Oli?s Gen 4 RR

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done getting a new machine Oli, I've been that wrapped up prepping my van that I completely missed all of this...bikes looking excellent !

Laughed at your "mythical 85kg rider" comment, its so true..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Thanks oli. Interesting about the 1cm bottoming out. My zip tie isn?t much higher than that.

edit

on the clutch, try adjusting it at the lever end, it transformed the feel and bite point on mine. Before it was all or nothing at the end, now it feels ?normal? i.e. mid point and gradual.

Just like my RR, best clutch I've ever used and so much better than my aged R1 which is all or nothing even despite replacement.

Thanks again everyone for all the kind words [emoji4]

So I delivered the bike to Cannon BMW this afternoon, for its first service. The bike had 693 miles on the odometer.
I have done about 90 % of the running in miles in road mode, as felt the softer throttle response and suspension damping coupled with maximum engine braking made sense for the task at hand.

Following on from my initial impression review, I have to say I was a ?little? underwhelmed with the bike during most of the running in miles.

Pretty much how i felt when I had a couple of demos. One bike was running in, the 2nd time it was run in and both in Road mode. Totally felt underwhelmed. But once I had picked up my Gen 4, stuck in in Dynamic i was much more impressed. But the real break through moment for me was on track. Ditch the preset rider modes and dial it on on Pro race, totally changes the bike. The DDC being less active is a huge plus on track, the bike is more consistent in feel. What did catch me out was sticking the throttle in the most aggressive setting. I thought geez this is proper snatchy but then after 2 corners it just becomes super fluid. Just a shame you cannot have a Pro race mode on the road and really dial it in while having the other functionality the bike offers. Saying that for me Dynamic is more than enough as i am a slow road rider haha.

Will agree though regarding the clutch and setting the free play, that makes a big difference. I like the clutch and will like it even more once they change it so I can find neutral. (Mine is an early production bike)

Cheers guys, collected the bike from Cannon this afternoon, first service complete and the bike is running well.
Thanks @soofsayer, @GavD101 and @Rednine re clutch free play adjustment, I?ve had a fiddle and it?s indeed working better for me; still not spot on, but definitely better, particularly when everything is warmed up. Also, I?ve not had any issues when quickshifting from 5th to 6th.

With regard to the minor niggles being checked/sorted, the bike has had the sump plug replaced and is now no longer leaking. The start up farts from cold, are apparently completely normal, and is just part of the process in which the bike tries to warm up the cats ASAP. This never happens when the engine is warm. The minor fork clunking is present on all other M-Sports at Cannon?s at the moment and my forks have been fully checked and all is OK. Interestingly, the demo Sport model at Cannon?s doesn?t do it, so this might suggest something to do with the Carbon wheel(s). My bike is going back to Cannon Tuesday week, so they can fit the forged wheels off the demo bike to see if that makes any difference. Shall update on how that goes.

In terms of my ongoing riding experience. I have now explored full beans over the whole rev-range and have learned a few new things about the bike. When reading the professional reviews that rant and rave of Ducati?s counter rotating crank and how it is attributed to the bike not being prone to wheelies, I was sort of expecting the Gen 4 to be quite wheelie prone in low gears, as it has even more power than the Gen 3. However, in Race Pro mode, with the engine and DTC set to max attack and with the wheelie control disabled, coming off a very slow speed roundabout in second gear I wound on the power to the stop with my foot hovering over the rear brake expecting to be pointing to the moon in the very near future ... yet ... it never happened. Instead, the bike just builds power and speed in a totally linear fashion and the scenery starts going by faster and faster. Fully appreciate what you mean by electric-like now @soofsayer . The bike is fast, borderline ridiculously fast. But, because it?s able to deploy all that grunt to the ground in such an efficient manner, it doesn?t feel out of control, with no weaving or head-shake, just progress. Deeply impressive stuff.
The quick-shifter is also impeccable at the higher revs. It sounds and feels like a faster shift then on my Gen 3; very ?crisp?, like a premier cru Chablis lol.

The only slight negative in my opinion, is that from ~ 8-10 k rpm, it does vibrate quite significantly. My opinion hasn?t changed on this though, as it?s not really part of the Rev range you spend much time in on the road, but what I will say is that I shall be looking into heavier bar ends ...
One other thing I learned recently, is that the Gen 4 doesn?t seem to have the same can-bus accessory power port as the Gen 3 has, which means hardwiring a Sat-Nav isn?t as seamless as previously. Apparently there is a fuse point under the seat which could be a suitable alternative, but this isn?t ?BMW approved? and so your local dealer may be unwilling to do this for you.

