Anyone got BT for watching racing?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
My BT broadband/TV contract is up for renewal, and I cannot talk to BT to discuss it. For the last 18 months I have had broadband and a package called Max HD, which in amongst other things gives me BT Sport and Eurosport so I get lots of racing - BSB, WSBK and MotoGP in HD, and some roads too.

As far as I can see, BT no longer offer Eurosport at all, and BT sport costs ?15 a month, and more if you want HD. Just wondering who else has BT and what package they have - I think I can just do nothing and my current Max HD package, currently ?18pm will go to ?25pm, but I would like to confirm that with them (as they always **** it up and I lose channels). I know I could just get the Eurosport player app, but you lose the ability to record and their catchup services are pretty bad, so not keen on that.

So... has anyone faced the same issue,m and what did you do?

Cheers

Rick

Nope. The package is all BT. I should have added that... although I kinda have to stay away from Sky because all the houses around me are served Sky via a communal receiver, which keeps breaking down!

As it happens,I was looking to change from Sky to BT.
I have just had it confirmed from BT that Eurosport is no longer available in their new packages.
Basically,if you have it on your old contract now,do not take out a new one with them,you should then be able to keep it!

As it happens,I was looking to change from Sky to BT.
I have just had it confirmed from BT that Eurosport is no longer available in their new packages.
Basically,if you have it on your old contract now,do not take out a new one with them,you should then be able to keep it!

Yup - I finally got through to them just now, and that's exactly what the guy I spoke to said. I was on a discounted rate for last 18 months, so I'll pay a few quid more per month, but the do-nothing scenario is the best solution until Eurosport settle their squabble - they seem to be fighting BT and Sky for money and are not part of any BT deal at the moment (maybe Sky too?). They BT guy said that there may come a time where they are no longer to offer continuance of my deal, but I'll worry about that if and when it happens. For now I can go month to month and remain flexible...

Yeah,Eurosport are being awkward,though it still comes with the basic sky package.
Not all bad though,I've just signed back up with sky with a total new install and everything I want and saved ?30 per month!

I had BT...I moved to Virgin rather than Sky...just sayin'...
I have Eurosport/BTSport with Virgin and gained some Sky channels I couldn't get with BT.

I have to say the MotoGP App is second too none. I watch it through my Apple TV but it's available on PC, Android etc. Instant HQ HD footage all on demand. Every Race, Crash, technical video, Interview, practise going back yo 1992 on demand. I had both BT's coverage and MotoGP's at the same time and I think the MotoGP app is far better but I miss Hodgson and Edwards comments. I don't miss Keith Hewuen though. Simon Crafar spots stuff instantly that I have to play back a few times to spot. Currently free this year but normally ?139 for the year which was way cheaper than I was paying for BT Sport MotoGP. My two pennies worth.

I wish F1's owners Liberty and Dorna would work together on a platform. It would be mutually beneficial in terms of costs and allow a single subscription solution.

Failing that wsbk/motogp should be both under one portal as both are Dorna owned.

- Alex

I'm having to revisit this... I still have an old BT deal that gives me BT Sport and Eurosport in HD, meaning I can watch and record MotoGP and BSB... (and WorldSBK if it ever gets interesting...). BT keep raising the price and removing other channels, so the value is diminishing bit by bit. I can't get Virgin here, and Sky is served to my street via a communal system which is very unreliable (loss of TV for a week is common!) and will not currently support any new Sky Q connections. Not very impressive for a street of houses that were built only 10 years ago, and limits my choices of what to do.

I'm not having a moan at the local production/commentary team here, they are all really good, it's the broadcast companies I have an issue with.

If I change my TV package at all, I lose Eurosport and would probably need to rely on their crappy app which only works on TVs less than 3 years old (although it'll work on a FirestickHD).

