New Bike Time

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carsonr6

Banned
Reaction score
Just pulled the pin on a Yamaha R1M. It's a low mileage 2018 model.

Looking forward to picking it up on Tuesday and having a go with it at Oulton Wednesday if the weather stays dry!

25aa93d602e52848b97d142f8f91b562.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I?m not 100% yet.

I wanted a road bike for the house in Spain and always wanted the R1. I?m going to see how I get on with it on track and decide between using the R1M and the Gen 3 as a permanent track bike.

If I prefer the R1M on the track to the Gen 3 then I?ll put the gen 3 back in road trim and have that as my road bike out in Spain. If not I?ll keep the R1M as a road bike out there.

Went out with Stu today and was the first time on the R1M.

Firstly - this bike may possibly be the best handling bike that I?ve ever ridden. Unreal actually.

Wasn?t impressed with the power compared to the Beemer really but I had it in power mode 2. Changed to power mode 1 and it was unreal.

I found it very, very similar to my 1299S but that?s not a bad thing. It?s more aggressive than the BMW I?d say as well.
The finish on the Yamaha is amazing and really impressed with it. Considering it?s 2 years old and 4K miles which is double what the beemer is, there?s less marks on the paint.

One concern I had with the Yamaha was the brakes. I?d heard loads of rumours that this was the bikes weak point. I?m not an aggressive braker but I can honestly say the standard brakes performed faultlessly.

Just don?t ask me to choose between them both cause I?ve no idea which is better than the other.

Beemer has more creature comforts and the dash and controls are the best I?ve seen on any bike. The heated grips, Bluetooth and sat-nav are nice touches on a road bike.

I?m not a fan of Michelin tyres and I?ve really grown to love the Metzeler K3s on the beemer but that being said I had no issues with the Michelin Power 5 CTs that?s on the R1.

In reality they?re awesome bikes and if you had to choose between them it would be really difficult.
The carbon bodywork and overall finish of the R1 might sway some but then the cost/value of the Beemer can?t be beaten I don?t think but you do sacrifice a bit of quality for it. Reliability issues on the Gen 4 might also play their part in some people?s decision.

Be interesting to see what one I go to first in the garage next time I?m going out.

4c62b223779bd578d15a5777ef3b55aa.jpg

eb3f1e400f30cf3f10d060d2be453619.plist

970fc7130f4fe06f5f30f5eb2eb91c41.jpg

8ecae3924bb7dec6aabf278e21fec245.plist

Love the M always have. The R1?s sound amazing decated, pure GP sound. Enjoy mate.

Love the M always have. The R1?s sound amazing decated, pure GP sound. Enjoy mate.

It?s a bit infectious as standard mate. Probably lose my licence once there?s an exhaust on there!

One of the things I forgot to mention is that the quick shifter on the gen 4 is much smoother.

What a bike! Good to hear from someone who rides 2 road bikes back to back.
You had a great day for it, Folk must have thought you were out with your Dad when you parked up :eagerness:

Back