Throttle drill hole thread

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Admin
Reaction score
Anyone know the tap needed to put a threaded hole in a new clipon? I want to be prepared and I don't currently own a tap and die set.

- Alex

from memory m4,but if your buying a tap set,get a mixed set.

Anyone know the tap needed to put a threaded hole in a new clipon? I want to be prepared and I don't currently own a tap and die set.

- Alex

Are the holes threaded? I changed the bars on my Gen 3 recently and I certainly didn't tap anything............

Mine is threaded, was done by RS2E. I'll get a set which covers metric m3-4 minimum. Thanks.

- Alex

I believe the screw outside diameter(not thread size) is 3.8mm and screws directly into an extension on throttle housing.Nothing on the clip-on is threaded,and never has been.
This is where the problem comes in when fitting Alpha q/a throttles-there is no provision for locating OE switch gear.

I must check my housing is intact...
Thinking about it HM fitted that throttle, RS2E just modded it. Maybe Tony just used a 3.5mm bit and the grooves I see are self tapping...

- Alex

Ordered a tap and die kit anyway cause I think its an essential tool.
Small vice, with rubber grips to hold it still too.
Now to find my drill bits...

- Alex

Ordered a tap and die kit anyway cause I think its an essential tool.
Small vice, with rubber grips to hold it still too.
Now to find my drill bits...

- Alex
A tap and die set always comes in handy, I just bought a new HSS one a couple of weeks ago and immediately needed an 8mm coarse thread (1.25) tap to clean up a thread on the frame of that Kwacker. So my purchase was justified within a day.. woop woop.

Most of the affordable sets (?30-?40) are imported Chinese with 2nd cut Plug Taps, they work perfectly well, if anyones buying one pick HSS over Carbon.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

it's worth remebering/noting,when you re-tap something,usually means your going up a size (d) on the bolt,1 reason helicoil kit comes in handy,keeps to the same size bolt d.

Back