not a grip issue but the front felt terrible, thought I'd bought a dud. Changed to V02 Slicks in the afternoon and could not believe how good the bike was - what a relief!
- Brakes are pretty good with SBS dual carbon race pads but I think the Gen3 had a slight edge there although I think it's due to the aftermarket discs that are fitted to Gen 3 rather than a Brembo v Hayes caliper issue. I broke the brake lever in a stupid fall off the stand in the garage so have ordered a Brembo RCS master cylinder, I'll see if that makes any improvement.

Off to Brno his month unless Corna virus stops me. I'm changing the final drive to 16/45 from standard 17/45 and also thinking about rs2e race mapping pro ECU but I can't make my mind up if I dare risk the first time out being Brno in case there's any issue that could ruin my three days - Brno's my favourite track.

Cheers,

Steve

Great write up Steve, so far I have only ridden my M Sport 3 days at Almeria in March, we?re going to Mugello next week for 4 days.

I have GP4RX calipers with Z04 pads and an RCS19 m/c on mine, so the brakes are not lacking.
I now have an Akropovic system on mine and am also considering the RS2E map, will see how it goes in Italy first.

Cheers,
Mark.

Hi Mark,

I was at Almeria on my red Milwaukee colours Gen3 on 6,7,8th March just before lock-down.

I?ve been to Mugello, great track but a bit expensive. Enjoy!

Steve

Steve

consider 16/43 as final drive - the most commonly used in STK. Also, consider changing SBS DC pads to Dual Sintered by either SBS / Alpha or Z04.

Are you doing any other days apart from Brno this year ?

Welcome, I can vouch for the RS2E mapping on my Gen3 - out the box it was spot on. Just heed their recommendations for settings, they are not like the BMW ones, Wet is track w/Wets!

Hi,

Thanks for the info on the final drive ratio's but the difference is only 1.5% which only gives an extra 200 revs at 13,000 revs in the same gear?

I'll try the SBS Dual Sintered if you think they are better.

I've only got Almeria in November booked after Brno this year as I'm waiting to see how the Government rules on CV change before booking too many overseas. I got back from Portimao a week ago and have to self-isolate for another 7 days yet, not sure I can stand any more periods of isolation.

PS: From what I can gather from talking to other people when I was there none were planning on isolating after the event, so not looking good for any improvement in CV cases!

Cheers

Steve

Hi Alex,

I saw your review on rs2e - excellent! and also BMW bad boys.

I might take the plunge before Brno then.

Regarding TC settings are they set up for racer use if they are so far different from the BMW ones? The reason I ask is that I like to see the TC doing something at various turns when playing back on-board video and also by percentage on the dash just to be sure it's actually there! On the Gen 3 I had TC set on Slick -1 with V02 slicks there was just enough TC showing to know it was keeping me safe and in Race mode pro (which gets its info from the Race map) set at -2 was working about the same on the Gen 4. Not sure there's any point in me having TC settings that never causes any light flashing.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi,

Thanks for the info on the final drive ratio's but the difference is only 1.5% which only gives an extra 200 revs at 13,000 revs in the same gear?

I'll try the SBS Dual Sintered if you think they are better.

I've only got Almeria in November booked after Brno this year as I'm waiting to see how the Government rules on CV change before booking too many overseas. I got back from Portimao a week ago and have to self-isolate for another 7 days yet, not sure I can stand any more periods of isolation.

PS: From what I can gather from talking to other people when I was there none were planning on isolating after the event, so not looking good for any improvement in CV cases!

Cheers

Steve

DS pads have much longer life and very consistent performance. e.g. Alpha recommends changing them at 1mm thickness as they do not delaminate when thin.

16-43 will give you more stable bike out of corners and less wheelies. On most of tracks you will find the right gear in Gen4 and it will have enough torque to drive out.

btw, RS2E is a way to go for Gen4. Guys are currently working on split throttle body support.

16/43 is recommended as it makes the bike calmer (anti-squat/chain angle) driving out of the corners and you can forget 6th on most tracks, reducing effort. You can hold 2nd/3rd for most corners...you've so much power that shorter ratios are just busier for no real benefit.

Cheers Bad Boy,

I've now got a Akrapovic full race system with the long can fitted. I've been told that the bike will run perfectly well without remapping due to the improved Lambda sensors on the Gen 4 but you're still running from the same base BMW map that has some dips in the curve due to emmisions/noise/exhaust flaps etc so was thinking that rs2e would also smooth this out as well as providing more responsive TC.

You are obviously correct that the mapping is bound to be still new to the rs2e engineers and if I'm not doing any harm such as running very lean due to the exhaust it would be a good idea to wait while they get some more race experience under their belts. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, would value your thoughts on the TC settings as per below:

Regarding TC settings are they set up for racer use if they are so far different from the BMW ones? The reason I ask is that I like to see the TC doing something at various turns when playing back on-board video and also by percentage on the dash just to be sure it's actually there! On the Gen 3 I had TC set on Slick -1 with V02 slicks there was just enough TC showing to know it was keeping me safe and in Race mode pro (which gets its info from the Race map) set at -2 was working about the same on the Gen 4. Not sure there's any point in me having TC settings that never causes any light flashing.

Cheers, Steve

Cheers Bad Boy,

I've now got a Akrapovic full race system with the long can fitted. I've been told that the bike will run perfectly well without remapping due to the improved Lambda sensors on the Gen 4 but you're still running from the same base BMW map that has some dips in the curve due to emmisions/noise/exhaust flaps etc so was thinking that rs2e would also smooth this out as well as providing more responsive TC.

If you got EU/UK version you wont have any dips. It would work perfectly fine. RS2E fuel map optimizes it for 98 RON which can potentially give few more HPs.

You are obviously correct that the mapping is bound to be still new to the rs2e engineers and if I'm not doing any harm such as running very lean due to the exhaust it would be a good idea to wait while they get some more race experience under their belts. What are your thoughts on this?

They have been doing maps for Gen3 for last 4 years or so, with Alpha selling them as re-branded Alpha map. They do have lots of experience on that front.

Also, would value your thoughts on the TC settings as per below:

Cheers, Steve

I've been running OE TC in -7 on both Gen3 and Gen4 as it's very intrusive. Some say Gen4 TC is even more intrusive than Gen4.

RS2E map changes how TC is configured. You would normally start to run it at +5 to get used to it. Fast track-day pace / race setting will start at +3.

Good thing about this TC is that its audible, you can easily hear it on videos.

Thanks for the comparison of TC between Gen3/4 and RS2E, it confirms it will be okay for me even if I start at +5 and work down from there. I was worried you had to be a very fast racer in order to get any use out of it which you obviously are if you're having to use -7 to stop it being too intrusive!

Back