Engine warning light and misfire

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nich146

Reaction score
Hi all,
Took my Gen 4 to Snetterton yesterday and on the sighting laps it went into a kind of safe mode and is running like a misfire or coil pack has failed. Going into BMW today. Anyone else had a similar problem. Thoughts appreciated.

Hopefully whatever it is, is a straightforward fix. Keep us posted as not heard of this before personally.

With it being mapped isn't it worth asking Dave Wood first?
Probably exhaust/emissions related...

Thanks and yes I have spoken with Dave who says it cant be related to his map. I am concerned as BMW will know its not the original map and might get difficult. The Mobile tech from BMW has just been and its defo ECU related but there were two other faults front ABS sensor and throttle flap but they were not current. Dave says the map cant fall over and do anything different and it must be another software issue. Its run perfectly for 600 miles on and off track

Yeah, IIRC, it was something crazy like a stone had gone through the intake at the front of the fairing and got jammed/damaged the throttle flap.
That's right mine sounds like its clicking open and staying open I think its over fuelling. Its in the shop today . So should find out this week. Will keep you posted. I cant imagine the remap would interfere with any of that or bugger the ECU. Its totally separate (I think). Thanks

If that is what's happening, I worry for some of the aftermarket race fairings. If this is happening with stock fairings, that have at least some plastic bits in the way of that intake, some race fairings do away with those completely and so will be even more susceptible. Anyway, do let us know...

sounds very similar to the twist grip sensor fault on the gen3's,or throttle body sensor

My Gen 4 is still with BMW they reset all the software, replaced the plugs and still cant find the fault. Any ideas?? V frustrating missing track days.

I do have 2020 RR with this same issue.Bmw can not find any fault.Any ideas ?
Numerous owners have had a problem with the ignition coils. BMW told me they tested them and they were OK but they did not test with the correct equipment ie an oscilloscope. Took them 42 days to finally admit that was the fault. Good luck

Thanks for reply.I am not sure Vines Guilford used equipment other then diagnostic tool.Misfiring and engine light is intermitted and only occurs when engine is cold.I booked bike for investigation again.I did mention coil pack so hopefuly it will be checked properly this time.

Well yesterday on my way home i got message ?fault in the engine control?on the screen.I went straight down to the dealer.I was told ecu shows that oxygen sensora are swapped where in reality there are not.

Another update.I got bike back from dealership.New injector installed on cylinder 3.Bike runs like a dream now.On the negative side the manage to scratch the bike..

Back