BMW S1000RR city riding

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luce

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

just joined the forum and wanted to get some opinions on the bmw s1000rr and riding it in the city.

I currently have a Honda vfr800 and ride it in and out of work every day. My trip is about 11.5 miles each way and its all london city riding. So loads of traffic lights, cars, filtering and all that.

Anyone already ride their bike in similar conditions and if so what do you think.

My honda is very reliable and ok for what it is. My concern is that the BMW isn't designed for this type of riding and that it would be a waste..

also what are people getting in fuel economy in city riding?

any extra info or comments are definitely welcomed.

I love the look of the BMW and always wanted one just want to make sure i'm not disappointed cause i'll be using it mainly in london.

thanks

Hey Guys,

just joined the forum and wanted to get some opinions on the bmw s1000rr and riding it in the city.

I currently have a Honda vfr800 and ride it in and out of work every day. My trip is about 11.5 miles each way and its all london city riding. So loads of traffic lights, cars, filtering and all that.

Anyone already ride their bike in similar conditions and if so what do you think.

My honda is very reliable and ok for what it is. My concern is that the BMW isn't designed for this type of riding and that it would be a waste..

I love the look of the BMW and always wanted one just want to make sure i'm not disappointed cause i'll be using it mainly in london.

thanks
I wouldn't ride mine into London, to many fukwits on mopeds about. I take it you have secure parking

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hey Guys,

thanks
I ride around in London often, the S1 is nimble, quick away, and has a good presence to other road users. It?s also uncomfortable, thirsty, and extremely expensive to maintain. What ARE you thinking of? Get a scooter, and also get the S1 for out of town/track duties.

Hi there,

We kindly ask all new forum members to introduce themselves in the welcome area (follow attached link).

S1000RR?s are amazing motorcycles and are extremely versatile for a sportbike.
However, as you and others have pointed out, they are not designed with city commuting in mind. They can certainly do it, but it will never be the ideal bike for the job. Furthermore, they are expensive to run, and high mileage will depreciate any sports bikes considerably.

If you wish to continue commuting on a motorcycle, then I think it makes MUCH more sense to have a dedicated commuter bike and an S1000RR as your hobby bike.

BMW are generally very good with test rides, so I would highly recommend test riding one in due course to see if the riding position/character of a superbike appeals to you and your intended usage

https://s1000rrforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?22-WELCOME-AREA

@immortal_Indian commutes daily from the suburbs to the centre when there's no covid

- Alex

@immortal_Indian commutes daily from the suburbs to the centre when there's no covid

- Alex

As Alex said, I commuted into the city on MY16 for 3 years. It was my daily work hack and I loved every day, come hell or high water. As said above, quick, light, narrow, and for me really comfortable. Keeping it in Rain mode (in hindsight) is a better option to soften the suspension, however i has it in race mode to enjoy more horses.

However, you need to keep the maintenance up, a honest regular regime as it can get expensive (I did find out) but like anything, you look after it and it will look after you.

I bought my bike to ride, even if was a commuter and an weekend toy, I would do it again.

I had secure underground parking, that would be a MUST now. There was a point where there were a lot of vids around bike jacking that nearly put me off, but better road positioning and a more eagle eye kept the riding spirited.

But I never looked at the cost of fuel to be honest, but 25 mile / day round trip and I would fill on in the 5th day (getting around 100-110 miles to the tank)

For the past year, I now commute ?out of london? as my daily commute (pre covid).

Hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The commutability factor of the S1000RR was one of the reasons I bought the bike! Have lived in and/or commuted to/through London on, in no particular order, CBR650F, VFR800, VFR750, Futura, Falco, FZR400, Firestorm, Shiver, ZX6R, GSXR750, RSV1000R, TRX850.

Slim, short sports bikes get through any gap and the only bike that I found particularly unsuited to London traffic is the one I have now, 1290 Super Duke GT. Fab bike but too wide and tall for skimming through miles of narrow gaps!

Fuel economy was mostly crap on all of them but I bought them because they were fun to ride at the time and made me smile on the moments where you can open up, even if it's only for a couple of seconds between traffic lights :cool:

Schuey bought one to take his daughter on the pillion, I had a test ride on one yesterday which I really enjoyed, both as a bimbler and also to use it's 105 torque. And that, is a Bonneville 120! Loads of fun and a good commuter to boot I would imagine .

Check out Baron Von Grumble on YouTube he used to ride into London on his RR

Back