First Track day on the Gen 4

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavD101

Reaction score
I had my first Track day on the Gen 4 at Silverstone GP yesterday. I was apprehensive because the night before the bike started spluttering and died on cold startups. (Apparently a known issue). But thankfully throughout the day it was fine. Still couldn't get into neutral though haha.

I've rode this track once before and really struggled with it to be honest. But something clicked yesterday and I put that down to the bike. What a weapon, first few laps i really had to reset my brain. It is so fast compared to the Gen 3. And that is no disrespect to the Gen 3 as that was a bonkers fast bike already. But the Gen 4 just takes it a bit further.

But it is not the straight line speed that shined. Handling, wow! I was giggling like a kid at the way it behaved. Trying new lines and being more confident than i ever have been. (New bike syndrome maybe?) I had a new set of Michelin RS + in the garage which i bought on the cheap last year, so fitted those. Plus I fitted new Brambo SC pads and changed the brake fluid to RBF660. (More on this on this in a minute)

The bike is just so fluid, so much fun and turns where you want it to. I am not a fast rider and not one who attempts to get their knee down on every corner, i usually use it to know how far leant over i am. But I was getting my knee down fair more frequently than expected. It got to a point i actually had to alter my body position slightly.

One thing i had an issue with was high speed brake judder. Down hanger straight into Stowe is fast (for me), about 155 i saw a few times and into heavy braking. Same for Wellington, that has a heavy braking zone as well. BTW the brakes are absolutely awesome. I had no fade throughout the sessions. Both had huge amounts of brake judder. The pads had about 40 miles bedding in on the road and then the first session, sighting laps etc probably another 30 miles. More than enough to not cause issues. They got marginally better but still had the judder throughout the day. Any one have any ideas what may cause it? Rotors are not warped, wheel spins freely etc.

Only other thing i found was the tyres were easy to slide without warning. I found these tyres fine on the Gen 3 and a good middle ground if the track is wet/damp or hot and dry. But this time it just felt they couldn't hook up as well. Not as confident inspiring as i thought they would be.

Anyway i think i have a new found love and no matter how finicky it is, on track makes up for it.

Hi Gav, glad to hear you had a good time and the feedback on the Gen 4. Looking forward to doing a track day on mine at Donny. Not sure about the brake judder but sure some more experienced track day people will soon be along to advise.

I was there yesterday in the red group on a Hockenheim Silver Gen4. It was a great day, glad you liked the bike. I'm also now feeling a lot more at home on mine after 5 yrs on RSV4s.

I was there yesterday in the red group on a Hockenheim Silver Gen4. It was a great day, glad you liked the bike. I'm also now feeling a lot more at home on mine after 5 yrs on RSV4s.

Ah yes, I saw you. Well you on your bike. Looked awesome. For some reason they stuck me in White and I am usually in Blue (I guess that is inters?) When i questioned it they said Blue was very busy. To be fair it was like having an empty track so i didn't mind.

Yes bud! You'll love it at Donny. Hopefully yeah, it was a bit off putting but not enough to dampen the day.

Sounds like you great fun on your new Gen 4 :) Interesting comment about the Michelin Power RS moving about a bit - what pressures were you running ? I did a trackday last Thursday at Knockhill on my Gen 3 running the Power RS and I actually found them pretty good on track - not as good as the Racetec K3's (obviously given they are more track oriented) but a lot better than the M7RR's - I was running Michelin's recommendation of 30.5 F / 27.5 R cold which worked really well and gave a nice wear pattern.

Glad you're enjoying the bike. It might not be break judder but a front suspension set up issue.
I've had no problems with braking hitting 176mph at Montiblanco.

The only time I had brake judder like you describe was at the end of Bentley at Snetterton, and that was down to the discs having slightly warped.

The only time I had brake judder like you describe was at the end of Bentley at Snetterton, and that was down to the discs having slightly warped.

I will check the discs to see if they have any warping. I'd be surprised if it was on a bike that has been only doing road work prior to my mitts getting on it. I did pull the pads out and noticed odd wear on the centre of the pads. Looked like they were getting hotter in the centre by the discolouration. I have rubbed them down to give a more even surface again and will do a bit more road riding before my next track day.

I would say it is pad/disc related rather than suspension as the feel is through the brake lever rather than bars/front end.

Sounds like you great fun on your new Gen 4 :) Interesting comment about the Michelin Power RS moving about a bit - what pressures were you running ? I did a trackday last Thursday at Knockhill on my Gen 3 running the Power RS and I actually found them pretty good on track - not as good as the Racetec K3's (obviously given they are more track oriented) but a lot better than the M7RR's - I was running Michelin's recommendation of 30.5 F / 27.5 R cold which worked really well and gave a nice wear pattern.

Running the same pressures as you but set when hot. Recommended by HMT. Wear pattern is nice though. On my Gen 3 I loved them, even on wet days. Never liked the M7RR's as well but i do want to try K3s next.

Sorry if you posted elsewhere, what?s the list of issues?

Main one was neutral which is non-existant. This i really need sorted as it is a pain in the a*** now.
The other issues were just related to a couple of things that should been inspected/changed before the sale. Those have nothing to do with the bike build in general if that makes sense.

Glad you found the transition OK, I really struggled with the GEN 4 M.

I have done three track days, fast pace and I am still three secs off my Pretty standard GEN 3 times.

The GEN 3 was super stable on the high speed corners. The GEN 4 is so different.

Not a single issue in 1000 miles, apart from the cold start thing occasionally.

Not heard of warped discs on a GEN 4.

Glad you found the transition OK, I really struggled with the GEN 4 M.

I have done three track days, fast pace and I am still three secs off my Pretty standard GEN 3 times.

The GEN 3 was super stable on the high speed corners. The GEN 4 is so different.

Not a single issue in 1000 miles, apart from the cold start thing occasionally.

Not heard of warped discs on a GEN 4.

In regards to times i have never timed myself. So no idea if I/the bike is faster than the Gen 3. I usually sit mid/top pack of inters if i am having a good day. (Mostly middle) If that helps gauge my speed.
There are some pretty fast corners on Silverstone and I cannot say i noticed any stability issues. But what i did find were the tighter corners, obviously the bike wants to turn in quicker and this for me took a lot of getting used to, plus i found it easy to slide the rear on the tight corners. But that could be my wobbler ways!

Guessing you run it in pro modes?

The cold start I have been told is map related and should be updated by the dealer.

ive not used the gen 4 on track as yet but have noticed it dose not like adjustments in corners. once you get used to how fast you can enter and go around the corners without any or too many adjustments then it is sooo much faster.

Can't say i have noticed that bud. Maybe it is different on the road then again i am slow road rider haha.

Ive got some cracking long sweeping bends on my regular work route, never had an issue making adjustments mid corner. one of them I'm doing over 80mph and around 40 degrees as well, thats my favourite corner absolutely love it

Back