Sods law!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countcatula

Reaction score
Just clocked over 1000 miles on the new M sport.... Got on the bike yesterday to go for a spin and noticed the tyre pressure at the rear with slightly down. Rode to the garage to get some fuel and whilst filling her up.... Glanced at the rear tyre and noticed a nail in it! Put some air in and rode home tentitavely.. Started her up this morning and she has dropped about 0.2 of a bar.

BMW have told me not to ride it and get it recovered to them to replace the tyre at ?200!!!! They said if I do ride it to them even at low speeds, because I have ridden it to them if there is any cracks in the rear carbon wheel at any time it will invalidate the warranty because I rode it!!!

The seams a tad over excessive on BMW part, surely I can just replace the tire anywhere, and really my burning question is is can this be plugged from the inside as as I've hardly used the tyre! I know it sounds that I'm so tight, that I only breathe in... But gutted I have loads left on the tire and don't want to spend anymore money lol

Anyone's thoughts on plugging this?
0bef7f350e196da62a91658ce402fefe.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I can?t think of a reason why you can?t plug a tyre on a carbon wheel. To the plug and tyre the material of the wheel is irrelevant
They must mean don?t ride the bike on a flat so as to damage the rim and warranty for cracks.
If there is a valid issue plugging tyres on carbon wheels then road practicality is a big negative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can?t think of a reason why you can?t plug a tyre on a carbon wheel. To the plug and tyre the material of the wheel is irrelevant
They must mean don?t ride the bike on a flat so as to damage the rim and warranty for cracks.
If there is a valid issue plugging tyres on carbon wheels then road practicality is a big negative.

Cheers, I assume that if you plug from outside it is a stop gap, and if you plug from inside it is safe to ride???

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I was referring to the temporary mushroom plugs as a breakdown fix.
But the permanent plugs are legal max of two per tyre.
The permanent versions require the tyre removed and are glued on the tyre inner surface.
Some people like them some people don?t. I?ve know people do track days on them and ride for thousands of miles with no issues.

Oh that's a bummer. I guess the question is would you feel safe pushing a 200+ bhp bike to high speeds on a rear tyre with a puncture repair?

I'm not sure how good punctures are these days but when I had my CBR600F around 15 years ago I got a puncture and was told repairing was a no no by the tyre place and my experienced riding instructor who I had kept in touch with. Just found this link which may be helpful:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesoci...-tips/how-to-deal-with-a-puncture-on-the-road

Plug it.
But you do want to take the nail out and confirm its not hit the rim.

- Alex

I picked up a nail on my way home from having a new tyre fitted, had it plugged and rode steadily for Mmm 25 miles and then checked the pressure, did another 2000 miles including 50 laps of the ?ring? never lost an ounce of pressure ?

For purely road use, I would definitely get the tyre professionally ?internally? plugged. Carbon wheels have no effect on this.

Though as Alex says, you must make sure the nail hasn?t contacted the rim

Last edited:
i see most would plug it,,,me i might plug it and then sell it. i would have no confidence on a 20k bike on a soft'ish superbike tyre with a plug in it. your get ?70 or so for it on ebay towards a new tyre. no brainer to me. :)
i know its not the same thing but i had a professional vulcanised repair done on a nearly new tyre on my van once, it blew up about 500 miles after it was done. never again for me.

Last edited:
Iv never had a plug fail.

I had a nail go in and out leaving a noticeable hole.

Pulled in for fast lunch with buddy. Bike felt very weird after. Very flat 25klms from home on twisty roads. Bike pickup round here can be very rough.

Pumped it to 45psi. Lifted it up the road. Got half way and next garage with 20psi. Same again and home. Got it plugged and done a drag race event on it. Wet so went for 2nd gear burnouts (120mph it seems)

My point. Plugs are safe out. Worst case of plug exiting. Your tire slowly deflates. It's very manageable if it does happen.

My two bobs worth.. personally I wouldn't repair a bike tyre, it's instantly unforgiving if the repair failed, and it won't happen when your stationary at a set of traffic lights. A car is completely different and this is from someone who has fitted and repaired quite genuinely thousands of tyres... yup I was a Kwik Fit Fitter/Manager when Farmer owned it..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Back