Video guides and other stuff

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been shared before but have found this chap pretty helpful in terms of 'how to' videos. Probably pretty basic for experienced users but really good for taking the fairing off the first time! Pretty sure the indicator wire would have defeated me without this:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Sportbiketrackgear/videos

Have also got my 'how to fit the screen' video ready for when the Slipscreen arrives :)

Shame there wasn't one for 'how not to strip the thread when fitting replacement bar ends' :hopelessness: Was fitting the Evotech bar ends yesterday and apparently the recommended torque was more than it could handle! Waiting for my workshop to reopen so I can get a helicoil fitted...

Also fitted the Racing Radiator Guards rad and oil cooler guards as the original rad guard I bought didn't fit the 2018 model :dispirited: Up for grabs at ?20 to anyone that wants to take a chance it will/can be made to fit their bike?

Guards.jpg

Last edited:
Katie, I don?t know if you have already but you can download the workshop dvd from the premier downloads area which has all the various torque settings for the bike and ?how to? for most general things.

HI Soof, yep have got that, just liked the step-by-step aspect of the videos (and the manual download only opens in part form). I'm a visual learner so it makes it easier :)

The bar ends show as 66Nm but, as the new ends are deeper, the amount of thread going into the bar is reduced. Got to about 50Nm and it stripped out the thread from the bar. Have temporarily put the original end back in as the thread goes in a lot further and am reluctant to tighten the other side up past 50Nm either! Have used some blue loctite but not keen on the idea of trying to find a missing bar end in a hedgerow...

Hi Katie,

Just my 2 pence worth, I would buy a good quality oil and rad guard. I think I paid around ?50 for mine a few years back and I had stone chip damage...Set me back ?65 to repair, however, will be getting Evotech ones that are a better build quality.

Enjoy the bike and hope you get you bar end sorted.

Amit.

Thanks Amit. Have used the RRGs on several bikes and found them to be easy to fit (always a bonus for me!) and very protective. They do happen to be cheap but that is not why I've used them. Not many manufacturers stretch their range across Benelli, Aprilia, Honda and BMW :) . This is the one I've just fitted

https://ebay.us/alVWwV

All was good although I still have an uncomfortable relationship (read - painful) with lockwire!

And just to review (the garage was open), the Evotech bar ends make a huge difference! Carried out a scientific evaluation by riding out with one new and one old bar end first, then both new on the way back and it is really noticeable. 100g per bar difference and worth every penny (even with the ?20 extra to fix the f*ck up!).

https://evotech-performance.com/col...0-rr-handlebar-end-weights-black-2015-to-2018

Katie - for your info, I had the same issue with the Evotech bar ends and then realised that the supplied bolts were not long enough - I contacted Evotech and sent them the pictures and info and they admitted that they had specified the wrong bolts with the S1000RR bar ends - their kit for the S1000R has bolts that are 10mm longer - which is what they sent me after I had this issue. I'm somewhat amazed that they have not rectified this given that it was over a year ago that I raised this issue with them. I just fitted the longer bolts, as the thread engagement was sufficient to pass by the damaged threads.

Katie - for your info, I had the same issue with the Evotech bar ends and then realised that the supplied bolts were not long enough - I contacted Evotech and sent them the pictures and info and they admitted that they had specified the wrong bolts with the S1000RR bar ends - their kit for the S1000R has bolts that are 10mm longer - which is what they sent me after I had this issue. I'm somewhat amazed that they have not rectified this given that it was over a year ago that I raised this issue with them. I just fitted the longer bolts, as the thread engagement was sufficient to pass by the damaged threads.

Well, that makes me feel a bit better! Mind you, the ends don't come with a bolt so maybe that's the way they got around the problem? :rolleyes-new:

My claim to fame in this little story is that when I made a visit there to purchase some of their S1000RR stuff, I asked about bar end weights. They didn?t make them at that time but asked if I could weigh my originals and let the know, so they could start manufacturing them. I sent them the weights figures with and without the bolts.
I ordered a pair later but can?t remember if they came with bolts of the correct size. Didn?t have any issues fitting them so I assume they were ok!
Just as a footnote. The Evotech factory is a very modern, up to date facility with all the latest machining equipment and I was mightily impressed with the whole set up, especially as I come from a motor trade background ?

HI Soof, yep have got that, just liked the step-by-step aspect of the videos (and the manual download only opens in part form). I'm a visual learner so it makes it easier :)

The bar ends show as 66Nm but, as the new ends are deeper, the amount of thread going into the bar is reduced. Got to about 50Nm and it stripped out the thread from the bar. Have temporarily put the original end back in as the thread goes in a lot further and am reluctant to tighten the other side up past 50Nm either! Have used some blue loctite but not keen on the idea of trying to find a missing bar end in a hedgerow...

I had the exact same problem when replacing my bar ends. It wasn't major and managed to re-thread with a tap and purchased longer cap-head bolts so I could secure on the good thread at the top end of hole.

I contacted Evotech to run through this issue and they said it was a first. So I shared that others had the same issue and now their technical team are following it up. Still waiting to hear from them but guessing they're going to try it out for themselves before responding? Either way, had a bit of a ride today and the bar ends really do make the bike more fun, even when only out for an hour.

Also fitted the Slipscreens TT Road screen (?45 https://www.slipscreens.co.uk/bmw-s1000rr-2015-2017-tall-race-screen/ ) and pretty impressed with that too. Note of caution, the holes are not big enough to take the BMW grommets so I had to go and get some standard screen screws and well nuts for the top four screws (the bottom two don't go through the screen)! You might be brave enough to widen the holes with a drill but I know from expensive and painful experience just how skilled I am at that sort of thing...

Not the best pic but I think it shows how much taller the screen is at the apex

Slipscreens.jpg

Had my first experience of using the Slipscreens screen in heavy rain today and got to say it was fab! Staying tucked down on the M40 and stayed very comfy, with the under screen blast clearing my visor a treat :applause:

I also found out that my jacket has developed leaking arms but can't blame the screen for that :rolleyes-new:

Back