Oli?s Gen 4 RR

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oli

Reaction score
Well, today was the day, that I collected my 2020 M-Package Gen 4 S1000RR [emoji41]

I purchased the bike from the lovely folk at Cannon BMW, in Witham, Essex.
The bike was built on March 12th 2020, and I made sure to check that wasn?t a Friday afternoon job lol (built on a Thursday).
In terms of the factory build spec, slightly frustratingly it had the seat cowl, and not the pillion pack, so purchased a pillion seat separately for use with the small official BMW tail bag. The bike also does not have the SOS button, partly because I was informed that in areas of poor cell phone coverage you can get warning messages, partly because if I start doing the occasional track day going forwards I don?t want that feature, but mostly because none of the M-sports sat in Cannon?s showroom had the SOS button and I didn?t want to wait 3 months for it lol.

In terms of mods, the bike has the following BMW accessories:

- M-Spindle Sliders
- M-Rearsets
- Radiator Guards
- Double Bubble Screen
- Pillion Seat
- Small Tank Bag
- Small Tail Bag
- Tank protector

With regard to aftermarket mods, some of the following items are already installed, others are on the ToDo list:

- New Rage Cycles Tail Tidy
- Lightech Chain Adjusters with lifters
- Ilmberger Carbon rear hugger with integrated upper chain guard, long frame and swing arm covers
- GB Racing engine case covers
- TechSpec X-Like traction pads
- DID ZVMX chain

With regard to planned/potential mods for the future, I?d like:

- An Akrapovic Evolution full-system, as this literally made me smile every time I rode my Gen 3. There are of course a number of things that go with this (HealTech servo eliminator, airbox door removal, tank charcoal evap canister removal, ideally a fuel module and secondary air system removal), in order to remove all the unnecessary Euro 4 requirements.
- MCT full setup with 2D front potentiometer, as at over 100 kg not ready to ride, I am most certainly above the target weight of the OEM springs. I?ve heard many a good thing about the 2D front sensor on the Gen 3 bikes, so would like to see what the Gen 4 is like with the OEM kit fully setup.
- Last, but by no means least ... a comfort seat mod ... as comfortable the M-seat is not lol.

After signing on the dotted line, I had the best part of a week to wait prior to collection. This felt both exciting and a little nerve wracking, as whilst I have been wanting/looking forward to a Gen 4 since the ?all-new bike? rumour mill first started churning, every time I have ridden my Gen 3 RR, I have been blown away at how competent and enjoyable those bikes are to ride.

Thankfully, the weather was quite kind to me today, so was able to do 156 miles, without the bike getting too wet.
It?s been a really good day and have throughly enjoyed my first ride on the new steed. I?ve re-read my initial impressions review and still agree with everything I said. However, I chose rode mode, and much prefer it to dynamic. I checked out the info provided for each of the engine brake settings in the Race Pro configuration menu prior to heading off, and it turns out Road mode offers the most engine braking. Interestingly, the power is reduced in the lower gears in both Road and Dynamic mode, which may go some way to explain my slightly lacklustre impression of the midrange on my test ride.

I?ve chosen to run the bike in, in a more conventional way than last time, i.e. not using wide open throttle. Am just constantly varying the engine speed, changing gear excessively frequently and using the engine braking to slow the bike down. Occasionally though the temptation to pin it is borderline too strong lol.

A couple things to mention re trackers, as this is my first vehicle with a tracker fitted, is:
- You need to carry a fob on your person at all times whilst riding, so that the tracker realises that the owner is riding the bike and not a thief. Sort of obvious really, but something I hadn?t considered.
- When I first received notification emails that the tracker had been setup, I downloaded the iOS app and proceeded to log into my account and create a pin. However, you are greeted with the following message

c9d188d8935462e2fffdc1d92a85f77f.jpg

A phone call to Scorpion and the included one year subscription is activated at the next ignition cycle.

Well, that?s it for now, but there will be plenty more to come [emoji41]

Ride safe and have fun,

Oli

aaee6696e3ac0d701d38fa487ec7b56b.jpg

Photo 1. When the deal was done

86d72bc557c64c0644fb39686cce525d.jpg

1742f4ebe9a03c9bdc4bca1be80a7022.jpg

d8fb7b84d94ac4478b2966c92443cdeb.jpg

Photos 2-4. Collection day, with a few bits and bobs already fitted [emoji41]

Last edited:
Chuffed for u mate... here?s to the next 60k miles... hope ur ass lasts more than 20 mins mind haha

Mint and congratulations Oli bike looks bloody stunning mate. Great right up as always. Fingers crossed mine arrives Friday and I?ll join the M Club to[emoji1305]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind word guys, I really appreciate it [emoji4]

@2002sportevo Well spotted!

