Can i use this oil for 2017 BMW S1000RR

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yogi Bear

Reaction score
Hi all.

Can I use this oil for my bike as I have 5 L in my garage and I was going to do a filter change. Or do I need to buy the beemer oil.

I've checked the specs and it seems to be a better oil than the BMW one.

Its Petronas Syntium 3000 AV 5W 40.

BMW oil is SAE 5W- 40 API SL

The Petronas is SAE 5W-40 API SN ACEAC3 and is BMW Longlife 04 approved. Upon researching API SN is better than API SL

img-syntium-3000-av-5w-40.001.jpeg

Last edited:
LL04 is car oil. I know cause its in my E90 330i
So is, Petronas Syntium 3000

Motorcycle oil is different.

- Alex

Last edited:
Alex is correct. Cars don't have their gearbox and clutch inside the ?engine? ie using the same oil, so motorcycle oil has to be very different to car oil, ie cope with the shear forces of a gearbox and not make your wet clutch slip ..... unless your running an old BMW RT, GS where the engine, gearbox and clutch are all separate.

They put "motorcycle" in front of oil and charge 30% more im convinced [emoji85]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
I may agree as all oil have grades there cant be a magic oil for bikes . All oil have specifications so the correct spec should be the right oil.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Plus a lot of car oils have moly additives which BMW specifically say will damage your engine. Go on put car oil in for that ?15 saving.... you know you want to.....

Last edited:
I'm weird on oil. The pitbike and track sv650 get 10/40 castol power 1 race.

KTM fc450 get motul 10/40 300v lady owner stuck to that. And I'm inclined to stick to what it had and I'm not unhappy with 300v

If castol power 1 race was 90 euro and car stuff was 20 of still stick to right

Thanks for the info im picking up BMW oil and a genuine filter from the dealers this morning.
safe than sorry.

While on the subject of oil and filter.
If one does his or hers own oil and filter change does this effect the warranty in anyway?

Plus a lot of car oils have moly additives which BMW specifically say will damage your engine. Go on put car oil in for that ?15 saving.... you know you want to.....
No i definitely don't want to, i was just asking the question, you don't know till you ask...

While on the subject of oil and filter.
If one does his or hers own oil and filter change does this effect the warranty in anyway?
Not directly. Drain warm, *put in the amount the book says* not the sight glass.

5712772ea0ed9c82f5566077ba494088.jpg

- Alex

Thanks Alex that is exactly what i have done. I put in just a tad under 3.5 litres with the filter and the glass shows 3/4 full.
I bought the filter and oil from BMW Dealer with invoice for genuine parts inc washer.

Back