Oil leak from cam chain tensioner bolt

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwbadboy

Reaction score
Well, not sure if this is something to expect when you push the bike to its limits, but it happened.

Photos are pretty much self explanatory.

I tightened it as much as I could with spanner, will see how it goes... Don't really fancy a dealer trip for this one.

2d4a36800593fe4cfcd0209fbf459535.jpg

86bc0b7fbc80cbe7b8ca11eb4a92bf03.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone that bought the maintenance manual should be able to give you the torque value.
The Gen3 has an O-ring on the inside, does the Gen4?
Gen3 looks like 15Nm in the Haynes manual.

Anyone that bought the maintenance manual should be able to give you the torque value.
The Gen3 has an O-ring on the inside, does the Gen4?
Gen3 looks like 15Nm in the Haynes manual.
Not sure how to torque it properly? Hex socket wouldn't fit there as no space, and I don't have a torque spanner.

Not sure about oring, I didn't try to open it yet.

By applied force, it was deffo more than 15nm, more like 50 before it stopped leaking...

Last edited:
Oil Leak

There should be an o-ring inside if you remove the tensioner. If it?s leaking it?s probably because the O-ring has failed and needs replacing. The part number is 0711996340.

Re: Oil Leak

There should be an o-ring inside if you remove the tensioner. If it?s leaking it?s probably because the O-ring has failed and needs replacing. The part number is 0711996340.
Thanks Ryan!

What about crush washer? Replace as well?

Also, how does this tensioner look like? Is it just a bolt or something more complex? I can only fit a spanner there, I can try to remove it, but just afraid something might go wrong.

Just a word of warning perhaps!
I would definitely read up on this before moving this tensioner bolt.
The engine may have to be positioned before removal. By that I mean turning the crankshaft to a particular position, perhaps TDC, to make sure that the timing cain is not too tight or too slack. The chain may be able to jump teeth if you don?t. Not sure if this can happen but better to be safe than sorry.

Just a word of warning perhaps!
I would definitely read up on this before moving this tensioner bolt.
The engine may have to be positioned before removal. By that I mean turning the crankshaft to a particular position, perhaps TDC, to make sure that the timing cain is not too tight or too slack. The chain may be able to jump teeth if you don?t. Not sure if this can happen but better to be safe than sorry.
Thanks a lot!

I assume me tightening the bolt is fine? It's only if I remove it to replace washer I have to follow the process?

Yes you will be fine.

Just be mindful of what MAY happen if you remove it without being sure!
Possibly I?m completely wrong about this but I come from a motor engineering background and have seen how these ?small? jobs can go horribly wrong sometimes.

Just read up about it before you commit yourself, that?s all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you will be fine.

Just be mindful of what MAY happen if you remove it without being sure!
Possibly I?m completely wrong about this but I come from a motor engineering background and have seen how these ?small? jobs can go horribly wrong sometimes.

Just read up about it before you commit yourself, that?s all!

You're second person who warned me about it, so I will likely do it at workshop.

Thanks again !

I?m assuming when you say workshop, you?re referring to dealer?

Well...if everything was that simple! I dont have a bike by hand now, I will see it again for 3 days event at Mugello on Friday.

Will check if Florence's BMW dealer can pop up and do the work at the track. If not, I will just buy spares and go to a local racing shop.

I guess any decent racing shop should be able to do it correctly ?

Well...if everything was that simple! I dont have a bike by hand now, I will see it again for 3 days event at Mugello on Friday.

Will check if Florence's BMW dealer can pop up and do the work at the track. If not, I will just buy spares and go to a local racing shop.

I guess any decent racing shop should be able to do it correctly ?

Oh dear, difficult [emoji53]

I would think they would be able to do the work......assuming they have decent and knowledgeable workshop staff.

Chain Tensioner

Replacing the OEM chain tensioner is normally relatively easy providing you torque it to the correct specification when fitting. Where people normally run into difficulties is when they fit aftermarket adjustable chain tensioners. I would personally contact your BMW dealer as having an O-ring fail on such a new bike is fairly unusual.

Re: Chain Tensioner

Replacing the OEM chain tensioner is normally relatively easy providing you torque it to the correct specification when fitting. Where people normally run into difficulties is when they fit aftermarket adjustable chain tensioners. I would personally contact your BMW dealer as having an O-ring fail on such a new bike is fairly unusual.

I'm not yet sure if oring failed...

Is it possible that bolt wasn't torqued properly in the fist place and unscrewed under vibrations ? Altho no work has been done on engine/camshafts at all, it's all factory.

Last edited:
Back