Best Sat Nav For S1000RR

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOCKE

Reaction score
I have been toying with the idea of a sat nav for the bike for a while now and need some info. Which make and models do you guys recommend? How easy to install to the bike? How easy to wire up? Bluetooth for helmet? I don?t like the idea of using my phone as sat nav so would prefer a stand alone one.

TomTom Rider for me. Has Bluetooth capability and good route planning programme, if you prefer to know where you're going!. Docking mount sits neatly and doesn't obscure the dash, and I've got it wired direct to the battery (had issues with the accessory socket). Still occasionally sends me somewhere daft but that's usually when I've set a waypoint slightly off the route by mistake...

TomTom Rider.... I mistakenly bought a Garmin..... what a load of S*@t. Shocking. Cardo Packtalk Bold intercom, phone and TT Rider perfect. I?ve not got a Gen 4 yet but the BMW TFT built in SatNav hasn?t got good reviews on any BMW.

I don?t want to say I have found the bmw connected sat nav/bike nav good because I might jinx it. I would still use my zumo if I was touring, better visually.

I have been toying with the idea of a sat nav for the bike for a while now and need some info. Which make and models do you guys recommend? How easy to install to the bike? How easy to wire up? Bluetooth for helmet? I don?t like the idea of using my phone as sat nav so would prefer a stand alone one.
OnePlus 8 pro + offline Google maps

Easy, just like any other SatNav. There?s even a switched supply near the headstock. BMW provide 2 on the bike (Gen3). J
Never had a SatNav on a bike before. Mine is a Gen2. Fitting guide for dummies?

Never had a SatNav on a bike before. Mine is a Gen2. Fitting guide for dummies?

There is a spare plug on the RHS near the horn mounting, you need to take the side fairings off to see it, it is quite concealed along the frame towards the front of the bike. From memory it is the lap trigger canbus socket. You would need a plug from bmw to attach to your sat nav power supply/cable or get them to do it for you, then plug it in and mount the nav. That way you have a switched power solution that turns off approx 10 seconds after the bike.

Wiring directly to the battery is fine (in some ways its is better because it avoids the canbus), but you need to have an inline fuse, and if you accidentally leave the nav in and on it will drain your battery.

There is a spare plug on the RHS near the horn mounting, you need to take the side fairings off to see it, it is quite concealed along the frame towards the front of the bike. From memory it is the lap trigger canbus socket. You would need a plug from bmw to attach to your sat nav power supply/cable or get them to do it for you, then plug it in and mount the nav. That way you have a switched power solution that turns off approx 10 seconds after the bike.

Wiring directly to the battery is fine (in some ways its is better because it avoids the canbus), but you need to have an inline fuse, and if you accidentally leave the nav in and on it will drain your battery.
Great mate. Thank you.

Back