Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oli’s Gen 4 RR

Riding
    HP4, F3 800

Re: Oli’s Gen 4 RR

Well done getting a new machine Oli, I've been that wrapped up prepping my van that I completely missed all of this...bikes looking excellent !

Laughed at your "mythical 85kg rider" comment, its so true..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stuartb For This Useful Post:

Oli

New Gen 4 RR

Very nice new RR!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RyS1000RR For This Useful Post:

Oli

Riding
    Gen 3 Motorsport

Quote Originally Posted by soofsayer View Post
    Thanks oli. Interesting about the 1cm bottoming out. My zip tie isn’t much higher than that.

edit

on the clutch, try adjusting it at the lever end, it transformed the feel and bite point on mine. Before it was all or nothing at the end, now it feels ‘normal’ i.e. mid point and gradual.
    Just like my RR, best clutch I've ever used and so much better than my aged R1 which is all or nothing even despite replacement.
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rednine For This Useful Post:

Oli

Riding
    S1000RR Sport 17

Quote Originally Posted by Oli View Post
    Thanks again everyone for all the kind words

So I delivered the bike to Cannon BMW this afternoon, for its first service. The bike had 693 miles on the odometer.
    I have done about 90 % of the running in miles in road mode, as felt the softer throttle response and suspension damping coupled with maximum engine braking made sense for the task at hand.

Following on from my initial impression review, I have to say I was a ‘little’ underwhelmed with the bike during most of the running in miles.
    Pretty much how i felt when I had a couple of demos. One bike was running in, the 2nd time it was run in and both in Road mode. Totally felt underwhelmed. But once I had picked up my Gen 4, stuck in in Dynamic i was much more impressed. But the real break through moment for me was on track. Ditch the preset rider modes and dial it on on Pro race, totally changes the bike. The DDC being less active is a huge plus on track, the bike is more consistent in feel. What did catch me out was sticking the throttle in the most aggressive setting. I thought geez this is proper snatchy but then after 2 corners it just becomes super fluid. Just a shame you cannot have a Pro race mode on the road and really dial it in while having the other functionality the bike offers. Saying that for me Dynamic is more than enough as i am a slow road rider haha.

Will agree though regarding the clutch and setting the free play, that makes a big difference. I like the clutch and will like it even more once they change it so I can find neutral. (Mine is an early production bike)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GavD101 For This Useful Post:

Riding
    2020 M-Package

Oli’s Gen 4 RR

Cheers guys, collected the bike from Cannon this afternoon, first service complete and the bike is running well.
    Thanks @soofsayer, @GavD101 and @Rednine re clutch free play adjustment, I’ve had a fiddle and it’s indeed working better for me; still not spot on, but definitely better, particularly when everything is warmed up. Also, I’ve not had any issues when quickshifting from 5th to 6th.

With regard to the minor niggles being checked/sorted, the bike has had the sump plug replaced and is now no longer leaking. The start up farts from cold, are apparently completely normal, and is just part of the process in which the bike tries to warm up the cats ASAP. This never happens when the engine is warm. The minor fork clunking is present on all other M-Sports at Cannon’s at the moment and my forks have been fully checked and all is OK. Interestingly, the demo Sport model at Cannon’s doesn’t do it, so this might suggest something to do with the Carbon wheel(s). My bike is going back to Cannon Tuesday week, so they can fit the forged wheels off the demo bike to see if that makes any difference. Shall update on how that goes.

In terms of my ongoing riding experience. I have now explored full beans over the whole rev-range and have learned a few new things about the bike. When reading the professional reviews that rant and rave of Ducati’s counter rotating crank and how it is attributed to the bike not being prone to wheelies, I was sort of expecting the Gen 4 to be quite wheelie prone in low gears, as it has even more power than the Gen 3. However, in Race Pro mode, with the engine and DTC set to max attack and with the wheelie control disabled, coming off a very slow speed roundabout in second gear I wound on the power to the stop with my foot hovering over the rear brake expecting to be pointing to the moon in the very near future ... yet ... it never happened. Instead, the bike just builds power and speed in a totally linear fashion and the scenery starts going by faster and faster. Fully appreciate what you mean by electric-like now @soofsayer . The bike is fast, borderline ridiculously fast. But, because it’s able to deploy all that grunt to the ground in such an efficient manner, it doesn’t feel out of control, with no weaving or head-shake, just progress. Deeply impressive stuff.
    The quick-shifter is also impeccable at the higher revs. It sounds and feels like a faster shift then on my Gen 3; very ‘crisp’, like a premier cru Chablis lol.

The only slight negative in my opinion, is that from ~ 8-10 k rpm, it does vibrate quite significantly. My opinion hasn’t changed on this though, as it’s not really part of the Rev range you spend much time in on the road, but what I will say is that I shall be looking into heavier bar ends ...
    One other thing I learned recently, is that the Gen 4 doesn’t seem to have the same can-bus accessory power port as the Gen 3 has, which means hardwiring a Sat-Nav isn’t as seamless as previously. Apparently there is a fuse point under the seat which could be a suitable alternative, but this isn’t ‘BMW approved’ and so your local dealer may be unwilling to do this for you.