Fingers crossed for good weather over the weekend and enjoy the MotoGP [emoji41]

Last edited:
That was a really interesting and comprehensive read Oli, I've enjoyed reading that and I'm looking forward to the next chapter. So pleased you're really enjoying your new bike.

have you found bar ends yet. im thinking this will be the first time i will get some. the power thing is how you said. i was expecting it to reach for the sun but on the throttle it dosnt. over every little hump and slightly raised bit of road it dose though which is nice. lol,

have you found bar ends yet. im thinking this will be the first time i will get some. the power thing is how you said. i was expecting it to reach for the sun but on the throttle it dosnt. over every little hump and slightly raised bit of road it dose though which is nice. lol,

HVMP and Evotech do. I?m considering getting conventional clipons though. I have a feeling that the vibes are amplified being one piece with the top yoke, and I?d like to position the bars a bit wider.

Haha yea it?s good it does stability and wheelies, depending on the road [emoji2957]

Last edited:
Cheers guys, collected the bike from Cannon this afternoon, first service complete and the bike is running well.
Thanks @soofsayer, @GavD101 and @Rednine re clutch free play adjustment, I?ve had a fiddle and it?s indeed working better for me; still not spot on, but definitely better, particularly when everything is warmed up. Also, I?ve not had any issues when quickshifting from 5th to 6th.

With regard to the minor niggles being checked/sorted, the bike has had the sump plug replaced and is now no longer leaking. The start up farts from cold, are apparently completely normal, and is just part of the process in which the bike tries to warm up the cats ASAP. This never happens when the engine is warm. The minor fork clunking is present on all other M-Sports at Cannon?s at the moment and my forks have been fully checked and all is OK. Interestingly, the demo Sport model at Cannon?s doesn?t do it, so this might suggest something to do with the Carbon wheel(s). My bike is going back to Cannon Tuesday week, so they can fit the forged wheels off the demo bike to see if that makes any difference. Shall update on how that goes.

In terms of my ongoing riding experience. I have now explored full beans over the whole rev-range and have learned a few new things about the bike. When reading the professional reviews that rant and rave of Ducati?s counter rotating crank and how it is attributed to the bike not being prone to wheelies, I was sort of expecting the Gen 4 to be quite wheelie prone in low gears, as it has even more power than the Gen 3. However, in Race Pro mode, with the engine and DTC set to max attack and with the wheelie control disabled, coming off a very slow speed roundabout in second gear I wound on the power to the stop with my foot hovering over the rear brake expecting to be pointing to the moon in the very near future ... yet ... it never happened. Instead, the bike just builds power and speed in a totally linear fashion and the scenery starts going by faster and faster. Fully appreciate what you mean by electric-like now @soofsayer . The bike is fast, borderline ridiculously fast. But, because it?s able to deploy all that grunt to the ground in such an efficient manner, it doesn?t feel out of control, with no weaving or head-shake, just progress. Deeply impressive stuff.
The quick-shifter is also impeccable at the higher revs. It sounds and feels like a faster shift then on my Gen 3; very ?crisp?, like a premier cru Chablis lol.

The only slight negative in my opinion, is that from ~ 8-10 k rpm, it does vibrate quite significantly. My opinion hasn?t changed on this though, as it?s not really part of the Rev range you spend much time in on the road, but what I will say is that I shall be looking into heavier bar ends ...
One other thing I learned recently, is that the Gen 4 doesn?t seem to have the same can-bus accessory power port as the Gen 3 has, which means hardwiring a Sat-Nav isn?t as seamless as previously. Apparently there is a fuse point under the seat which could be a suitable alternative, but this isn?t ?BMW approved? and so your local dealer may be unwilling to do this for you.

Fingers crossed for good weather over the weekend and enjoy the MotoGP [emoji41]

Hi Oli,

Glad you're enjoying it. I can confirm my Sport with PP does the fork clunking too, mine has the Forged Wheels so I don't think it's going to make any difference swapping them out. When I complained about mine, I had my dealer look at it, and he showed me an M-Sport and Sport in the dealership that did exactly the same so I went away satisfied that it's just the way it is.

