Scottoiler question

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
For anyone that has fitted them, is there any value going with the e-system over the x-system? The handlebar control looks 'orrible but if it's more effective it might be worth it?

Hi, I've been using Scott Oilers since they started. The newer electrical devices are a huge step up from the older vacuum types. They were good but the flow rate varied dependent on temperature.

I've never used the x system but my other 3 bikes have the e system and find them fantastic. Very little over spray onto wheel, far less than normal spray chain oil. Very adjustable and I don't mount the control unit on the handlebars. On all my bikes I velcro it to the top of the Ram Air intake behind the headlight. Out of the way, you can still adjust it and still rear it while you're riding. I've just chained my lightweight 520 race chain on my Ducati 1098R after 28,000 miles of hard use. They certainly work. That and a lube tube allows me 2500-3000 miles during a European trip. Hope that helps, Jamie

I?ve had the e system and it?s quite good. The only advantage I can see for that over the x system is the option to adjust the flow rate on the move. But I can?t imagine anyone would do that very often. It does clutter up the clipons a bit too, and the blue glow at night is a bit of a distraction...
It looks like the x system moves all of the controls to the reservoir, so a tidier option.
Having said all that, I am missing this on my new bike, fed up with oiling the chain by had already. If you?re doing a lot of miles, get one of them as long as you?re not too fussy about sticky oil steadily slicking the number plate with fling.

Thanks both, good to get your views. Will have a think about what's going to be most useful (there's ?40 difference) but have used a manual one on every bike I've had for the last few years and don't like being without one!

Jamie - Curious, where do you fit the lube tube (love that name :cool: ), under the rear seat?

As for fling on the number plate, that's kind of an ongoing challenge for me, especially riding all year. My workshop hates how dirty I get the plate, control freaks stop me at petrol stations and tell me I should clean it (would they do that to a bloke??), and a taxi driver warned me that coppers on Marylebone Rd were stopping bikers with 'hidden' number plates!

Yes, under the rear seat. Fits out of the way so you don?t loose and space. Strange having splash on the legible part of the plate. I only get a little on the side closet to tyre and my plate has a black back so never notice it. J

Yes, under the rear seat. Fits out of the way so you don?t loose and space. Strange having splash on the legible part of the plate. I only get a little on the side closet to tyre and my plate has a black back so never notice it. J
I never wash the bike, it does build up eventually. I just keep an eye on the tyre and turn it down a bit if I see any oil on the edge. Apart from that, it just gets a good soaking. I just hate the noise and vibration of a dirty chain, not bothered about the mess.
Come trade in time, it all comes off and underneath is mint!

I use one of my bikes on a 84 mile daily ride and in October I just coat the vulnerable surfaces in salt water grease and come March wash it off... still looks like new 64,000 miles later.

But I must add all my sportsbikes are meticulously cleaned as it?s amazing how you find issues/problems whilst cleaning.
Yes that?s true, I?m often a amazed how the fk I?ve got down the road with this or that hanging off...but so far ? so good!

When you order more oil, get the red oil. It?s less prone to fling. Global warming and all that. They?re made Scotland so they think everywhere is as cold. I lived in Aberdeen for a while and I?ve never experienced cold in February like it. Sorry to our Scottish members. :) J

Looks perfect.... Does the delivery nib catch on the chain when you push the bike backwards? J

Jolly good question! Have just given it a 60 mile try out (scrubbing the Power 5s in) but not convinced I spent much time going backwards ;)

Seriously though, I did back it out of the garage in the first place and it doesn't seem to have caught on the chain but I will keep an eye on it now that you've mentioned it!

When you order more oil, get the red oil. It?s less prone to fling. Global warming and all that. They?re made Scotland so they think everywhere is as cold. I lived in Aberdeen for a while and I?ve never experienced cold in February like it. Sorry to our Scottish members. :) J

Sadly, I do ride in appalling weather (yep, even snow on occasion) so the blue stuff may be the way to go for half the year at least...

You don?t need the dual delivery system on any bike. If you put the nib on the outside of the chain next to the sprocket, simple centrifugal-petal force and the wind going down the left side of the bike fully lubes both rollers sets inside and out.

If the nib is rubbing pushing the bike backwards, you?ll soon here it. Showing my age here, it?s like the old football rattles!

That?ll bring back memories of the ?70?s for quite a few on the forum. ;)

For the younger members.... an early version of the Vuvuzela but in the understated British way!!!!!! ;)

Last edited:
Showing my age here, it?s like the old football rattles!

That?ll bring back memories of the ?70?s for quite a few on the forum. ;)

For the younger members.... an early version of the Vuvuzela but in the understated British way!!!!!! ;)

Can you imagine a football ground letting thousands of people in with wooden clubs now?

Yep, how times change. Imagine trying to sell the idea of the motorcycle to investors now. Here's the pitch.....

Well, the 'Motorcycle' uses an 'engine' that provides forward motion via wheels. It only has 2 wheels so will fall over without the rider holding it up. This 'engine' uses highly flammable liquid that is compressed, then ignited and the following explosion through a series of mechanical components rotating at high speed drives the wheels. The highly flammable liquid is stored in an aluminium 'tank' directly in front of the rider which he basically cuddles whilst riding. The engine below the 'fuel' tank gets red hot. The best of these motorcycles can reach speeds of 200mph. The fuel will need a massive network of 'Stations' every few miles where anyone can pour 'highly flammable fuel' into the tank.

Right, hands up who's willing to invest..... ;)

J

I fitted my first Scottoiler in 1987, and had one on most of my bikes up to 2004/5, the last one I bought they fitted for me free on my RR2 Blade as hooking up to the vacuum side was a pure bastard, I'm sure part of the install was to drill a hole for the spigot. They asked if they could use some of the fitting pics of my bike for their website, which they did, they were on the site for years....(my 15 mins) [emoji2][emoji2]

Last time I was at their factory if you can call it that was to pick up 5 ltrs of 365 which by the way is an excellent product.

I took some pics which I posted on here, I've met the old guy Scott before, and on that day he walked past me in the corridor as I looked around. He's an old racer and done a bit of damage in his time... as anyone knows who has one, your chain runs smooth as silk, it's a superb bit of kit. I don't bother now as the quality of chains are so good as is the dry lube...

Found the pics !... March '16

https://photos.app.goo.gl/c5rv6XMyZXKWcFki7

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
16cc373078405e21684d22e1110ee587.jpg

Last edited:
Back