Fingers crossed for good weather over the weekend and enjoy the MotoGP
    Last edited by Oli; 17th July 2020 at 08:03 PM.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oli For This Useful Post:

Riding
    Gen 3 Motorsport

That was a really interesting and comprehensive read Oli, I've enjoyed reading that and I'm looking forward to the next chapter. So pleased you're really enjoying your new bike.
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rednine For This Useful Post:

Oli

Riding
    RSV4 RF

Very jealous!

Nice Oli

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Felix For This Useful Post:

Oli

have you found bar ends yet. im thinking this will be the first time i will get some. the power thing is how you said. i was expecting it to reach for the sun but on the throttle it dosnt. over every little hump and slightly raised bit of road it dose though which is nice. lol,

16. The Following User Says Thank You to r25sti For This Useful Post:

Oli

Riding
    2020 M-Package

Oli’s Gen 4 RR

Quote Originally Posted by r25sti View Post
    have you found bar ends yet. im thinking this will be the first time i will get some. the power thing is how you said. i was expecting it to reach for the sun but on the throttle it dosnt. over every little hump and slightly raised bit of road it dose though which is nice. lol,
    HVMP and Evotech do. I’m considering getting conventional clipons though. I have a feeling that the vibes are amplified being one piece with the top yoke, and I’d like to position the bars a bit wider.

Haha yea it’s good it does stability and wheelies, depending on the road
    Last edited by Oli; 18th July 2020 at 05:58 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Oli For This Useful Post:

Riding
    S1000RR, 2020, Red

Quote Originally Posted by Oli View Post
    Cheers guys, collected the bike from Cannon this afternoon, first service complete and the bike is running well.
    Thanks @soofsayer, @GavD101 and @Rednine re clutch free play adjustment, I’ve had a fiddle and it’s indeed working better for me; still not spot on, but definitely better, particularly when everything is warmed up. Also, I’ve not had any issues when quickshifting from 5th to 6th.

With regard to the minor niggles being checked/sorted, the bike has had the sump plug replaced and is now no longer leaking. The start up farts from cold, are apparently completely normal, and is just part of the process in which the bike tries to warm up the cats ASAP. This never happens when the engine is warm. The minor fork clunking is present on all other M-Sports at Cannon’s at the moment and my forks have been fully checked and all is OK. Interestingly, the demo Sport model at Cannon’s doesn’t do it, so this might suggest something to do with the Carbon wheel(s). My bike is going back to Cannon Tuesday week, so they can fit the forged wheels off the demo bike to see if that makes any difference. Shall update on how that goes.

In terms of my ongoing riding experience. I have now explored full beans over the whole rev-range and have learned a few new things about the bike. When reading the professional reviews that rant and rave of Ducati’s counter rotating crank and how it is attributed to the bike not being prone to wheelies, I was sort of expecting the Gen 4 to be quite wheelie prone in low gears, as it has even more power than the Gen 3. However, in Race Pro mode, with the engine and DTC set to max attack and with the wheelie control disabled, coming off a very slow speed roundabout in second gear I wound on the power to the stop with my foot hovering over the rear brake expecting to be pointing to the moon in the very near future ... yet ... it never happened. Instead, the bike just builds power and speed in a totally linear fashion and the scenery starts going by faster and faster. Fully appreciate what you mean by electric-like now @soofsayer . The bike is fast, borderline ridiculously fast. But, because it’s able to deploy all that grunt to the ground in such an efficient manner, it doesn’t feel out of control, with no weaving or head-shake, just progress. Deeply impressive stuff.
    The quick-shifter is also impeccable at the higher revs. It sounds and feels like a faster shift then on my Gen 3; very ‘crisp’, like a premier cru Chablis lol.

The only slight negative in my opinion, is that from ~ 8-10 k rpm, it does vibrate quite significantly. My opinion hasn’t changed on this though, as it’s not really part of the Rev range you spend much time in on the road, but what I will say is that I shall be looking into heavier bar ends ...
    One other thing I learned recently, is that the Gen 4 doesn’t seem to have the same can-bus accessory power port as the Gen 3 has, which means hardwiring a Sat-Nav isn’t as seamless as previously. Apparently there is a fuse point under the seat which could be a suitable alternative, but this isn’t ‘BMW approved’ and so your local dealer may be unwilling to do this for you.

Fingers crossed for good weather over the weekend and enjoy the MotoGP
    Hi Oli,

Glad you're enjoying it. I can confirm my Sport with PP does the fork clunking too, mine has the Forged Wheels so I don't think it's going to make any difference swapping them out. When I complained about mine, I had my dealer look at it, and he showed me an M-Sport and Sport in the dealership that did exactly the same so I went away satisfied that it's just the way it is.
    2020 BMW S1000RR Sport with Performance Pack (Current)
    2020 Triumph Bonneville T100 (Current)
    2016 BMW S1000RR Sport with Performance Pack (Sold)
    2012 BMW S1000RR Sport (Sold)
    2006 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade (Sold)
    1999 Honda CBR600 FX (Sold)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Schuey For This Useful Post:

Oli