Leaking forks

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do have a mechanical background, funny enough was a motor technician for BMW on the car side for several years. I was convinced mine was oil as the consistency of the substance from the right and left fork for was different. It doesn't need to be flooding down the for fork for it to be oil, all it takes is a bit of grit to bypass the dust seal and disrupt the mating of the seal and for leg. I've checked the bike over since its return and I no longer get a trace of oily substance when bouncing the forks. I was informed the dust seals were removed and all excess grease cleaned out. I do have a little tool called a seal mate that you can use to dislodge any contaminants from a fork seal and its definitely worked for me in the past. If the dealer has used something like this who knows or if it was grease I'm not convinced. I will take her for a spin later and see how I get on.

My old Triumph 675 had a problem where I'd re filled them 3 times in one season. On the third occasion I asked why and they found a nick on the stanchion.
Anyway the oil would run down and you could follow its track and collect at the bottom.
With the gen4 it was just a film all around where the seals had bottomed. I was concerned at first but having ridden hard on track the suspension was faultless and I never noticed any more residual.
Maybe it needs to be worked harder than can be done on the road.

So guys, I went for a ride out yesterday evening around the Derbyshire Dales, some really windy bends and high speeds roads. I covered approx 100 miles. Today I have noticed this, see pics below. Are we still saying this is grease or do I have leaking forks issue? Seems to be collecting at the bottom now, especially on the left side fork? :( I did have to brake hard at one point, bloody speed camera I didn't know about around a fast bend, slowed down in time but back wheel came off ground for a bit!

36-C7-FDA2-06-ED-419-D-A1-DA-B7-D69-C53474-A.jpg

73646-FF9-3-E8-D-4-B3-F-8-C55-3-D48-F2-FA44-E1.jpg

E12823-C8-9291-4-C09-BCC8-C73-AC2-EC2602.jpg

9B58925D-DFD4-42D4-89A8-2B49473C4B0C.jpeg
This is mine on the right hand side. The left hand side was similar when I first got the bike but looks ok now. It doesn?t drip so thought I?d leave it till I do my trackday at Donno to really test it out.

It?s grease guys, don?t worry.

Just think of it as a fork travel indicator lol

Last edited:
Morning lads, thanks for the confirmation. Will continue enjoying it then. Wanted to go for a ride this morning, but the wife said the front garden hedges need doing! I've put the hedge trimmer on charge now and told her where it is when she needs it! lol

Mine is the same, it is grease that sits under the dust seals. If it was leaking oil they'd have a small stream of oil from where ever the oil seal is damaged rather than a nice thin ring. The oil will pool around the lower leg of the fork, callipers, floor, covered in brake dust etc haha.

http://s1000rrforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=155645

I've posted today in the other thread about front forks. In short, I have a 69 plate M Sport, the dealer thought just grease. They have now confirmed leaking forks and 'knocking' at low speed - I hadn't noticed the 'knocking' but the technician did. It's now being kept for full investigation and I will let you all know outcome.

As an aside, I have a GSA1250 as loan. I'm pretty sure I'm 10mph quicker through every corner on the road! It's pretty awesome. But I also keep hitting the limiter really quickly :)

Sent from my XQ-AD51 using Tapatalk

This is how my fork tube looks, it's only like this on the right side. BM dealer says it's just the grease as others have said here. I hope they are right. Ah slight problem ! how do I upload an image here ? I don't have a URL. it's sitting on my desktop

Back