M sport, lithium battery charger

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank-RR

Reaction score
Hi Guys, has anyone found a charger that is suitable for the lithium battery in the M sport, that can be left on trickle charge, i have both tracker and alarm, thinking about the coming months when riding will be limited or stop altogether due to weather.

i have looked at the OEM charger at ?102 with discount.

cheers

Hi - can anyone advise if using the Optimate Lithium charger, do you use the supplied lead connected directly to the battery (the pig tail). The litrature says the battery needs ventilation which would suggest removing battery prior to charging. If float charging that would defeat the object. Ideally I just want to run the lead under the rear seat and when I get home plug it into the charger, not have to remove the riders seat or entire battery everytime I want to charge bacause it needs ventilation. Hopefully, it's just Optimate standard disclaimer but not really required?

I do exactly as you've described. I fitted the lead from the battery and routed it under the pillion seat, then when I want it on charge, pop the pillion seat up and connect it up.

Not sure what that ventilation thing is about, but given it's just a trickle charger, I don't see why it would need anything more than a garage. Removing the battery sounds crazy to me.

Cheers HertsTiF, that's what I wanted to hear. Apparently the Lithium battery can give off flammable gas under charge which is why charging in a confined i.e. in situ under the seat is not what they would recommend. That said, I've done it with all my bikes no issues so probably just a standard disclaimer in case anything went wrong.

Back