Indicator timing

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I am not a fan of self-cancelling indicators - they don't suit the kind of riding I do (long commutes, ridiculous amounts of filtering and overtaking, all weathers and light conditions) and often mean that I end up checking if my indicators are still on when my attention should rightly be focussed on staying alive!
Admittedly the Gen 3 is not as bad as the VFR was (it lasts twice as long) but at least with that one I found the right wire to pull out :angel:

So, has anyone discovered if the function can either be cancelled or the 'on' interval extended significantly?

I'm starting this thread reluctantly as it tends to bring out the worse in people... :uncomfortableness:

Hi katie, as far as I know there is no way for changing the indicator setup.

https://www.s1000rrforum.com/threads/self-cancelling-turn-signal.841/page-2
The self cancelling indicators are indeed a right pain. I found this link (hope it works) and it seems the dealer can adjust it, but it?s not a dashboard option. Manual is far better IMO. The time it catches me out is when signalling to other riders that a mway exit is approaching and it?s time to get in the right lane, only to find the bloody thing has self cancelled before the exit JUST at the time you?re looking all about but not at the signal repeater...

may be able to do it with a GS unit,but couldn't say for sure

The self cancelling indicators are indeed a right pain. I found this link (hope it works) and it seems the dealer can adjust it, but it?s not a dashboard option. Manual is far better IMO. The time it catches me out is when signalling to other riders that a mway exit is approaching and it?s time to get in the right lane, only to find the bloody thing has self cancelled before the exit JUST at the time you?re looking all about but not at the signal repeater...

Thanks for that. The last picture looks like it can just be disabled? I did also go and check the manual and it says:

The turn indicators are cancelled automatically after the defined time and distance. The defined time and distance travelled can be set by an authorised BMW Motorrad dealer.

Just have to remember it until I next need to go to the dealer! If they can sort it for me I will, obviously, ride all the way home with my indicator on...

+1, the auto cancel feature can be disabled by your local dealer.
I had mine disabled as I too don?t like it

Well I've had my bike for nearly 2 years and I didn't know they self cancelled. I will be trying it next time in out.

Rob

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Yep, you can set the auto cancel distance or turn it off with a gs-911... having said that this feature never worked on my gen 2...

Wait what?? Does a gen 3 have self cancelling indicators???? I've never known mine to cancel by themselves and I've had it two years and 5k miles :dejection:

Wait what?? Does a gen 3 have self cancelling indicators???? I've never known mine to cancel by themselves and I've had it two years and 5k miles :dejection:

Yes, next time you're going to turn off at a slip road, stick it on early and see if it cancels before you get to the end of the sliproad.

Standard set up from BMW is approximately 200 metres and then it cancels. It's been the same on all the BMW's I've had (F800/K1200RT/K1300S and Gen 3 and 4). Never knew it could be adjusted though. Every day is a school day [emoji23]

Sent from my J8110 using Tapatalk

Back