Don't groan...Tyres

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGodfather

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
has anyone fitted a 190 on the rear. I like my gp racer Dunlops. Being a 190 and a bugger to fit at best of times, wondered how they'd go seeing as the bike comes with 200 section on.
I'm guessing look into rim size to check.

Don't groan,,,,Tyres

Yes you can fit a 190/55 profile tyre on Gen 4?s that are equipped with the M-forged or carbon rims. Your BMW dealer can recalibrate the DTC for that size too, which I would recommend.

Once the K3?s on mine are knackered, I?ll be doing this too. Fancy trying the M9RR?s [emoji41]

Last edited:
Re: Don't groan,,,,Tyres

Cheers. I won't bother getting it calibrated as I do run the bridgstone V02 as well. But I prefer the Dunlop.

Track bike i only use slicks.

Last edited:

how do you mean? they are 200/655 from memory? (655 is diameter,not aspect ratio)

If you compare / measure the width, they are a big 190 / small 200 which ever way you want to look at it, irrespective of the 200 on the side wall.

If you compare / measure the width, they are a big 190 / small 200 which ever way you want to look at it, irrespective of the 200 on the side wall.

ahh ok,from tyre edge to edge? wonder why they dont call them 195 then? will have to go measure them now :)

i do know the 655 confuses people though

So to add to the confusion.... so a 6 inch rim is designed to take anything from a 180 to a 200. Add to the fact that even with the same manufacturer a 180 can be the same profile width as a 200 when measured on the rim (Ever measured Pirelli?s 180/60 on a rim). Then add manufacturers differ on what they count as the 180, 190, 200 width when mounted.... The point I?m trying to make is don?t get hang up on the bigger width is better view.

The grip and thus TC calibration is more to do with carcass deformation and tyre compound, than tyre width....

See how a slick works under stress (pics).... ideally you don?t want the wave pattern at the contact patch...

Michelin and previously Bridgestone used to take moulds of the most important corners at each MotoGP circuit so they could design a tyres that?s pretty good for all of them. The biggest change in MotoGP this year.... Michelin?s new rear tyre. It?ll be interesting to see who it benefits. Earlier in the year.... certainly not Honda. J

Attachments

• 2AA03F8C-6BFD-43A5-985B-905043810DAE.jpeg
    2AA03F8C-6BFD-43A5-985B-905043810DAE.jpeg
    872.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 39BCB496-2336-40E8-8811-FF2747E58956.jpeg
    39BCB496-2336-40E8-8811-FF2747E58956.jpeg
    976.6 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Tyre Size

I wouldn?t bother drawing any conclusions about the differences between 200 and 190 tyre sizes. There is just too much variation between tyre manufactures when it comes to rolling circumference and actual measurements etc. For example a Metzeler 200/55 will physically differ in size to a Bridgestone 200/55 and so on. The point is the measurements for a 200/55 tyre from one brand may be similar to a 190/55 of another, but completely different to a 200/55 from another. That said pretty much all of them will fit on a standard size rear wheel be it cast, forged or carbon fibre.

NB - if you do this to your road bike, be very careful. It isn't the tyre that's the problem - as stated above, 180 - 200 will all fit, and there's a strong argument for 190s on the Gen4, BUT (and it's a very BIG BUT) your insurance company will be looking for any reason to void a claim - ANY REASON. The fact that one manufacturer's 190 is the same as another's 200 won't cut the ice with a "loss adjuster". So, check with them first, and make sure they note the change to a 'non-recommended size'. It's bollocks, I know, but I would hate for anyone to fall foul of the parasites.

My 40 years of experience with loss adjusters is that they are all car guys. They wouldn't know a full system from a std pipe or anything aftermarket. It's all down to the dealer and how they handle them. If the dealer says it's standard, the loss adjuster will put it down as standard. As long as the tyres aren't slick or have 'not for road use' highlighted in fluro orange, they'll be happy. My last bike that was written off, I managed to persuade the loss adjuster to pay me more than what I paid for it as the cost of replacing it was more. Just because you got a bargain doesn't mean you should loose out with the replacement. J

^^exactly^^ I've written about 4 bikes off on the road and never had an issue with any of them.
The last one I did, the tow truck guy warned me he was coming and said to take anything off it I wanted to keep. He basically took away a rolling chassis.

NB - if you do this to your road bike, be very careful. It isn't the tyre that's the problem - as stated above, 180 - 200 will all fit, and there's a strong argument for 190s on the Gen4, BUT (and it's a very BIG BUT) your insurance company will be looking for any reason to void a claim - ANY REASON. The fact that one manufacturer's 190 is the same as another's 200 won't cut the ice with a "loss adjuster". So, check with them first, and make sure they note the change to a 'non-recommended size'. It's bollocks, I know, but I would hate for anyone to fall foul of the parasites.

I always get my local dealer to recalibrate the DTC for a 190/55, for precisely the reason you describe. Just gives total peace of mind

i've run the 190 and 200, not much difference i can see, certainly hasn't needed to go to the dealers, mostly running 200 now; 55 not 60. all hunky dory. run in slick mode most of the time so not relying on tc to do anything.

Back