. The start up farts from cold, are apparently completely normal, and is just part of the process in which the bike tries to warm up the cats ASAP. This never happens when the engine is warm. The minor fork clunking is present on all other M-Sports at Cannon?s at the moment and my forks have been fully checked and all is OK. Interestingly, the demo Sport model at Cannon?s doesn?t do it, so this might suggest something to do with the Carbon wheel(s).

The cold start issue seems to be hit and miss from what i am reading. Some bikes don't suffer from it, while others are a dog (like mine) it sounds like it runs on 3 cylinders and can die. But once warm it is fine. If it is hard start apparently engaging the clutch helps remove increase the rotational speed of the starter motor, making it easier to start. Mine is going back to the dealer to have it looked at as i've been told there should be a new cold start map to fix the issue.

Regarding the clunks, this is a sport and i cannot say have had any noises come from mine. So maybe it is partly to do with the wheels?

Either way with all the niggles you will still love it and the best bike i have had and ridden to date. Just get it on track then it makes even more sense :D

@Oli - there is a can bus plug which can be used for a sat nav (there are 2 actually). I've got mine plugged into it. I've re used the same plug I'd previously used on my Gen 3 - it fits. The manual is not exactly clear on its location though. Both are on the left hand side. The first one is lower down behind the side fairing - this one is for the 2D sensor. The second one, which I'm using, is under the tank cover. Again, on the left hand side. I did post pictures of it previously which should show it.

Thanks @oldwobbler for reminding me of your SatNav thread, that?s brilliant, I?ll get the TomTom hard wired into the CANBUS just like I had on my Gen 3, on Tuesday with a bit of luck [emoji846]

I?ve recently had Ilmberger Carbon frame and swing-arm covers, Lightech Chain Adjusters and a standard height non-M seat fitted and had the tank charcoal ?evap? canister removed using the following kit from Alpha Racing

https://shop.alpharacing.com/shop/i...7&products_id=25053&cPath=393_1357_1405_1407&

Virtually all aftermarket work on my bike is carried out by Simon at Race Engineering in Dunmow, Essex.
All ?BMW? related work is carried out at Cannon BMW, in Witham.

I?ve never had any of these parts/mods done before. I wanted the carbon covers for a few reasons: firstly the paint wore on my Gen 3, so wanted to prevent this from happening again; secondly the frames get very hot, so wanted to shield myself from some of the excess heat, and finally, as the swing arm is now a painted item, I wanted to prevent this from ?speckling? over time, as this even occurred on my Gen 3. The quality of the Ilmberger kit is excellent, the ?long? frame covers cover virtually all of the visible frame, fit superbly and even have a cutout for the VIN stamp on the frame. As the bike required undressing in order to fit these, something I found interesting is that the black painted shark gill-like panel on the right hand fairing, does not seem to serve any functional purpose, so can be removed. For some odd reason though, the Ilmberger cover doesn?t cover the entire frame on the right hand side, near this section, so it might be prudent to fit small frame sliders if you wanted total coverage.

The lightech chain adjusters facilitate chain adjustment and have the optional SBK style lifters. Harris Racing sell bobbins for their stands, so you don?t need to replace the entire stand should you wish to use this setup. The motivation for removing the tank evap system, is basically that they are not required in the UK, so just take up space, add weight, and can cause issues. The kit weighs the best part of 750 g, which is quite satisfying knowing that?s no longer on the bike, as it is as if I?ve just lost some weight lol.

With regards to the suspension, I had Simon give me a hand taking the sag measurements. The owners handbook states that you should have 40 mm rider sag for the forks and 35 mm rider sag (or 30 mm for track use) for the shock. I had the measurements taken in the Race Pro mode, as the sag measurements shouldn?t vary between modes, and interestingly I had 38 mm rider sag in the forks and bang on 35 mm in the shock. Given that I weigh over a 100 kg not ready to ride and the handbook states the the bike is initially setup for an 85 kg rider, this was most surprising. Whilst I have been throughly enjoying the Race Pro mode, I have found the suspension to be harsh using the Dave Moss settings over bumpy British B-roads, and it has a slight tendency to kick me out of the seat when hitting bumps at speed.
I?ve reduced the compression damping to 2 and increased the rebound damping to 6 in the shock, which makes it easier for the shock to compress and reduces the rate at which the shock re-extends following a compression. For me this has made a significant improvement to the way the shock is handling bumps and no-longer kicks me out the seat. Whilst the forks behave well with damping at 10 when they are ?palpated?, for want of a better word, when stationary, with the new shock settings the front end felt a tad odd, as if it was riding too high when on the move. I subsequently reduced the damping to 9 in the forks, which instantly improved things and the bike returned to feeling more balanced front to back.
I am felling pretty happy with the back of the bike at this point, however, I do feel the forks could be improved, as looking at the fantastically useful dust-seal grease fork travel indicator, it appears that I am regularly bottoming out, or near as damn it bottoming out the forks. Considering the sag settings are good and the damping is fairly high in the adjustment range, and considering I?ve yet to use the brakes in anger, something needs changing. That?ll be a job for Darren at MCT though.
Whilst I didn?t make any preload changes, I thought I?d give the DDC calibration a go, and whereas on the Gen 3 you could do this on paddock stands or on the side stand, on the Gen 4 it seems this can only be completed on the side stand.

