First time in the rain

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ste M

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I commute a lot on my bike so can get caught out by the rain a bit, I won't intentionally use my bike if I know its going to rain but sometimes you get caught out.

Today on my way home off nights was my first time in the rain, its not exactly heavy but my legs and backside got absolutely drenched. The back of the seat was also soaking which I may of put down to the tail tidy but the bottom of my upper legs makes no sense at all to where the spray could be coming from. I've changed my tail tidy for a smaller r&g one and smaller plate but no way could this alone make this much difference. I'll be honest I'm not impressed at all by it.

Ive commuted for years in all kinds of weather on my old Daytona but never experienced anything like this.

Is it my tail tidy or is it a design fault?

BTW i got my bike treated in bmws version of ACF50 when I bought it and I also always dry the bike down after a run.

It?ll probably be the tail tidy mate!
That?s why the original offerings are so bloody long and ugly.
Could be from under the bike but my guess is the former?
I do a bit of touring on my Yamaha FZ1. I purposely didn?t fit a tail tidy to this one, as I was bound to be riding in the rain at some point.
Got one on my S1000RR though as I hope I don?t get caught out like you were?

Last edited:
If this is the case then i may swap it back.

Be interesting to hear if anyone else has changed theirs and have the same issues or not, I could understand the back of the seat being wet from that but not my legs as it just doesn't make sense

Be interesting to hear if anyone else has changed theirs and have the same issues or not, I could understand the back of the seat being wet from that but not my legs as it just doesn't make sense

I had the same on KTM Superduke. Have Evotech installed and when in rain/dirt - my back immediately gets sprayed/drenched.

Same issue with a CBR R&G tail tidy. Mud and water splashed up under the top box all over the pillion seat and down the back of my legs - very attractive look...

The original license plate holder might help some, but it has the hole in the center so crap and water will fly throught it to your back... might need a bigger clear plastic to be bolted on to act as a fender, otherwise it won't help

Same here on a G3, changed tail for an Evotech. Last year toured around south/mid Wales in some dire weather (alternative after Picos trip was cancelled due to the Brittany ferry debacle) and once home the back end, seat unit, end can, swing arm, wheel, my waterproofs etc. looked like I'd done a few laps round Hawstone Park. Good laugh riding in the rain and soon cleans up but it was everywhere including under rear seat cover and in the battery box.

Cheers for the replies. My old bike never suffered with this much spray so was wondering if the bmw also suffers with the standard tail tidy on, if it does then there is no point in me changing it back, in fact if im honest I was thinking of changing it again to the HRC one

If anyone has ridden their bike in the rain and suffered then it would be great to know

Cheers for the replies. My old bike never suffered with this much spray so was wondering if the bmw also suffers with the standard tail tidy on, if it does then there is no point in me changing it back, in fact if im honest I was thinking of changing it again to the HRC one

If anyone has ridden their bike in the rain and suffered then it would be great to know

I got my M last year and have an R&G tail tidy like you, only difference being that I?m running a standard plate. One lovely sunny afternoon I rode in to Liverpool but needless to say it started pissing down shortly after - so a cold and horribly wet ride home but I don?t recall the issues you?ve had in spite me getting pissed wet through. Maybe it is the smaller plate matey?

I got my M last year and have an R&G tail tidy like you, only difference being that I?m running a standard plate. One lovely sunny afternoon I rode in to Liverpool but needless to say it started pissing down shortly after - so a cold and horribly wet ride home but I don?t recall the issues you?ve had in spite me getting pissed wet through. Maybe it is the smaller plate matey?

I may put the original plate on and go for a run next time it rains then to be honest, Its been driving me mad wondering why I got so wet. Ive ridden in all kinds of weather over the years and never been that bad in them particular areas.

Surprised it was raining in Liverpool, its usually always sunny here haha

On my Gen 3 with a full sized plate and an R&G tail tidy my back, seat and seat cowl gets covered whenever the roads are wet.
I can?t remember what it was like with the standard number plate holder, but in previous experiences tail tidies don?t help matters with regard to spray

I may put the original plate on and go for a run next time it rains then to be honest, Its been driving me mad wondering why I got so wet. Ive ridden in all kinds of weather over the years and never been that bad in them particular areas.

Surprised it was raining in Liverpool, its usually always sunny here haha

Liverpool rain doesn?t normally matter to me as it?s usually a train journey followed by an afternoon spent in Brewdog - or at least it used to be!

Back