Oli?s Gen 4 RR

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive not noticed anything with mine as yet but all ways in dynamic. i dont want to look for the issue until just before winter.lol. im keeping in dynamic and with ear plugs in.lol. mines on 3600 miles now.

ive not noticed anything with mine as yet but all ways in dynamic. i dont want to look for the issue until just before winter.lol. im keeping in dynamic and with ear plugs in.lol. mines on 3600 miles now.

Winter is definitely the best time to discover an issue lol.

Very encouraging that you?re not experiencing it at over 3,500 miles.
Probably just a large batch issue or something like that.

Winter is definitely the best time to discover an issue lol.

Very encouraging that you?re not experiencing it at over 3,500 miles.
Probably just a large batch issue or something like that.

Must admit I?ve been saying to the Mrs since I bought this bike, I have no trust in the front end of the Gen 4 on the road. (Track was absolutely fine though) It feels so vague at times.
It definitely has a knock at slow speed and not just in road as I?ve not used road apart from the day I picked it up. Looks like it?s time to put a call into Bm. Thanks Oli.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update Oli, bike is looking great and well done on the mods already :D

Another fork update ...

Cannon received the replacement left fork leg end of last week.
However, the replacement fork is also faulty, which they discovered immediately after test riding the bike.

I have returned their S1000R, which has been, to my surprise, a throughly enjoyable bike for the past 10 days or so.

With regard to my Gen 4, I have agreed the following with Cannon: they have just under 1 month to sort my bike, or provide me with a full refund. This has been agreed by Scott, their head of business.

As has always been the case, I am very happy with the service I receive from Cannon Motorcycles.
However, if it were not for me being unable to ride for a few weeks (minor medical thing), I would have rejected my Gen 4 yesterday.

Another fork update ...

Cannon received the replacement left fork leg end of last week.
However, the replacement fork is also faulty, which they discovered immediately after test riding the bike.

I have returned their S1000R, which has been, to my surprise, a throughly enjoyable bike for the past 10 days or so.

With regard to my Gen 4, I have agreed the following with Cannon: they have just under 1 month to sort my bike, or provide me with a full refund. This has been agreed by Scott, their head of business.

As has always been the case, I am very happy with the service I receive from Cannon Motorcycles.
However, if it were not for me being unable to ride for a few weeks (minor medical thing), I would have rejected my Gen 4 yesterday.

Sorry to hear this! Hope that you and the bike get sorted asap.

I got the bike back from Cannon?s about a week ago, and have been for a few short ish rides since then.

The second replacement left fork leg seems to have rectified the clunking issue, and moreover the damping seems improved. Whilst I have no way to confirm this, I wouldn?t be at all surprised if the fork issue played a part with the ridiculously fast wear rate, on the OEM fitment K3 front tyre.

The bike now has Metzeler M9RR tyres fitted, but in a smaller 190 / 55 rear size. Cannon recalibrated the ECU for this, which is something I always recommend people doing if changing tyre size, as genuinely cannot see any reason why one wouldn?t do it ...

Whilst ?I?m? still not 100 %, particularly as the day after the previously mentioned op I proceeded to fracture my toe [emoji30]

However, despite the dodgy toe, the tyres are outstanding. These M9RR?s, in the smaller size, are probably the best dry weather tyres I?ve used on the road (not tried them in wet). I?ve been running 35 psi front and 39 psi at the rear, cold, and the front end feels totally planted up to 50 + degree lean angles. Really is fantastically confidence inspiring.

Maybe it?s the tyres, maybe it?s just me getting more and make accustomed to the Gen 4. But, I have to say the Gen 4, in Race Pro mode, is hands down the best handling bike I?ve ever ridden. Weirdly, I don?t think slow / moderate speed stuff does the bikes handling any justice. Normally, any bike I?ve ridden does well, to a point, and then at a certain pace it starts to protest and become a bit hard work. The Gen 4, seems to be the opposite, the faster you go, the harder you push it, the better it gets. This then of course makes you feel that taking it in on track becomes somewhat of a necessity lol.