Totally random finding, but it turns out that 18 mph is the minimum speed the cruise control can be set to, which I think is faster than it was on the Gen 3. In first gear, at this rpm, it does seem the bike?s fuelling isn?t as crisp as the Gen 3?s. Moreover, when riding the bike, I have noticed on a number of occasions that the initial ?crack? of the throttle results in a fairly abrupt throttle input. I?m not sure if that?s due to me, the Race throttle map, the fuelling, or a combination of the three, but it?s definitely not quite as crisp as a stock Gen 3.
Minor annoyances/quirks that I?ve since discovered, which I believe have already been documented on the forum, are things like the fact that it appears in Race Pro modes you are unable to adjust the trip functions, so they are fixed on whatever function you last had when in one of the default riding modes. Moreover, in Race Pro mode it is a shame that the connectivity features are not available, though I do understand the logic behind this. What I don?t understand is why in order to switch between Race Pro modes and the default riding modes one has to enter the settings menu and acknowledge the fact that connectivity features are disabled in Race Pro modes, every, single, time ? Surely it wouldn?t be an issue for the user to tick that box ?once?, and then have access to all half a dozen odd modes from the switch gear ?

I?ve recently fitted the standard seat and am a bit disappointed, as for me it isn?t that much more comfortable than the M-seat. I am definitely going to have to go down the seat custom mod route, as ideally I?d like the seat to be flatter, wider and with a channel cutout to, quite literally, give my plumbs a break.
There?s a place near Brands Hatch that do this sort of stuff, and I?ll speak to the lovely folk at Hideout Leather and see if they know someone.
Oh and for anyone interested in changing to aftermarket clip-ons, the fork diameter is 55 mm and the clip-on diameter is 22 mm. I shall be getting a set of ABM Tour multi-clip clip-ons, in order to hopefully gain leverage and increase comfort, as being a larger frame rider I find the standard clip-on position to be too narrow with regard to pull-back, and having a previous wrist/arm injury this sort of stuff is important to me.

With regard to tyres, I am lucky that my bike came fitted with Metzeller RaceTech RR K3?s as the OEM fitment rubber.
They?re a good tyre, but I have to say I think they?re unnecessary for road use.
The rear end grip, driving out of corners is excellent, in the dry, and the front end is solid. But, I don?t find myself carrying anymore speed into corners then I do with a more road biased sport tyre, and whereas any other type of tyre will last several thousand miles, my front tyre is getting perilously close to the wear markers on the shoulders and it?s only done circa 1,500 miles, which considering the best part of 700 of those miles was running in mileage, isn?t great ? However, in their defence, they aren?t proper aftermarket K3?s and some of this may well be due to the Gen 4?s setup. But still, they?ve worn ridiculously fast, so shall be changing to M9RR?s next, but in a smaller 190/55 rear profile.

Have used the BMW semi-soft luggage quite a bit now and am really impressed with it. The small tank bag is rather, small lol. However, you can still fit all your regular use, essential items. Is tremendously useful and for anyone who liked the Wunderlich bag on previous Gen bikes, you?ll be very happy with this I am sure.
The 10 L tail bag, is also excellent. It is extremely secure, of decent size, and I think looks really good on the bike.

Next update will be when the bike has had the front end clunking test with non-carbon wheels and probably when I?ve switched tyres.

Hope you?ve all had a good weekend and enjoyed the MotoGP [emoji846]

bc356d9e89ce04db70fbc23acbb64790.jpg

Photo 1. Errrm, this was not a 5 minute job lol.

