Check your pinch bolts!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HertsTif

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I posted in one of the other threads how I felt a clunk from the left fork the other day.

BMW Recovery came out to look at the bike today and found all 4 pinch bolts on the front forks were loose! The left hand ones very much so.

Please check yours just in case...

Yeah, conveniently, it's due it's first service, so I've asked if they can do that whilst they check out that frontend and make sure it's just those bolts and that they aren't getting loose due to some unknown reason. Fingers crossed.

Has the dealer had the wheel out before?
Always worth going round the bike to check the major bolts...hell some of the fairing ones can work free too...

i mark all my bolts (i know it's not something people like to do on road bikes) so can see at a glance if any of them are moving

Has the dealer had the wheel out before?
Always worth going round the bike to check the major bolts...hell some of the fairing ones can work free too...

Nope, dealer hasn't touched it since PDI. The guy who looked at it was not impressed and said it shouldn't have passed PDI like that - assuming it's not been working loose after that

One of the reasons I want the workshop manual is to get the torque specs for everything so I can do as you suggest and work through them

Shocking mate, I?ll check mine tomorrow. Would hope everything is in order given it had its RIS service done on Friday and one would hope they went around the bike giving it a once over.

Did he say how loose they were Tif? As in were they easy to tighten? Checked mine this evening and they were fairly tight but I?ve given them an ever so ?slight? turn with a ratchet to tighten as a precaution, didn?t take much effort to tighten but they weren?t loose in my opinion.

Front Pinch Bolts

The front pinch bolts should be torqued to 19 Nm. Do not over tighten them.

Re: Front Pinch Bolts

The front pinch bolts should be torqued to 19 Nm. Do not over tighten them.

Thanks Ryan. With the slight movement I made on mine, let?s say they were already at 19 Nm then it might be 20 Nm now! Should I loosen and torque to correct setting or just leave it now?

Front Pinch Bolts

Thanks Ryan. With the slight movement I made on mine, let?s say they were already at 19 Nm then it might be 20 Nm now! Should I loosen and torque to correct setting or just leave it now?

Torque to the correct setting and tighten them alternatively to 19 Nm.

Front Wheel Removal

If you ever need to remove the front wheel the process, and torque settings, are listed from p.192 onwards in the Owner?s Manual.

Did he say how loose they were Tif? As in were they easy to tighten? Checked mine this evening and they were fairly tight but I?ve given them an ever so ?slight? turn with a ratchet to tighten as a precaution, didn?t take much effort to tighten but they weren?t loose in my opinion.
He didn't unfortunately. But I saw him tightening them and one of them at least turned just from the weight of the Allen key put in its head

It's at the dealers now so they can check the hole thing over. Hopefully I don't have a long wait

checked mine yesterday on my 016 and they were just about finger tight which is a bit worrying !

Re: Front Pinch Bolts

Torque to the correct setting and tighten them alternatively to 19 Nm.

Morning Ryan, I've been out into the garage and done them. No loosening required, I set torque wrench to 19 Nm and thought I'd check them first. They all moved fairly easily and did them alternatively as you said. Given the movement, I reckon they were at around 16 Nm before I set them correctly. Shocking, do these guys at the dealers even do anything at PDI? Or do they just tighten to what feels right to them without a torque wrench?

Just for a bit of sanity, even if the pinch bolts are not torqued correctly the front wheel is not going to fall out.

You should never need to loosen or tighten the abs side pinch bolts because that side determines the position of the threaded bush and gap to the abs sensor/abs ring.

I haven?t checked the torque on the bolts on my bike but I noted that the rhs bolts are marked and appear to be in the correct position.

Back