Anyone got BT for watching racing?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So many things to agree with above. BT as a company is one I have always had problems with - inefficient, incompetent and too big and arrogant to care. Eurosport are being squeezed by Sky and BT, but there's plenty they could do a lot better - I still haven't forgiven them for the first year I took their app you had to click on a link that told you the race winner to access the catch up service - that's a special kind of stupid...

But hey, even if the BBC took MotoGP back they wouldn't show Moto2/3, so there doesn't seem to be a happy solution... I agree with Jamie that the future is probably direct relationships vs traditional broadcasters. You can see it in the TV/Movie market already, with Netflix/Amazon/Disney/Apple/Britbox/Disc and others to come. However, that will be expensive if you go for all of them, and is just a ball ache to keep on top of. The price of the MotoGP app feels poor value for c.18 races a year (the archive is only a nice to have for me), even if it is a very niche market compared to teh broad appeal of Netflix et al. But, as has been said above, committing to BT for 2 years also feels like a stitch up...esp when their crappy BT box lasts 18 months tops (both boxes I've had stopped working properly before the contract ended).

I don't mind BT's coverage but every time they up the price and remove other channels from my package I can't help thinking that it's to help them pay for 22 millionaire fuckwits to shout at a man in a black shirt for 90 minutes, and that the supposed clause in BT's contract to guarantee a British rider isn't worth very much (not that giving Bradley the slowest bike on the grid would be much better, and he's reported to be lobbying for the test position anyway).

So, still not sure what I'll do, but one piece missing before I decide - I don't think I've seen anyone confirm if I'd have to suffer ads on the MotoGp app - I am hoping that the one redeeming feature of that price is being ad free????

Cheers

Last edited:
BT are rolling in cash..circa 40% of all BB in UK runs on BT lines, they've 25% of the mobile market too... thats colossal Revenue.. I agree their too big and disjointed and getting the right dept is a nightmare.. I don't know what the true fibre to home penetration is but I do know most of their Fibre is exchange to cabinet with analogue from cabinet to residences...they don't advertise that bit.. I get 53 Meg less overheads.. Virgin scorches past that with 300 Meg on average..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Just bought my VideoPass from MotoGP for the first time after doing the sums v BT Sport. I like the No Spoiler catch-up option too for those sunny summer Sunday weekends away when I'd rather be out on my bike than glued to the TV watching the races. It used annoy me so much with the BT App that the headlines would scream the results at you when you'd spent all day trying to avoid knowing the outcome and you'd go to the App to watch the race after it had finished .....

BT are rolling in cash..circa 40% of all BB in UK runs on BT lines, they've 25% of the mobile market too... thats colossal Revenue.. I agree their too big and disjointed and getting the right dept is a nightmare.. I don't know what the true fibre to home penetration is but I do know most of their Fibre is exchange to cabinet with analogue from cabinet to residences...they don't advertise that bit.. I get 53 Meg less overheads.. Virgin scorches past that with 300 Meg on average..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

fibre to fibre (as direct into house) is circa 1gb (1000mb) ,i'm in the process of helping fit our community funded Bb which is fibre from the exchange to your router so learing quite a bit about it.

i doubt thats what you'll actualy get around your home as it'll depend on how good the router etc is, but it is some of the fastest Bb you
can get atm, it's all down to the fibre actually being direct into your home/router, not just upto your house boundry then onto copper cable.

i have about 3mb atm so will be interesting to see what it's like when we connect it all up.

upload is very similar to DL speeds aswell :)

I've recently had a fiber optic installed into my house. Only cost about ?30 from BT for the instalation, which took 2 full days with a digger to get through my drive. With the basic fiber package I'm getting about 100 mbs download speed. The best I could get with copper was about 3 or 4!!!!

I've recently had a fiber optic installed into my house. Only cost about ?30 from BT for the instalation, which took 2 full days with a digger to get through my drive. With the basic fiber package I'm getting about 100 mbs download speed. The best I could get with copper was about 3 or 4!!!!

we are using a mole plough which saves the hassle of digging up concrete/flags etc as you can send it under the ground if it's hard core stuff it's just where it pops up can be a lottery at times ;)

fibre to fibre (as direct into house) is circa 1gb (1000mb) ,i'm in the process of helping fit our community funded Bb which is fibre from the exchange to your router so learing quite a bit about it.

Yep, 1 gbps is just the beginning. Technically it can be a lot faster in the future, it?s the infrastructure behind it that?s limiting it.

Yep, 1 gbps is just the beginning. Technically it can be a lot faster in the future, it?s the infrastructure behind it that?s limiting it.

yea,we are future proofed for the next 20 yrs or so apparently with this system/set up,it's a massive under taking considering its a rural self funded (to a point) project (B4rn-broadband for the rural north :) ) but will be awesome when we go live in a couple of months

I never made a final decision on this, but I've noticed that Eurosport and BT are friends again, and Eurosport is back in the Sports package...

Update: I contracted again with BT, and got full fibre too. Openreach came and fitted the fibre exactly when they said they would and two weeks later I am still fighting BT to deliver TV services. The new TV box lasted a day, but they replaced it quickly I am able to watch the MotoGP on the BT Sport player, but they are now trying to tell me that Eurosport is only part of a more expensive Sports package - not what the website said when I made the order...

I always suspected this would happen, because it always does. Once it settles down it is fine, but they really make it difficult to think they are anything other than completely incompetent...

Personally I think they?re the worst company in the world. O2 a close second. I hope they both rot in hell. Sorry to sit on the fence. :)

Back