New to HP4 -Set Up Advice

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul1967

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've recently purchased my 2013 HP4 and would like to ask you all for some set up advice. My S1000R was the same process for sag setting so I'm good with that and am within the 5-10 mm front and 8-12 mm rear figures. The ddc settings however vary greatly from my 2017 single R which was much less adjustable. The bike came to me with all front and rear settings set to 0. I only ride on the road so wondered if you could advise on where I should heading with the next stage of setting the bike up?

Thanks in advance,
Paul.

Last edited:
Congratulations. If its road riding and the preload is correct for you then as a general rule you will probably want it softer, so go -3 or -4 to start and see how it feels, and how much compression on the front you get (use a zip tie). I also found dropping to 32-33psi on the front helped the ride feel.

Thankyou for the quick reply. That makes lots of sense. The -3 or -4 is that all round or just the figure for the front please?

Congratulations. If its road riding and the preload is correct for you then as a general rule you will probably want it softer, so go -3 or -4 to start and see how it feels, and how much compression on the front you get (use a zip tie). I also found dropping to 32-33psi on the front helped the ride feel.

Thanks again for helping me out with a starting point. I've done as you said and taken it for a good ride this afternoon. I found -3 on the front a little firm still and didn't use a big enough proportion of the travel with the cable tie in place but was much better. I set the rear to -3 and -3 and found the compression great but it was hitting me up the rear off bumps.

Stopped for a coffee and went to -5 on the front and -1 on the rear rebound with still-3 on the compression at the rear. All I can say is WOW!!!! What a difference. Absolutely found the sweet spot for me.

Paul.

RR's usually need strong rebound so you may end up with + on the rear to stop it pinging up.

I'd go 0 Comp +2 Rebound on the rear.

RR's usually need strong rebound so you may end up with + on the rear to stop it pinging up.

I'd go 0 Comp +2 Rebound on the rear.

Thanks Alex. I'll see how it goes when I start pushing on a bit and I will give these a go if it starts to feel off and starts kicking up. I upped my pace after finding a good setting yesterday and it felt fantastic but always willing to try what other people have had success with.

Back