9d4dcdef922b9e15cb1d907d745d17fb.jpg

b98f7a9c97b633248157c6c85488f889.plist

6afa741504c6ceb33072b9c29cdbc6bd.jpg

Photos 2-4. Recent ride to Orford. Was a good test of the Gen 4 over a variety of roads.

I think that tailpack is very smart Oli, you've encouraged me to spend a few more quid! Also, you don't bugger about taking your new bike to pieces do you.? :applause:

I think that tailpack is very smart Oli, you've encouraged me to spend a few more quid! Also, you don't bugger about taking your new bike to pieces do you.? :applause:

I?m glad you like it, it did a splendid job carrying my pack lunch that day lol [emoji23]
Motorcycling is a seemingly never ending expense!

I wouldn?t trust myself doing all that lot, could just imagine getting stuck half way or having a handful of bolts leftover at the end lol.
The injector rails needed lifting to remove the evap system!

Why did you remove the EVAP? I mean yours is a road bike after all...

To be honest it?s more just for completeness rather than any real necessity.

They?re not required in the UK and my intention is to fit a full system, so any emissions related stuff is totally redundant.
Evap systems can cause hot start issues (or at least that?s been documented on other bikes) and they take up space behind the fairing, so figured just ditch all the unnecessary stuff.

Great thread oli
Really helpful to get my head around what to think about and what not to be concerned about when I pick mine up. Not sure I will be adding the level of mods that you are planning but always good to know what's possible
Thanks nige

Fork update ...

I took my bike to Cannon BMW Tuesday morning for them to install the non-carbon front wheel off their demo Sport model. This was in order to test whether the slow speed clunking sound that I and others have been experiencing, was related to the carbon wheel, which has apparently caused a similar sound previously. They had already checked the headstock bearings and preliminary the left fork leg and all appeared fine.

Cannon currently have four Gen 4 S1000RR?s in their showroom. The three M-Package bikes have this clunking sound, the one Sport model does not.
As expected, changing the wheel made absolutely no difference, so they proceeded to install the left fork left from the Sport model, which immediately rectified the issue. Therefore, as we all already know, it is in fact, a fork problem ?
As stated previously, the clunking/knocking sound/feeling is most noticeable in Road mode at slow speeds.
This issue has been reported on this forum and the American forum, and unfortunately some dealerships seem to suggest this is a ?feature?. Well, it is not a feature, as clearly some forks make the sound and others don?t. Somewhat concerning is that forks that initially don?t do this, can start doing it down the line, as reported by @Soofsayer in the Gen 4 fork issue thread.
If you?ve noticed this issue, please inform your dealership, insist they report it as a PUMA case and do not simply accept it as a ?feature?, so that this can be dealt with properly by BMW.

I have to say that Tim, the service manager at Cannon?s, is outstanding ...
If I had been told to basically poke up with the forks as a feature of the bike, or given an F800GT as a courtesy bike for an indefinite amount of time; I think I may well have rejected the bike there and then ?
However, thanks to Tim, I have an S1000R as a pseudo-courtesy bike and as of today they have satisfied BMW UK and a replacement fork has been authorised. The fork is estimated to arrive in Germany on the 5th August. Will then take approximately 1 week to arrive at Cannon?s and should be fitted same day.

Have somewhat mixed feeling at the moment. As whilst I am disappointed not to have my bike, I am wholly satisfied with the quality of service I have received from the ?service department? at Cannon BMW.
Adding to the mixed feelings is that riding the S1000R of late, has reminded me what an excellent platform the Gen 3 was. Pulling away from cold the clutch is a piece of cake, the forks don?t clunk, it?s arguably less vibey and the engine makes some lovely snarls at low rpm. All that being said, it?s not really a fair comparison as we must not forget the fact that the Gen 4 platform has been built to meet EU-5 standards ...

Oh and totally off topic, but with regards to the ?catalogue date? obtained from the last 7 digits of your VIN on realoem.com , this does not mean build date.
My bike was built in March 2020, specifically Week 11 of BMW?s calendar, as per page c of the ?Vehicle Specification Enquiry?, whereas the catalogue date from realoem states December 2019.

Fingers crossed the replacement fork fully rectifies the issue.
Am looking forward to getting the bike back and trying the M9RR?s [emoji41]

Last edited:
Back