Had a test ride...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Took out a Gen4 today for the first time, I'd been avoiding it incase I liked it too much. Happily I can tell it's better but it's not night and day from what I have in my modded Gen3 so I'm OK to continue waiting for now.

Improvements I noticed which I think most have echo'd;
  • I think the bars are more comfortable, it's like they are closer to you... possibly from the changes to the tank, it's less of a stretch.
  • The tank shape is much better.
  • Peg position was spot on for me at 5'11.
  • Dash works really well I was in bright sunshine and love how vivid it is.
  • It is light on its feet (this was a Sport w/Forged rims), not as top heavy as the Gen3.
  • Turns in really nicely - had to stop myself over steering.
  • Engine pulls like a train, all the way to 9k :/
  • The Hockenheim Silver grows on me - properly sparkles in the sunlight.
  • Brakes were strong from cold

Things that left me less impressed;
  • Fueling at low rpm
  • Feels odd at times on coast like it's pushing forwards still (lack of engine braking?)
  • QS / Gearbox wasn't as smooth as mine - does it get better with age?
    • I think all 3 of these are down to the lighter/lower inertia crank but I could be wrong.
  • That seat, it had the M-Sport on and after 20mins it was uncomfortable (I'd already ridden for 80 mins getting to the dealership on mine)
  • Bit buzzy ~4k rpm. Feet and fingers. But not as bad as mine without its heavy bar ends (my Gen3 has no vibes :) )
  • I think this particular bike had some light knocking when coming to a rest under brakes. Could have been abused by previous testers.

When I got back on mine my ass was much happier. Whilst the heft of the Gen3 is greater when turning, it's nicely planted too, and the intertia in the engine makes for a nice cruise, missile. The Gen4 I am sure would get me places faster if I was so inclined. If I was a road only rider...maybe there'd be less reasons to upgrade.

Don't get me wrong, the Gen4 is a step on but it's not an 'OMG I can't live without it and the Gen3 is dead to me' situation. I am confident I will have one, but I'm happy with my lot for now.

FWIW, I went out in ROAD mode to have some comfort, it was only a 30min blat so not as comprehensive as some, the roads used were not well known to me, to really go at them.

I had a fun little ride but like most others, I'd need a different seat or padded cycling shorts to go any distance on it!

Painted popped in sunlight

20200613_124045.jpg

IMG-20200613-WA0001.jpeg

IMG-20200613-WA0003.jpeg

3a2538e48a75c59bc1f93c192b443634.jpg

537a7ce381883c73b4521a82542b9e6b.jpg

4f7a8e5f2c0f553908cbc0e65bcd6cbc.jpg

The eagle eye'd will spot the damage done by the previous user...who dropped it in the carpark along with their pants for a ?2k excess spanking.

- Alex

Last edited:
Totally different colour in daylight isn?t it.....
great review. Im guessing it was still limited and the shortness of your test ride your pretty conclusive on the overall opinion.

thanks for sharing.... I?m still researching some cycling shorts lol

Things that left me less impressed;
Fueling at low rpm
Feels odd at times on coast like it's pushing forwards still (lack of engine braking?)
QS / Gearbox wasn't as smooth as mine - does it get better with age?
I think all 3 of these are down to the lighter/lower inertia crank but I could be wrong.

That seat, it had the M-Sport on and after 20mins it was uncomfortable (I'd already ridden for 80 mins getting to the dealership on mine)
Bit buzzy ~4k rpm. Feet and fingers. But not as bad as mine without its heavy bar ends (my Gen3 has no vibes )
I think this particular bike had some light knocking when coming to a rest under brakes. Could have been abused by previous testers.

i did back to back with my gen 3 too and wasnt overly impressed with the demo bike i was given. the bike that arrived as mine is night and day. no fueling issues with mine at any rpm, qs on gen 4 is a massive jump on imo, loads smoother even from low rpm, the seat i hated on the test ride and even bought a gel insert before the bike was delivered,,no need too as the M seat is actually a lot better than you think. ive even got the 10mm lower one which has less foam. ive done over 200 miles in a day and have absolutely no sore arse. its defo weird as i said i thought from the test ride it would kill. I do really think if i got back on the gen3 now it would feel slow and dated. the handling is night and day and the thing just wants to wheelie everywhere. lol. ive had to start to learn how to steer with the front off the ground. the demo i had was not the gen 4 that i got. :)

OE QS is sloppy, dont you have Lohmann on Gen3 ? it's quite a difference.

It was more the way it performed the shift than the shifter itself, how the drive reacted. I don't know if I'm really lucky with my Gen3, which passed 9000miles today, but I can up and downshift without doing much with the throttle, the Gen 4 seemed more recalcitrant.
I don't think the Lohmann shifter changed anything in this regard always had it this way I think, even pre RS2E...

Totally different colour in daylight isn?t it.....
great review. Im guessing it was still limited and the shortness of your test ride your pretty conclusive on the overall opinion.

thanks for sharing.... I?m still researching some cycling shorts lol

honestly i dont think your need the shorts.

I did wonder if the fueling would be better post delimiter with an ECU update...

Have you been hanging from your big toes, I swear you were not 5ft 11 last time we crossed paths?

It was more the way it performed the shift than the shifter itself, how the drive reacted. I don't know if I'm really lucky with my Gen3, which passed 9000miles today, but I can up and downshift without doing much with the throttle, the Gen 4 seemed more recalcitrant.
I don't think the Lohmann shifter changed anything in this regard always had it this way I think, even pre RS2E...

The feel of the shifter and blipper is the greatest thing I miss from the Gen 3. The 4?s shifter has a (sort of) elastic feel rather than the beautiful crispness that the 3 possessed In both up and down directions. I really miss that.

The 4?s brakes are great but lack the consistency of the 3?s.

Apart from that the new bike demolishes the old one as far as I?m concerned.

The feel of the shifter and blipper is the greatest thing I miss from the Gen 3. The 4?s shifter has a (sort of) elastic feel rather than the beautiful crispness that the 3 possessed In both up and down directions. I really miss that.

The 4?s brakes are great but lack the consistency of the 3?s.

Apart from that the new bike demolishes the old one as far as I?m concerned.

its mad how these bikes differ, my gen 4 is crisp but i do have the gilles rearsets so that might help. both my gen 3's were like standing on a pastie. lol

i have the gen 4 M sport, its a much better bike in every way compared to my gen 3 sport.

In my opinion QS is identical, both sloppy. I believe the actual unit is the same hardware.

Gen4 brakes are much better, especially with right pads. Brake lever is bad, but MC itself is fine.

I would suggest to double check fitment of QS relative to lever and shift rod. Lots of these kind of problems are due to incorrect fitment.

I would suggest to double check fitment of QS relative to lever and shift rod. Lots of these kind of problems are due to incorrect fitment.

Cheers - would appreciate a bit of guidance on what to check?

I fitted Gilles rear sets on mine after only a handful of miles so can?t really remember what the stock shifter felt like. Have to say it works exceptionally well, just feels different from the 3 - squidgy?s a gold term for it.

Back