First Track day on the Gen 4

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gav, glad to hear you had a good time and the feedback on the Gen 4. Looking forward to doing a track day on mine at Donny. Not sure about the brake judder but sure some more experienced track day people will soon be along to advise.
Hey up Schuey are you at Donno on Thursday next week.

Interested to hear what modes are you using on track; dynamic, race, race pro ?

I don?t bother with the stock rider modes on track and have it set in Race Pro on track (dynamic on road). They have 4 settings for each parameter, 4 being max. I?ll need to check the settings again but from memory, engine 1, engine brake 1, DTC 2, wheelie 1, ABS 2? DDC, 5, 5, 5. Suspension I still need to have a fiddle with now I?ve set the sag.

Another TD update. (If anyone is interested)

I went to Wetterton, sorry Snetteron yesterday. And rode in some proper biblical weather...never again! Well, never again will be indecisive about changing to wets. However it did show how damn good the electronics were even on road tyres. (Michelin RS+) I set up the Pro riding mode for basically wet riding. I could have just gone with the pre-set rider modes but the problem is when you use the normal modes it throws up tons of warning messages because the lights etc are unplugged. (Pro riding modes disables the warnings)

Got to say even in the wet with fast road tyres, the bike performed so well on a wet track. In fact even with the track being so wet i would say the electronics were too intrusive however it is better to be safe than sorry. (Especially as it is my only bike for everything). However I do really wish i swapped to wets though just to see how well it would perform. . However it did dry out for a couple of sessions and it was worth sticking with the Michelins, well i say that. The more confidence and the more i gel with the bike the more i am not liking those tyres. Odd because i always felt confident on the Gen 3 with them but on the 4 they just seem to inspire grip confidence. So will be looking at something better for track work after i have killed these off.

The other thing I now need to work on is suspension setup. Setting the sag helped, it seemed to turn more eagerly than the last TD. This mostly being due to pitching a bit more weight on the nose. But I still wasn't getting full travel in heavy braking zones. Going by the magic grease ring indicator on the stanchions, I had about an inch still remaining on the forks . I guess these forks run a fair bit of compression damping stock. So I will need to wind more compression off (+4 at the moment). Anyone know what the stock setting is? Is the baseline zero? So i will have another go setting that up at Donny next month. Back end felt good though and doesn't seem to squirm about but i was getting a few slides, again this could be down to the tyres.

But I will say it again, the Gen 4 is a proper weapon on track and just so much fun to ride. Now i need to find some aftermarket fairings.

Why do you want to bottom out on full heavy braking? I mean when you say that you have left an inch. For me that is ok assuming you?re not a pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do you want to bottom out on full heavy braking? I mean when you say that you have left an inch. For me that is ok assuming you?re not a pro.

I am not sure where i mentioned i wanted it to bottom out? Who'd want that. But you do want to use all available travel without bottoming out during heavy braking. If the front end is not weighting properly after heavy braking. This could explain why i am getting a vague feeling in the tyres and why it can feel reluctant to turn after a heavy braking zone. (failed to mention the last part)

And no, I am not a pro, not that matters. But I want to setup the suspension correctly to get the most out of the bike. I take an interest in suspension setup and want to share what I am discovering with other Gen 4 owners who maybe having similar issues.

I am not sure where i mentioned i wanted it to bottom out? Who'd want that. But you do want to use all available travel without bottoming out during heavy braking. If the front end is not weighting properly after heavy braking. This could explain why i am getting a vague feeling in the tyres and why it can feel reluctant to turn after a heavy braking zone. (failed to mention the last part)

And no, I am not a pro, not that matters. But I want to setup the suspension correctly to get the most out of the bike. I take an interest in suspension setup and want to share what I am discovering with other Gen 4 owners who maybe having similar issues.

Ok now understand.
Still using the whole 120mm travel means bottoming up or? If by any reason there is a bump in your way and you?re at full brake at 118mm that slight bump will have you bottoming or the tail dancing etc.
That is why I wanted to understand what is your full use of the travel? For me is from 40 to 90-100mm max. Of travel. I?m no moto go but feel a reserve is always good.

One thing I have with Metzelers or some Pirellis is that on hard braking they keep it standing then you finish your braking and still bike wants stand, on the moment you release the lever the bike ?falls? down to in the turn. The Project Manager of the RR told me that is to be expected. I use better the Dunlop?s and those are harder so the feel is consistent on hard braking and one can gradually lean it while finishing the brake.
Would this be what you mention about reluctance?

Had my first day last Thursday at Donington. The Bike was fantastic Im not a fast rider but managed a 1m 59s which Im pleased with. There was a guy on a 2014 R1 on slicks in the fast group doing 1m 50s so being on road tyres Ill take being 9 secs slower.
Pit Exit Small 2.jpg
First time out of pit exit does anyone know the BMW beside me.

Had my first day last Thursday at Donington. The Bike was fantastic Im not a fast rider but managed a 1m 59s which Im pleased with. There was a guy on a 2014 R1 on slicks in the fast group doing 1m 50s so being on road tyres Ill take being 9 secs slower.
View attachment 5445
First time out of pit exit does anyone know the BMW beside me.
Not bad for a first day Tom! Take you time and learn the track and practice riding.

Decent pace on slicks is 1:38-1:40 on more or less stock bike.

Ok now understand.
Still using the whole 120mm travel means bottoming up or? If by any reason there is a bump in your way and you?re at full brake at 118mm that slight bump will have you bottoming or the tail dancing etc.
That is why I wanted to understand what is your full use of the travel? For me is from 40 to 90-100mm max. Of travel. I?m no moto go but feel a reserve is always good.

One thing I have with Metzelers or some Pirellis is that on hard braking they keep it standing then you finish your braking and still bike wants stand, on the moment you release the lever the bike ?falls? down to in the turn. The Project Manager of the RR told me that is to be expected. I use better the Dunlop?s and those are harder so the feel is consistent on hard braking and one can gradually lean it while finishing the brake.
Would this be what you mention about reluctance?

Ah yes I get what you are saying using, full all the way to the bump stop isn't what you want at all. I checked the bike last night after the TD at Snetterton and there is 45mm left of travel if that makes sense. So that means it is using around 75mm travel. Probably less actually if you take into account the sag.

I come from a Motocross background and have good knowledge of off-road suspenion. But on track that knowledge doesn't translate into all areas haha.

Interesting what you are saying about the tyres as well. I would say it is similar to what you have just said. Because as mentioned before it is only in hard braking areas.

Back