Akrapovic Full system and BMW Warranty

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julestys

Reaction score
Advise would be most welcome.

Having fitted a full Akrapovic Titanium System inc Moto GP end can, I have found the bike does not run that well from cold and advised that the bike will run lean?
Also heard that the bike will adapt to the new system over time.

BMW dealer did mention an ECU Flash, although now advised that BMW do not have a full systemoption for the 2019 S1000RR as yet so there is no software update forre-mapping.

Dealer has saidIf the bike has not been adaptedfor a full system replace it will affect the running of the bike, it will alsorun lean and could damage the valves.
If this occurs BMW would notwarranty the damage as it is not an authorised repair/replace, anything to dowith the engine or connected electrics would be void.
In regards to dyno re-mappingall of the above still applies.

So what do I do now?

Seems odd that no software update from BMW and I am now risking the warranty

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
Jules

The ECU will do some adaption over time, how much is any one's guess. Ride for 50 miles every day and it maybe much better after a week. Also make sure you're on the latest firmware for the ECU.

Alternatively.
Send ECU and Throttle to RS2E, Ask for 'S' street map to be applied (if it's not a track bike you might as well have the version that has Knock control etc).
Job done.
You're welcome.

Thanks Alex

The ECU will do some adaption over time, how much is any one's guess. Ride for 50 miles every day and it maybe much better after a week. Also make sure you're on the latest firmware for the ECU.

Alternatively.
Send ECU and Throttle to RS2E, Ask for 'S' street map to be applied (if it's not a track bike you might as well have the version that has Knock control etc).
Job done.
You're welcome.

The dealer fitted my akra headers and the bike runs fine. No mention of any problems doing this, or warranty etc. Who fitted the full system?

System was fitted by a motorbike garage near me, I was there when he did it. Did a proper job re refitting sensors etc, so no issues there.
Hopefully the bike will adjust over time as it does just seem to be on start up, and heard they run lean then anyway.
Just a bit nervy when dealer says possible warranty issues with valves if the bike is running lean
Apparently BMW have not approved any systems yet (as a new model) and the flash will only be available when they do

The dealer fitted my akra headers and the bike runs fine. No mention of any problems doing this, or warranty etc. Who fitted the full system?

Does fitting a new system affect the warranty then? Or is it more to do with them already laying the groundwork for any warranty claims to be disregarded

It would only cause an issue with warranty if there was a problem with the bike and bmw could identify it was due to the system being fitted. Many many s1000rrs have aftermarket systems fitted and I don?t know of anyone having had a warranty issue because of this factor.

Thanks. I've got a Austin racing slip on on now but I'd like to upgrade to the full system next year I think.

They will use any excuse they can to get out of warranty work though

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

You could argue the same about any aftermarket part fitted to the bike but in reality bmw dealers (from my experience) dont behave that way. And its BMW UK that authorise warranty work, not the dealer. Wear and tear issues tend to be the most controversial items on warranties, not component failures.

Sounds like the system is set up to run with all the cats etc and they are saying that the Akra full system has not been approved, in fact no full system has been approved as yet.
Slip on are fine as they do not disrupt all the stuff thats there before it.

Does fitting a new system affect the warranty then? Or is it more to do with them already laying the groundwork for any warranty claims to be disregarded

Spoken the the BMW dealer and he said that unless it was a blatent problem that could be caused by the exhaust or the mapping then they would usually not mention to BMW when entering the warranty claim
Thought I may look to add a power commander to improve how lean the engine runs, although full system and remapped will just give them another reason so will stay as is

You could argue the same about any aftermarket part fitted to the bike but in reality bmw dealers (from my experience) dont behave that way. And its BMW UK that authorise warranty work, not the dealer. Wear and tear issues tend to be the most controversial items on warranties, not component failures.

I'm new to BMW bikes, recently purchased a BMW approved S1000RR 2017 Sport.
Forgive my lack of knowledge, I have fitted a homologated Arrow GP slip on with removable baffles. I was looking at a full system but decided against it. I asked myself Why would I want to fit a full non homologated system to my bike?

Interesting read https://www.walker-eu.com/en-uk/walker-know-how/why-homologated-exhaust-system/

it says
"We need to have in mind that the main characteristic of a homologated Muffler, or catalytic converter, is that, the exhaust or catalytic converter has passed some test to ensure that the back-pressure is the right one for the optimum performance of the engine".

"In newer vehicles (after EURO IV), the use of non-homologated exhaust systems can cause premature failures, and serious damage to new, expensive and sophisticated systems".

As I said I'm new to Beemers and trying to understand.

i expect to be educated now

Last edited:
I would have expected BMW to have approved systems by Akrapovic etc as they are fitted to the race bikes etc.
Bike has been out for 12 months and aftermarket exhausts are a very popular option.
Ducati I am sure did not take so long to sort out exhausts for the V4 S etc

I'm new to BMW bikes, recently purchased a BMW approved S1000RR 2017 Sport.
Forgive my lack of knowledge, I have fitted a homologated Arrow GP slip on with removable baffles. I was looking at a full system but decided against it. I asked myself Why would I want to fit a full non homologated system to my bike?

Interesting read https://www.walker-eu.com/en-uk/walker-know-how/why-homologated-exhaust-system/

it says
"We need to have in mind that the main characteristic of a homologated Muffler, or catalytic converter, is that, the exhaust or catalytic converter has passed some test to ensure that the back-pressure is the right one for the optimum performance of the engine".

"In newer vehicles (after EURO IV), the use of non-homologated exhaust systems can cause premature failures, and serious damage to new, expensive and sophisticated systems".

As I said I'm new to Beemers and trying to understand.

i expect to be educated now

Back