@Skel I hope you have a great day on Friday and that the weather is superb. Shall look forward to seeing some photos in due course [emoji41]

@Marc A Not a chance lol ...

Congratulations Oli, very pleased for you. Bike looks lovely and nice mods. Enjoy in good health :)

Congrats on new bike you will love it, it just gets better and better.
Ps hope you have deep pockets for all the mods

Thanks again everyone for all the kind words [emoji4]

So I delivered the bike to Cannon BMW this afternoon, for its first service. The bike had 693 miles on the odometer.
I have done about 90 % of the running in miles in road mode, as felt the softer throttle response and suspension damping coupled with maximum engine braking made sense for the task at hand.

Following on from my initial impression review, I have to say I was a ?little? underwhelmed with the bike during most of the running in miles. Whilst I enjoyed the engine braking and indeed compliance in road mode, the handling of the bike felt somewhat lethargic. I just wasn?t able to muscle the bike about on known roads like I could on my Gen 3. Being a larger (read fatter ...) unit then the mythical 85 kg rider, I attributed this to the preload not being set to the manufacturer specification of 40 mm rider sag for the forks and 35 mm for the shock, for road use. I also felt that perhaps, the clipons being narrower than the Renthal?s on my Gen 3 might be playing a part in this too.
I have also heard and felt a clunking from the forks when traveling at very slow speed, which is now being investigated by Cannon.

On fast, bumpy British B roads, I noticed at least once on most rides that the quickshifter didn?t play ball going from 5th to 6th gear. I thought this was due to either the excessive clutch free play from collection (handbook states 3-5 mm at end of lever, from cold), or that the very safe and non adjustable traction control and wheelie control settings in Road mode were interfering with the shift.
However, I have been really impressed with the quality of the actual ?box?, as it is a peace of cake to get in and out of neutral and at no point have I had an accidental true or false neutral.

There is a significant dip right before one of the only hills in Essex, and, at speed, on a couple occasions, I wholly and spectacularly bottomed the bike out. I can now confirm that the forks have about a 1 cm bottom out margin from the fork legs, as was the case on the Gen 3, and for the rear of the bike, the catalytic converter collector box scrapes the ground. All part of the testing process lol [emoji2957]

I?ve been using the clutch a lot whilst running the bike in, to try and bed it in and get to grips with the very odd bite point/engagement feel. I have got more accustomed to it, but I stalled it for the first time on the way to Cannon?s today and overall I have to say I think the clutch is the only genuinely disappointing thing on the bike ...
Oh and one very minor annoyance is that the bike had a minor oil leak, from the sump plug. Would just cause a couple of drops on the floor after every ride.

Now you may recall I mentioned at the start that I felt underwhelmed for ?most? of the running in miles. The reason is because I recently setup Race Pro 1 mode.
I just plugged in Dave Moss?s damping settings, set maximum throttle response, maximum engine braking, no wheelie control and ABS in Road mode. Oh my God, what a difference ...
The moment I pulled away, it felt like the bike was taller, more up on its toes. The throttle felt direct and intuitive, as in what you ask for at the twist grip is what you get from the engine. The engine indeed felt stronger and the quickshifter felt better too as bumps and undulations etc. no longer upset the wheelie control. But by far away the thing I was blown away by, is how much better the bike handles. I was literally giggling in my helmet, as was the first I felt I ?got? the new bike. Was the first time I felt that I could fully relate to the professional reviews one reads online.
There are only 2 downsides to Race Pro modes. The first is that none of the connectivity functionality is available, and the second is that the suspension looses its uber plush, ?magic carpet? ride quality. However, I have never felt such a transformation in a bike by simply changing some electronic settings. It is incredible and I shall be using Race Pro 1 as my default riding mode, only changing to Road mode for poor weather conditions and touring etc.

I cannot wait to collect the bike, as just want to ride it more now. Which with a bit of luck, the ?standard seat?, which I ordered today, shall facilitate lol [emoji1787]

Hope you?re all having a good week and that an excellent weekend lies ahead [emoji4]

Oli

Thanks @phil , yes I agree the Motorsport colour scheme looks better in the flesh, it was a most pleasant surprise on collection day!
With regard to the first service, I can?t say quite yet, as it sort of depends on what they say about the forks. Should get more info tomorrow.