When riding the bike harder, getting up to greater lean angles and then being more aggressive with the throttle on corner exit, I?ve started to appreciate, for the first time, how good the 6-axis IMU is. When you configure the DTC in Race and turn it down to something like -4, when you accelerate quite hard coming out of a corner, you can get the bike sliding a bit. Whereas on the Gen 3, the bike would at times slide quite a lot, then the DTC intervenes, bringing the bike back into line, then it slides again etc. This used to cause some instability in the bike, which was entertaining, but probably a bit near the bike.
On the Gen 4, this doesn?t happen to anything like the same extent, instead it often seems to slip a bit, but then rather than just cut the power, it feels as if the bike just holds it back a bit, just enough to keep the bike driving forward and maintaining the slide for longer. This of course does all happen in a very short space of time, not for a moment suggesting these are epic MotoGP slides from a few years ago, before the spec ECU?s lol. But, it is epically good fun, deeply impressive tech and I do think it gives great confidence that when the DTC is set in a conservative mode, it?ll do a better job keeping you safe in the worst of UK weather conditions.

So, those are the good points. The not so good news, is that I?m finding even the standard seat to be painfully uncomfortable after over an hour in the saddle, and on my first ride since receiving the bike back, ?in perfect working order? no less, the bike now has the oil leak again, precisely as was the case on collection day ...

Hope you all had a good weekend and that your weeks have got off to a good start! [emoji41]

I'm pleased you mentioned the wear rate of the front K3. I was initially disappointed in the front end feeling of the bike. I've just not gelled with it. I also have forks which are very clunky at low speeds. The front K3 scrubbed its edges off in around 1K miles - way before the back which is a first for me. I've now got M9s on and the difference is night and day. It just goes around corners now without any vague feeling or the front end wanting to wash out. The forks are still rattling like mad but it turns now! Either the front K3 is a poor road tyre or the fork issue really affects them, or a combination of both.
Sadly I can confirm the M9s brilliant in the wet too.

Hi Oli
Glad your forks are sorted now.
Is there any chance you could post a video of your forks now there is no noise I can compare mine to please?
Thanks.

Been into Bm today as I?ve got the fork knock and massive play on what seems like the cush drive rubbers, however I?m not so sure. They want to investigate but I want to get the end of the summer and let them worry about it over the winter. Is that wrong.. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Oli
Glad your forks are sorted now.
Is there any chance you could post a video of your forks now there is no noise I can compare mine to please?
Thanks.

Thanks Kev [emoji846]

I?m afraid I won?t be able to record anything, as as of this morning, Cannon have logged a rejection request on my behalf with BMW UK, on account of the issues I?ve had with my bike since collection day.

With regard to the forks, if you can hear or feel ?any? clunking from the front end at all, when literally just rolling along at slow speed (like 10-15 mph), then I suspect your left hand fork leg will need replacing.

@Skel if you have no other issues, then I personally would recommend waiting till the good weather is behind us before pursuing the replacement fork.

For those who have been reading this ownership thread, I mentioned previously that 3 of the 4 brand new RR?s at Cannon had clunking forks, and they are all now awaiting replacements from BMW prior to sale.

The reason I have ended up rejecting my bike, is that the arrangement I had made with Cannon was conditional on my receiving the bike in perfect working order.
Unfortunately, due to the persistent oil leak, this is still not the case. Cannon want to do an investigation on the sump and advised me to leave the bike with them and allow them to proceed with the rejection process, as they didn?t want to release the bike with an oil leak, which is fair enough.

To conclude this ownership thread, despite the issues I?ve experienced, the Gen 4 RR is an incredible bike. In road mode the compliance is superb and in Race Pro it feels like a genuine super-sports bike.
I truly cannot fault the dynamics of the bike and am still firmly of the opinion that despite the track focus, it still works as a road bike, on account of its latest generation DDC suspension and the tremendous spread of power.
However, I?ve been unlucky with my particular bike, which has put a downer on the ownership experience, and has resulted in me going from a Gen 3 that had ~ 63k miles on the clock, to a 2020 Gen 4 that had ~ 1,500 miles on it.

I have to say that Cannon have been excellent through all of this. Without going into details, it?s the little touches like one of the sales team, who didn?t even sell me the bike, coming over to me to apologise for the issues I?ve experienced. Class. It?s things like that, that retains customers.

Last edited:
Too bad this can't be bought for cheap as a trackbike. As most of these are non-issues.

Last edited:
Back