Oli?s Gen 4 RR

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like the best idea. Nice clear slate for whatever you choose next. We've seen what letting things fester does.

- Alex

Last edited:
Thanks guys [emoji846]

I?m pursing a full refund at the moment. Once that?s sorted, I?ll start looking into a replacement option.
It will definitely be a BMW, but not an RR for the time being, though I am sure I?ll have one again in a few years or so!
Will have a couple test rides on the R1250GSA and the new XR

Thanks guys [emoji846]

I?m pursing a full refund at the moment. Once that?s sorted, I?ll start looking into a replacement option.
It will definitely be a BMW, but not an RR for the time being, though I am sure I?ll have one again in a few years or so!
Will have a couple test rides on the R1250GSA and the new XR

They're probably the right bikes for you, given you're the same height as me (or taller). Are you not considering the S1000R? Just like the XR, isn't it effectively still the same tech as a Gen 3 RR? You won't need to fit wider bars, it already has them :)

They're probably the right bikes for you, given you're the same height as me (or taller). Are you not considering the S1000R? Just like the XR, isn't it effectively still the same tech as a Gen 3 RR? You won't need to fit wider bars, it already has them :)

Yea I enjoyed the current Gen 3 based R, though there is a new one coming in 21 based on the Gen 4 platform.
I really liked the riding position, but I wasn?t keen on the total lack of wind protection, which then leads me to think XR.

The biggest surprise was the GSA though, as I enjoyed it considerably more than the GS rally I had for a weekend a couple years or so ago!

Yea I enjoyed the current Gen 3 based R, though there is a new one coming in 21 based on the Gen 4 platform.
I really liked the riding position, but I wasn?t keen on the total lack of wind protection, which then leads me to think XR.

The biggest surprise was the GSA though, as I enjoyed it considerably more than the GS rally I had for a weekend a couple years or so ago!

Isn't the new XR built on the same platform as the Gen 4 RR, if so you may experience similar issues to the RR and so IMO the GSA might be the better option for you?

When I ordered my S1R I couldn't decide on the small vs (ugly) large screen, and decided to wait and see what life was like without either. The moment I had the bike I forgot about a screen completely. Maybe I'm weird, just doesn't bother me. Do you still do crazy miles, or is the bike more of a toy when you're not up in Aberdeen. Toys don't need screens, high milers might...

My R is nearing the end of its PCP deal, and I'd been considering swapping it for a Gen 4 (keeping my Gen 2), or a new R. Having read about all the issues people are having with Gen 4s, and also with all the economic uncertainty, I'm currently favouring just buying the R and keeping it a while longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't the new XR built on the same platform as the Gen 4 RR, if so you may experience similar issues to the RR and so IMO the GSA might be the better option for you?

It is indeed, but it doesn?t have the same suspension or ShiftCam, so I don?t think it?s possible to assume the same issues will be directly transferable. That being said, it is definitively more of an unknown quantity than the R1250GSA.
Whilst I enjoyed the GSA and found it a very capable adventure touring bike, for me personally I am still after a sports bike experience. To that end, I think I would enjoy the XR more on my favourite roads than the GSA. But, there are definitely Pros and Cons to both though for sure.

As I say, I?ll test ride the bikes again and mull it over before signing on the dotted line again [emoji846]

When I ordered my S1R I couldn't decide on the small vs (ugly) large screen, and decided to wait and see what life was like without either. The moment I had the bike I forgot about a screen completely. Maybe I'm weird, just doesn't bother me. Do you still do crazy miles, or is the bike more of a toy when you're not up in Aberdeen. Toys don't need screens, high milers might...

My R is nearing the end of its PCP deal, and I'd been considering swapping it for a Gen 4 (keeping my Gen 2), or a new R. Having read about all the issues people are having with Gen 4s, and also with all the economic uncertainty, I'm currently favouring just buying the R and keeping it a while longer.

I quite understand the indifference for fairings. I found the R to be absolutely fine on B roads, but when travelling at nation speed limit ish I didn?t like how it pulls my chubby legs away from the tank and as soon as the wind picks up I found my upper body being blown around more than I am accustomed to on a fully faired bike.
Whilst I don?t do anything like the mileage I used to, I?m never going to be a low or average mileage rider, and particularly for the next few years I?m going to have to do that big round trip from time to time.

Tricky decision, I think only some test rides will determine which is the right option for you. I personally wouldn?t be deterred buying a Gen 4 in model year 2021, as BMW will have had a decent amount of time to sort these issues.

Out of curiosity, if you were to keep the Gen 2 and get a Gen 4, would the former become a track-day bike?

Out of curiosity, if you were to keep the Gen 2 and get a Gen 4, would the former become a track-day bike?

The opposite actually - I was thinking that the older a bike is (even if well maintained), the chances of niggles/failures ruining a TD would increase, so keep the old girl for road use, and use the newer, lighter, faster, waayyyy more valuable bike in an environment where you have to accept that you might bend it... :) This of course completely contradicts how I used the Gen 2 - too scared to risk it on track for the first 18 months...

Oli
have a test on an R1250RS - I rode one last year during a service and was pleasantly surprised at just how capable it was, deceptively quick too.

Always a good day picking up a new bike :) That tall screen look better, is it the pricey BMW tall screen ?

Back