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone for all the kind words [emoji4]

So I delivered the bike to Cannon BMW this afternoon, for its first service. The bike had 693 miles on the odometer.
I have done about 90 % of the running in miles in road mode, as felt the softer throttle response and suspension damping coupled with maximum engine braking made sense for the task at hand.

Following on from my initial impression review, I have to say I was a ?little? underwhelmed with the bike during most of the running in miles. Whilst I enjoyed the engine braking and indeed compliance in road mode, the handling of the bike felt somewhat lethargic. I just wasn?t able to muscle the bike about on known roads like I could on my Gen 3. Being a larger (read fatter ...) unit then the mythical 85 kg rider, I attributed this to the preload not being set to the manufacturer specification of 40 mm rider sag for the forks and 35 mm for the shock, for road use. I also felt that perhaps, the clipons being narrower than the Renthal?s on my Gen 3 might be playing a part in this too.
I have also heard and felt a clunking from the forks when traveling at very slow speed, which is now being investigated by Cannon.

On fast, bumpy British B roads, I noticed at least once on most rides that the quickshifter didn?t play ball going from 5th to 6th gear. I thought this was due to either the excessive clutch free play from collection (handbook states 3-5 mm at end of lever, from cold), or that the very safe and non adjustable traction control and wheelie control settings in Road mode were interfering with the shift.
However, I have been really impressed with the quality of the actual ?box?, as it is a peace of cake to get in and out of neutral and at no point have I had an accidental true or false neutral.

There is a significant dip right before one of the only hills in Essex, and, at speed, on a couple occasions, I wholly and spectacularly bottomed the bike out. I can now confirm that the forks have about a 1 cm bottom out margin from the fork legs, as was the case on the Gen 3, and for the rear of the bike, the catalytic converter collector box scrapes the ground. All part of the testing process lol [emoji2957]

I?ve been using the clutch a lot whilst running the bike in, to try and bed it in and get to grips with the very odd bite point/engagement feel. I have got more accustomed to it, but I stalled it for the first time on the way to Cannon?s today and overall I have to say I think the clutch is the only genuinely disappointing thing on the bike ...
Oh and one very minor annoyance is that the bike had a minor oil leak, from the sump plug. Would just cause a couple of drops on the floor after every ride.

Now you may recall I mentioned at the start that I felt underwhelmed for ?most? of the running in miles. The reason is because I recently setup Race Pro 1 mode.
I just plugged in Dave Moss?s damping settings, set maximum throttle response, maximum engine braking, no wheelie control and ABS in Road mode. Oh my God, what a difference ...
The moment I pulled away, it felt like the bike was taller, more up on its toes. The throttle felt direct and intuitive, as in what you ask for at the twist grip is what you get from the engine. The engine indeed felt stronger and the quickshifter felt better too as bumps and undulations etc. no longer upset the wheelie control. But by far away the thing I was blown away by, is how much better the bike handles. I was literally giggling in my helmet, as was the first I felt I ?got? the new bike. Was the first time I felt that I could fully relate to the professional reviews one reads online.
There are only 2 downsides to Race Pro modes. The first is that none of the connectivity functionality is available, and the second is that the suspension looses its uber plush, ?magic carpet? ride quality. However, I have never felt such a transformation in a bike by simply changing some electronic settings. It is incredible and I shall be using Race Pro 1 as my default riding mode, only changing to Road mode for poor weather conditions and touring etc.

I cannot wait to collect the bike, as just want to ride it more now. Which with a bit of luck, the ?standard seat?, which I ordered today, shall facilitate lol [emoji1787]

Hope you?re all having a good week and that an excellent weekend lies ahead [emoji4]

Oli

Thanks @phil , yes I agree the Motorsport colour scheme looks better in the flesh, it was a most pleasant surprise on collection day!
With regard to the first service, I can?t say quite yet, as it sort of depends on what they say about the forks. Should get more info tomorrow.

I?m so pleased you?ve wrote this @Oli I was thinking on Saturday after running in for a few hundred miles WTF have I done. The bike does not respond or feel even close to what I was used to with my Gen 3. I was using road mode to start with but Sunday I changed to Dynamic. I then felt it was working a bit better and I was feeling a lot happier knowing I can move forward with the pro mode. I now can?t wait for the first service [emoji4]

Thanks oli. Interesting about the 1cm bottoming out. My zip tie isn?t much higher than that.

edit

on the clutch, try adjusting it at the lever end, it transformed the feel and bite point on mine. Before it was all or nothing at the end, now it feels ?normal? i.e. mid point and gradual.

Last edited:
Back