My new (Used) Gen 4

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavD101

Reaction score
A few of you know I chopped in my 2017 Gen 3 for a Gen 4. I picked it up on Saturday and I have to say the 3rd riding a Gen 4 i can happily say I made the right choice and for an Ex-demo it is in really nice condition.

In all honesty i was a little apprehensive, mainly because I loved my Gen 3. And when I had a few demos on the Gen 4 i wasn't blown away at the time to be honest. That could mostly likely be it being a demo bike and I felt it didn't have the same character as the old Gen 3 bruiser.

But i can honestly say i am blown away by the Gen 4. I don't need to go into details as i think most people know how good it is, the handling is way more fluid that the old bike and that engine. Well it isn't just a little bit faster than the Gen 3, it is a lot faster i feel. (Like poopy pant filling faster)

Only niggle is neutral. This is one of the bikes where it is near impossible to locate. Dealer knows and I will have it looked at. (Apparently a replacement clutch sorts the issue?)

Anyway I have only really scratched the surface of the bike and looking forward to putting some road and track miles on it.

Parts fitted

Some of my Gen 3 bits fitted which was a bonus.
- Axle protectors from R&G
- Paddock Bobbins also fitted as well.
- Crash bungs (Street version) by GB Racing, again they went straight on.

I have also added:

- Ilmberger Frame guards.
- R&G rad/oil guard
- M Sport tank pad
- To fit Brembo SC pads (originals won't last few hundred miles let a lone a track day)
- GB Racing engine case protectors.
- Tail tidy and obligatory small plate

At this stage I plan to leave it stock in terms of performance mods, maybe a slip on for the road but other than that i personally won't benefit from a system) I will have HM get the suspension setup for me though.

Some really poor pics for you:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice mate got the same colour picked up last Monday who is the suspension guy you use I've never got my head round that side of things anyway enjoy the bike mate.

Nice mate got the same colour picked up last Monday who is the suspension guy you use I've never got my head round that side of things anyway enjoy the bike mate.

I will be going to HM racing as they're my closest. Edenbridge in Kent.

Thanks for that Gav. I?ve been telling myself the Hen 3?s a Breyer road bike and better to tour on but looks like I?m just lying to myself.. hahaha enjoy your new beast [emoji1305]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that Gav. I?ve been telling myself the Hen 3?s a Breyer road bike and better to tour on but looks like I?m just lying to myself.. hahaha enjoy your new beast [emoji1305]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a horrible, horrible lie! (However i would love to have a Gen 3 in the garage with the Gen 4)

Looks shocking. And to think I swapped Sunday to Saturday. I do have wet tyres. Maybe the first time they get used. May have to as the Dunlops fitted are meant to be shocking in the wet.

Sadly, I don't have wet tyres or a van. My plan was to ride there and back. 80% risk of thunder and rain from my location at the time I'd be leaving the house and then the same sort of weather reported around Donny. To be honest, I don't think it's even worth me making the effort to attend. Looks like I will probably lose my money then :(

Yeah riding there definitely makes it less appealing. I have done a few wet rides to track days and it isn't fun. I thought FE had some kind of wet weather policy if it rains you credit towards another day. Or am i wrong?

My understanding is that if FE cancel due to adverse weather conditions and there's zero riding taking place on the day then they will give you another date or credit you. I think if you yourself decide to cancel because of weather, but FE still decide to continue with the event then that's a different conversation I guess. I wonder what their cutoff point is to make a decision on cancelling for the next day?

Hmm it looks like it doesnt matter either way. Doesn't cover for weekends according to their site. I am going to make a call later to see what to do. I don't mind the odd wet session but all day is grim.

Focused Events Wet Weather Guarantee

Here is a link to the FE Wet Weather Guarantee. As always the devil is in the detail as a session has to be declared fully wet. In track terms that normally only applies when you have spray and/or standing water. Race Control will normally be the ones to declare the circuit wet and you should see marker boards out in pit lane stating a session has been classed as such. Whether you choose to ride is up to you but wet trackdays can be just as much fun as dry ones. If you lack confidence just ask one of the instructors to tow you around for a session and you will likely be surprised at the amount of grip available on a damp or wet circuit.

https://www.focusedevents.com/wet-track-guarantee

I was looking to book Saturday with FE but missed the train last week.

Looking today at Saturday's weather - doesnt look too inspiring.

Re: Focused Events Wet Weather Guarantee

Here is a link to the FE Wet Weather Guarantee. As always the devil is in the detail as a session has to be declared fully wet. In track terms that normally only applies when you have spray and/or standing water. Race Control will normally be the ones to declare the circuit wet and you should see marker boards out in pit lane stating a session has been classed as such. Whether you choose to ride is up to you but wet trackdays can be just as much fun as dry ones. If you lack confidence just ask one of the instructors to tow you around for a session and you will likely be surprised at the amount of grip available on a damp or wet circuit.

https://www.focusedevents.com/wet-track-guarantee

Useful info Ryan, thanks for sharing. Problem is, based on the weather forecast I'd be drenched on the way to Donny even before I get there, and then rain is forecast pretty much all day. Just doesn't seem very appealing anymore really, disappointing as I was really looking forward to this. Will take a final decision in the morning, as who knows the weather peeps may have got it wrong!

Back