Start up

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting that jvirta, I see what you mean but it doesn't seem that bad, not as bad as I expected anyway. Love your exhaust btw, that's the one I've been eyeing up lately too! :)

Thanks. It is very close of stalling but doesn't stall after the software update. Before the update it sounded otherwise the same but stalled on the first pop :D

I was considering the stubby on (CR-T) but it looks too small considering what a huge thing the exhaust is with the cats. Also everybody seems to go for stubbies so I wanted something different. I considered also the SC1-R but it is the same size as oem and I wanted a smaller one :D

Last edited:
That'll be the rocker arms, which most (?) recent Japanese bikes don't have.

Hi, finger followers have a number of advantages. The main ones being they are smaller, lighter and less stressed than buckets. These followers allow for higher revs because there?s less weight in valve chain. It also allows for the engine to be narrower thus saving more weight. That?s why the ZX10 in the last update went to finger followers. Plus if it?s good enough for F1 engines, it?s be fine for our old diesels with only 200bhp. J

My old GPz900R had rocker arms and screw and locknut valve adjustment. They were so noisy that if you had any degree of mechanical sympathy, then earplugs were compulsory, even at tickover!

Last edited:
My old GPz900R had rocker arms and screw and locknut valve adjustment. They were so noisy that if you had any degree of mechanical sympathy, then earplugs were compulsory, even at tickover!

I loved the GPZ900R... so much so I had 5 of them. The longest made superbike in history. 19 years continuous run. Yep, screw and lock but will be noisy if not regularly checked and adjusted. Fingers and shins are currently the way to go. ?

Having had 2 gen 3?s but not the 4 yet, this sounds like an emissions software issue (as you all know!) The early 2016 was never an issue. The very late 2018 last version with the huge cat and built just before the gen 4 was ?released into the market? is quite buggy. Cold starts when the ambient temperature is above ~15 often result in an instant fire up and then a quick fail. Running around town in high ambient temps 20+ can feel like it?s being strangled, very rough running and clearly far too lean. On the open road, all good though. There?s no way ANY super bike is going to meet emissions regs unless they?re tuning/cheating those regs. Live with it, or get it mapped. I?ll be living with it, and hoping it?ll do the business at the next trackday...
There are lots of complaints about the US about the S1 2020, they have a lot more problems than we do due to the emissions laws.

Having had 2 gen 3?s but not the 4 yet, this sounds like an emissions software issue (as you all know!) The early 2016 was never an issue. The very late 2018 last version with the huge cat and built just before the gen 4 was ?released into the market? is quite buggy. Cold starts when the ambient temperature is above ~15 often result in an instant fire up and then a quick fail. Running around town in high ambient temps 20+ can feel like it?s being strangled, very rough running and clearly far too lean. On the open road, all good though. There?s no way ANY super bike is going to meet emissions regs unless they?re tuning/cheating those regs. Live with it, or get it mapped. I?ll be living with it, and hoping it?ll do the business at the next trackday...
There are lots of complaints about the US about the S1 2020, they have a lot more problems than we do due to the emissions laws.

Very true... after the VW Emmisions debacle, the emissions are strictly adhered to. Personally if it?s a keeper I?d get it flashed.

Wasn't the US issue caused more by Californian noise regulations than emissions?

But anyway, a 50bhp hole in the power curve is awful. A flash is mandatory there
I think it?s mainly emissions, noise is more of a Euro issue. But, bottom line, enjoy while you can! It?s ALL going dude....

I loved the GPZ900R... so much so I had 5 of them. The longest made superbike in history. 19 years continuous run. Yep, screw and lock but will be noisy if not regularly checked and adjusted. Fingers and shins are currently the way to go. ?

Let?s quit this GPZ900R line - it?s making me feel my age! Fine machines indeed, but no traction, slide, heated grips, hill start, mobile app connectivity...doh!!

Back