If I dump BT I would need to get Dorna's MotoGP app, which appears to be incredibly expensive for 18-20 races (agree with Alex we should get SBK through this as well). For now, can anyone help with 3 Qs:
1. Does it have adverts?
2. What is the catchup like for race day - e.g. is it anything like the BBC iPlayer, which allows you to start watching an already running race live program from the beginning?
3. (may be redundant depending on answer to #2) How quickly are the races available for catchup? I'm asking because Eurosport app never used to make race day available until after the whole live broadcast was finished, unsure if they've fixed that.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi, I used to have BT Sport but switched to the MotoGP app as BT cottoned on to a loophole in their systems after a few years. BT used enable there sports package as soon as you applied for their Broadband/TV online. BT broadband wasn?t available to my road as the local switch was already full and they wouldn?t spend the money to expand the switch to accommodate additional users, so you?d get an email a few days later saying that they can?t fulfil the order but they never cancelled the sports package. Personally I wouldn?t pay for BT?s coverage of MotoGP as it?s crap compared to the MotoGP app. I watch the app through my Apple TV box. Every race, practice, interview etc from 1992 onwards all instantly on demand. No buffering. Easy to navigate. All for ?139 per year. Half the price of BT Sport through Sky. Full coverage of a race available for later replay after an hour. You need 2mbps for perfect playback on my AppleTV box. The only thing I miss from BT is Colin Edwards and Hodgson. The rest I don?t miss. I gather Hewuen has finally hung up his spurs. There?s something new to watch everyday. I love the app. J

I?ve worked in TV pretty all my life. Eurosport is part of Discovery Channels. Discovery have grown massively but have had their revenues from Sky / BT remain the same hence their battles recently and they have launched their own on demand channels like Disney have with Disney +. You?ll find most broadcasters will do the same in the future. So you?ll be a subscription for each broadcaster. All the broadcasters are going OTT. ie IP delivery.

it's a fair chunk more thn ?139,but i do find it better (and more content if your only geting BT for Motogp) than BT sports with all the extra content,but if ypou watch other sport and just want to watch the races (not all the other bumf) then maybe BT might suit you better.

I just looked up the full price and that's ?174 for a full season including tests and 45,000+ video's on demand which I still think is good value. J

IMG_4122.jpg

i am an existing sub. think it's still ?179 for me but will check my latest email

I have to say the MotoGP App is second too none. I watch it through my Apple TV but it's available on PC, Android etc. Instant HQ HD footage all on demand. Every Race, Crash, technical video, Interview, practise going back yo 1992 on demand. I had both BT's coverage and MotoGP's at the same time and I think the MotoGP app is far better but I miss Hodgson and Edwards comments. I don't miss Keith Hewuen though. Simon Crafar spots stuff instantly that I have to play back a few times to spot. Currently free this year but normally ?139 for the year which was way cheaper than I was paying for BT Sport MotoGP. My two pennies worth.

Hi Jamie,
I just looked at the MotoGP website and right now, for me to start a MotoGP VideoPass subscription it would be ?174 until March 22 which averages out at ?13.39 per month. I am already a BT BB subscriber and I f*ckin loathe paying BT for a service that includes soccer - I unsubscribed in December after the final MotoGP race. BT Sport added to my Sky Sports package, even as a BT BB subscriber, it would cost me ?26 a month in HD and I have to subscribe for 24 months and I can only watch it from one TV in my house unless I pay a supplement for my second Sky Q box. BTW I know Simon Crafar is a former top racer, but his post race paddock interview style leaves me cold. As you know Keith Heuwen has quit BT and I enjoyed his style, especially with Hodgy and Edwards. I think I might bite the bullet and get the MotoGP VideoPass

Hi Jamie,
I just looked at the MotoGP website and right now, for me to start a MotoGP VideoPass subscription it would be ?174 until March 22 which averages out at ?13.39 per month. I am already a BT BB subscriber and I f*ckin loathe paying BT for a service that includes soccer - I unsubscribed in December after the final MotoGP race. BT Sport added to my Sky Sports package, even as a BT BB subscriber, it would cost me ?26 a month in HD and I have to subscribe for 24 months and I can only watch it from one TV in my house unless I pay a supplement for my second Sky Q box. BTW I know Simon Crafar is a former top racer, but his post race paddock interview style leaves me cold. As you know Keith Heuwen has quit BT and I enjoyed his style, especially with Hodgy and Edwards. I think I might bite the bullet and get the MotoGP VideoPass
The excitement builds! Jeez I?ve missed the racing.... I didn?t know that KH has left BT, but I have to say I really did have more than enough of him. He started off really well, but honed his delivery down to a few key phrases and just repeated them endlessly, whilst dominating the more illuminating commentary. He ended up sucking the oxygen out of the commentary box so good riddance! I hope hodgy gets bumped up in place. SC seems/is very knowledgeable, but I?d agree with him seeming utterly without passion. Virgin has had excellent coverage, if you can get it, go for it. Virgin also throw in the occasional coverage of OZ and US SUperbike action, and that is well worth a watch.
BT has been the devil?s work, I?d never go back on principle..

Back