Not good

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That?s really not good at all. A hole in the engine block? How can that happen? Manufacturing defect?

hole like that is usually caused by a seized/snapped conrod

That engine is toast. Conrods normally come out front or back. My guess is a valve made a bid for freedom. Would be interested in finding out what happened.

That engine is toast. Conrods normally come out front or back. My guess is a valve made a bid for freedom. Would be interested in finding out what happened.

looking at his update video,he says BMW are saying broken conrod,or even little end break,which will explain why it's so high in the block.

looking at his update video,he says BMW are saying broken conrod,or even little end break,which will explain why it's so high in the block.

I was wrong. Good to know what happened but in this day and age surprising. Some of the comments said something about he missed a recall? Plus at the beginning of the video he says it?s still restricted i.e running in. If so, it?s his own fault. J

yea just watching his latest video to see if any other updates,BMW aren't actually giving him a reason,it's the mech. at the dealer that told him that so who knows.

I was wrong. Good to know what happened but in this day and age surprising. Some of the comments said something about he missed a recall? Plus at the beginning of the video he says it?s still restricted i.e running in. If so, it?s his own fault. J

he actually says the running in period is over. hence trying top speed otherwise hed be limited to 9k? but id guess he was just out of the run in.

thats the exact saem thing my s1k did at 120mph into a left hander on track, luckily no block damage for me. droped a cyl3 valve, but the exact same noise/ actions on the bike,

he actually says the running in period is over. hence trying top speed otherwise hed be limited to 9k? but id guess he was just out of the run in.

thats the exact saem thing my s1k did at 120mph into a left hander on track, luckily no block damage for me. droped a cyl3 valve, but the exact same noise/ actions on the bike,

What was the problem on your engine? Did BMW ever say? J

Last edited:

Yeah, he said run in service was done, and that it's nothing to do with a recall (given it's a nurburgring silver model, I'd expect it to have most of the fixes from the factory as that's a 2020 colour).

Pretty worrying...

Reliability is not this model forte, not tempted to upgrade anytime soon

What was the problem on your engine? Did BMW ever say? J

I never followed it up tbh, it was a 4yr old gen 3 and bmw authed a full 10grand engine replacement in less than 12hrs, didn't ask anymore questions haha, the techs didn't even strip it, just pulled the plug(or what was left of it) and borescoped it.

But I have a funny feeling it was the worn camshaft issue, rapidly accelerated on track. Then caused valve bounce and so on until a piston collision. I'd complained of a very slight tapping at 4krpm but the failure didn't happen for another 2000 odd miles since I started to hear it.

Back