M sport front end feel issues

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky83

Reaction score
I've recently upgraded my 2018 sport to a brand new m sport, on the whole in very impressed, the speed in which it changes direction is fantastic. Which leads me on to my next question, I've noticed that in slower corners and roundabouts ect I've found when I get to a certain lean angle the bike feels very sensitive. The slightest imperfection in the road and I feel like the front is going to tuck. I was getting mid to high 40's on lean angle on my old bike but only high 30's to low 40's. Has anybody else experienced this? I dont know if it's a characteristic of having carbon wheels or it's just me? Would be interested to hear if anyone has the same issue?

i think what your saying is right. the front sometimes at low speeds can be sensitive and i had the same when fitting carbon wheels on a gixer. i also think the lean angle indication is way different to the gen 3 i had before. on the gen 3 i had knee down at 47 to 48 and on the gen 4 at 43 44 degrees. i have also only got over to 54 on both sides and was doing 57 easily on the gen 3. it is a different beast all round. :) the more i ride mine the more it makes sense and think its just miles under the belt need for you too.

Glad it's not just me?. I'm a lanky sod and get my knee down at 40 degrees. But it definitely feels like it gets to a point and then just wants to fall away. Done 1000 miles so I'm sure I will gain confidence and get used to it.

To be honest, I don't think it's anything to do with the carbon wheels, as what you have explained above of the Gen 3 vs the Gen 4, I'm experiencing exactly the same with my Gen 4 which has the M forged wheels. I think it might be more to do with the rubber and shape of the tyres. First time I've experienced Metzeler rubber, and looking at the rear tyre from behind I can see the tyre has a different shape to that of my Bridgestones on the Gen 3, the Metzeler's visually look taller and higher with more of a rounded edge. That combined with different compound rubber might be making a difference. Like you Rocky, I was getting higher lean angles on my Gen 3.

Very good point. I noticed the same thing actually when I changed to slicks on my track bike. The profile of the tyre is different. Be interesting to see if people have noticed a difference in characteristics when running a different brand tyre.

i went from the k3's to the m9rrs and i do think its more stable on the front, well all round really. im going for the m7rr next as a comparison to what i had on the gen 3.

Reading this thread confirms what I've been thinking, I'm not as confident in the front end as previous gen 3's I've had and I am putting it down to the k3's. I had carbon wheels on my last gen 3 with s21's and the front felt much better.

K3?s suck, didn?t like them on the gen 3, like them even less on the gen 4.
a bit better since I got the suspension set up but still not got the confidence in them of the m7rr

Daz

I think I'm getting used to them though as the miles are coming along. Once I've done a track day will build more confidence with them I guess, but that's end of August.

i think what your saying is right. the front sometimes at low speeds can be sensitive and i had the same when fitting carbon wheels on a gixer. i also think the lean angle indication is way different to the gen 3 i had before. on the gen 3 i had knee down at 47 to 48 and on the gen 4 at 43 44 degrees. i have also only got over to 54 on both sides and was doing 57 easily on the gen 3. it is a different beast all round. :) the more i ride mine the more it makes sense and think its just miles under the belt need for you too.

I jumped straight from the GEN 3 to GEN 4 M one week to next at Snetterton and had the exact same issues. Really played with my head as you know all your lean angles, speeds etc, especially if you look at a lot of data.

I Use a GOPRO 8, up front and GOPRO MAX 360 on tail and I have studied the footage a fair bit. I make these observations:-

only used RACE mode on K3 tyres. Snetterton, track temp 30 C. 11 stone 5 foot 9.

My knee goes down around 44 degrees around Richies and the faster corners, used to record at least 47 on the gen 3.

And the same 56/57 on the GEN 3. 53/54 tops so far on the 4.

The 4 bounces around like bloody zebedee around Corams. The 3 was super stable. Appreciate I have not set the bike up or tried adjustments, but the 3 was standard in slick mode.

Reading this thread confirms what I've been thinking, I'm not as confident in the front end as previous gen 3's I've had and I am putting it down to the k3's. I had carbon wheels on my last gen 3 with s21's and the front felt much better.

Have you set you sag properly? Because from factory the bike comes without any preload all screws out. And it is thought for a fully dressed 85kg rider and here I also assume with a full gas tank.

Therefore any additional weight would need adjusting the sag. I ran it fully out and first adjusted the steering damper to avoid the front closing in while turning. Then I adjusted the sag and the turning improved significantly felt more in the line and would not close in once leaning and keep line.

Important set sag with your full gear on and also full tank then bmw recommends 40mm front so you put ignition on, put rain mode sit on it and have someone measuring. Just sit feet on pegs. Ideally you should have 80mm (8cm). Check manual.
That is for both race and road.

Then rear sag is 35mm road and 30mm track.

Then ride and ley see how it is now. Hope it helps. It helped me.
I needed like 3-4 turns front preload and full geared with a leather cangaroo suit of 5kg I am total around 95kg+- just for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you set you sag properly? Because from factory the bike comes without any preload all screws out. And it is thought for a fully dressed 85kg rider and here I also assume with a full gas tank.

Therefore any additional weight would need adjusting the sag. I ran it fully out and first adjusted the steering damper to avoid the front closing in while turning. Then I adjusted the sag and the turning improved significantly felt more in the line and would not close in once leaning and keep line.

Important set sag with your full gear on and also full tank then bmw recommends 40mm front so you put ignition on, put rain mode sit on it and have someone measuring. Just sit feet on pegs. Ideally you should have 80mm (8cm). Check manual.
That is for both race and road.

Then rear sag is 35mm road and 30mm track.

Then ride and ley see how it is now. Hope it helps. It helped me.
I needed like 3-4 turns front preload and full geared with a leather cangaroo suit of 5kg I am total around 95kg+- just for reference.

im about 95kgs kitted and with front wound right out i could only get to about 84mm in rain with ignition on. to get 80mm i would need it to be softer so im guessing a respring is needed. having said that i dont have a full tank and im guessing warming the bike with a quick run would be better.

Last edited:
im about 95kgs kitted and with front wound right out i could only get to about 84mm in rain with ignition on. to get 80mm i would need it to be softer so im guessing a respring is needed. having said that i dont have a full tank and im guessing warming the bike with a quick run would be better.

Yes think rather try going on winding roads or a track session first so the fork oil warms up. But that won?t in theory affect the preload. I am kitted at 95kg as well and I am around the 80mm with 3 turns in fork preload.
I will go around to validate this so as having travel between this 80mm and 20mm from bottom of the forks. Will choose dynamic and ride agile then do some sudden braking as if I was on track. Dynamic would have more compression and rebound in this case.

Just to update the thread I had the metzelers swapped over for Bridgestone S22's. The bike has been completely transformed, I'm absolutely made up with how planted and stable it now feels in the slower corners. The metzelers felt so wooden.

Just to update the thread I had the metzelers swapped over for Bridgestone S22's. The bike has been completely transformed, I'm absolutely made up with how planted and stable it now feels in the slower corners. The metzelers felt so wooden.

The Metzelers have softer carcass so that deflection contributes to a particular feel not everyone likes. I also prefer harder carcass so good to know the now famous S22 is hard.
I would normally go for Dunlop Sportsmart TT also harder carcass.

Latest posts

Back