Stalling - Me or the bike?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Last couple of days, two rides, stalled once on each journey. Each time it has been approaching a junction, slowing down and the engine has just died before pulling the clutch in. There is still plenty of revs (way above idle) but it's almost feels like the bike has run out of breath. It restarts immediately without any issue but either my throttle control has gone completely out of the window or something is a bit odd?

Have only done a 1000 miles or so on the bike and it's only happened this week so it could be me but thought I'd check if anyone had the same issue? :confused-new:

From your description it doesn't sound rider error. I've never had that happen on either my old Gen 3 or , present Gen 4. You state there's still revs and then just died so sounds mechanical/fuelling to me, but I am not a mechanic so no quoting please :)

Sent from my J8110 using Tapatalk

Check the stand isn't loose - there was an issue with the Ducati Supersport when I had one with the stand working loose and it used to trigger the engine cut out. I had it happen a couple of times breaking from speed before a bend - unnerving.

Good luck with it.

A couple of thoughts, it?s almost certainly not you, but maybe a software issue. Yes the side stands do fall of them and need to be checked every now and again for tightness, but the switch is located on the bit that that rotates, it?s not a plunger that checks that it correctly positioned. The good thing about that is that the side stand could be dragging on the ground and you would still have continuity to make the engine work. The bad thing is that the side stand could be hanging by a thread and very precarious, but you wouldn?t know anything about it until you park up and it all falls over...
But, I have experienced odd behaviour from my 2018 after running around town in warm ambient temps. The ECU seems to know when you?re bumbling around in town. It get very hot and even smells hot. The low rpm throttle response becomes erratic, and it feels like it?s running very lean. It may be one of those emissions dodges that is programmed in? Low octane petrol doesn?t help in my experience, and a good run on the open road seems to clear it. Always using at least 97 grade petrol also seems to help.
It?s not you, it?s the bike trying to be green is my take on it!

I would agree fuel may be a factor. Definitely worth giving the bike some decent stuff. Esso supreme is ethanol free (in most places) despite the E5 on the nozzle, so its very clean. Ethanol doesn?t do engines any favours.

Funny thing is, I've only put 97 in for the last two fill-ups, I used 95 before that! The KTM only uses 95 so it took me a while to realise the BMW is pricier to run...

Once I've checked nothing's falling off (the bike), I'll just try and remember to keep the revs open a little more when coming to stop. Bit counter-intuitive but will keep me rolling to I get round to a service (it's only at 3.5k so a while yet)

Just to chip in on the side stand issue - mine was loose when I swapped engines recently - so definitely worth checking...

Well, the good news is that my side stand isn't dangling off :joyous: Stand bolted on tight, battery terminals fine, fuelled with 97.

Will see if it does it again and might need to bite the bullet and put it into the dealer to see if they can spot what it is. Don't you just love random faults? :grumpy:

NO! :D

Mine had intermittent bogging down below 4k rpm which I eventually diagnosed as a faulty coilpack / spark plug cap.

The insulation was split so it was shorting to the head.

Symptoms were basically running on 3 cylinders below 4k rpm and mostly fine over 4k rpm...

This did not throw a fault code either so tricky to pin down...

Does this happen in traffic or on open roads? It could be an issue with the intake air temperature sensor. You can monitor this on the clocks. It will normally be a few degrees above ambient air temperature. The sensor is prone to heat soak and can be relocated. Easy to check!

Does this happen in traffic or on open roads? It could be an issue with the intake air temperature sensor. You can monitor this on the clocks. It will normally be a few degrees above ambient air temperature. The sensor is prone to heat soak and can be relocated. Easy to check!

So far, just in traffic. Off for a longish run today so will see if it happens again

Ok, 160 mile round trip with mostly motorway, some twisty and some town riding.

No stalling this time but there was a bit of fuelling stumbling on a couple of occasions when riding slowly through heavy traffic on the M25. The actual temperature was 20/21 and the 'In air' reading stayed mostly around 25 but did go up to 27 at one point. Not sure if this is enough difference to trigger the issue?

Back