Gen 1 or Gen 2

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamieB

Reaction score
Hi All,

I did a quick search but couldn?t really find what I was looking for so thought I?d ask.

I have a budget of 8.5K and for that I have plenty of Gen1 options and a few Gen2 options, so I was looking for some advice on which to get? Are the electronics vastly different on the Gen2? Would I notice the difference?

I?m coming from a 2007 Fireblade and have just been bitten by the track bug. The new bike will be a road bike but have track usage too.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

For the electronics you can always update your ECU to newer versions on both models.I personally made the upgrade and I am happy with it. You can check the forum for solutions. There are not huge differences between Gen 1 & 2 but as always the newest the better.

didn't think gen1+2 was an update,but a complete swap to the race ECU if you want to be able to adjust traction etc? (RCK2 etc)

if you could stratch,or find a gen3 in your price range,personaly,they are a far better bike out the box,thats coming from a gen2,to having 3 gen3's

As much as I?d love to, I just can?t stretch to a Gen 3 at the moment. Unless one comes up in budget, I think I?ll have to stick with a Gen2.

Hmmmm.... now you?ve got me looking at Gen 3 bikes trying to work out how I can stretch my budget!

wish my gen 1 had heated grips lik the gen 2, otherwise more than happy. rode gen 2 demonstrator and didn't seem much different. mind you i've also had demos on gen3 and 4 and apart from the obvious toys they were very similar to ride and i didn't feel the need to upgrade, mines got nearly 200bhp at the back wheel with a full system and I don't know how you would use anymore, even the gen4 on the road didn't seem any quicker. you will need to tweak the suspension to suit you, but arguably it's easier to do without all the electronic assistance. I run mine in slick mode as don't really trust the ecu to sort it all out for me.
whatever you get they are all great bikes, but for track use cheaper will give you more comfort (in the wallet)!

Thanks for keeping me sensible. I think you?re right about the lower cost for use on track and having come from a 2007 Fireblade I?ll appreciate the difference regardless of generation.

As you can already see, there is going to be a range of opinions on this topic.
So here?s one more lol!

In my opinion, any Gen S1000RR is an amazing bike and I am sure you?ll be very happy indeed with whatever Gen you decide on.
However, I would definitely recommend the latest Gen possible, with a particular emphasis on a 15 or 16 model year Gen 3, ideally.

The Gen 3 has a load of electronic upgrades over the previous bikes, which really add to the riding experience on road, such as the autoblipper, DDC semi-active suspension and amazing fully ride-by-wire throttle.

Best of luck with your search and I hope you find your ideal S1000RR soon [emoji846]

As you can already see, there is going to be a range of opinions on this topic.
So here?s one more lol!

In my opinion, any Gen S1000RR is an amazing bike and I am sure you?ll be very happy indeed with whatever Gen you decide on.
However, I would definitely recommend the latest Gen possible, with a particular emphasis on a 15 or 16 model year Gen 3, ideally.

The Gen 3 has a load of electronic upgrades over the previous bikes, which really add to the riding experience on road, such as the autoblipper, DDC semi-active suspension and amazing fully ride-by-wire throttle.

Best of luck with your search and I hope you find your ideal S1000RR soon [emoji846]

definatley agree,the gen3 is (imo) sucha big improvement over the gen2,it's well worth finding the extra few quid difference

Well.... It just so happens that a Gen3 came up only a little over the original budget. Its slightly higher mileage, but its a BMW dealer bike so has full BMW history and 2 year warranty!

Today is a good day!

I did... She was delivered yesterday and I managed to get out for about 120 miles in the evening.. Here she is in all her glory.

I just need to get hold of the coding plug now to enable user mode ready for the track next week!

attachment.php

strange it never came with the slick plug.(you sure it's not there?)

they are about 15-20 quid from a dealer

Back