New joiner with a conundrum

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhysos

Reaction score
Hello all,

A recent new joiner although I am nearly 3 years into my 2017 S1000RR ownership.

Part of the reason for joining is to get some inspiration from fellow bike enthusiasts as I'm nearly at the point of having to decide what I do with the bike as it's on a drip.

1) Keep and start adding a few bits (it's totally standard)
2) Trade in for the newer one (???)
3) Hand back and mull over what to do next over the winter. The trouble is it is such an amazing bike all round I'm not sure what I would look at next.

Feel free to berate me for even considering getting rid btw.. and any other suggestions are welcome!

If you are happy with bike and it meets your needs then keep it. Add some personal touches as when you feel the need. The Gen 4 is a cracking bike by all accounts but there are a some teething issues still so personally I wouldn?t trade your Gen 3 for a newer RR just yet.

Thx - definitely erring towards keeping the bike and already researching up some additons. It's the longest I've ever kept one which tells me a lot! In for a service soon then hopefully some ride outs :)

If you are happy with bike and it meets your needs then keep it. Add some personal touches as when you feel the need. The Gen 4 is a cracking bike by all accounts but there are a some teething issues still so personally I wouldn?t trade your Gen 3 for a newer RR just yet.

100% what he said.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum!

Carbon is a mans best friend....... that?s all I?m gonna say

Good idea! Hilltop are not far from me. I've had plenty of cars mapped but never a bike

You've raised an interesting topic there. :cold: Defo keep your Gen 3, there seems to be some issues with early Gen 4's?

Welcome to the forum!

I?m very glad to hear you?re throughly enjoying your RR [emoji846]
As Soof and the others have said, in my opinion if your current RR is not causing you any issues, then I would suggest waiting another year or two and then reconsider upgrading to the new bike.
With regards to mods, I wouldn?t get too carried away with it, if your intention is to change bike in the not too distant future. If you do go for any mods then I would go for things that are easy to sell on come Px.

With regard to ECU flashing, personally I would go anywhere other than where you state ... BrenTuning, RS2E, Phil Crowe have a good reputation, for good reason.

Enjoy the forum and I hope you have a good Summer ahead on your S1000RR [emoji41]

I was in the same boat.
Decided to pay off the PCP and keep it. I will thrash it on track till it explodes [emoji23] then get a nearly new gen4.

I have a map from RS2E on my Gen3 and its bloody good, but my fuel economy is in the toilet when cruising. If you're just looking to improve the map where its super lean for emmisions I would stick to a PCV.

- Alex

Last edited:
I was in the same boat.
Decided to pay off the PCP and keep it. I will thrash it on track till it explodes [emoji23] then get a nearly new gen4.

I have a map from RS2E on my Gen3 and its bloody good, but my fuel economy is in the toilet when cruising. If you're just looking to improve the map where its super lean for economy I would stick to a PCV.

- Alex

Thanks Alex!

Back