Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The Gen4 DDC thread...vol 1

1 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER bmwbadboy's Avatar

Re: The Gen4 DDC thread...vol 1

Quote Originally Posted by dmc12 View Post
    Just got the new M Sport out for its first ride (by me)! Somewhat bamboozled by how it felt compared to the bike I test rode last year (2019 S1000RR Sport). Mine was MUCH stiffer - to the degree that road mode was stiffer than dynamic was on the demo bike. Can't remember how many miles were on the demo bike but there's only 560 on mine. I also rode a 2020 RSV4 last week and to be honest my new bike in Road mode wasn't really any different from that (and it should be).

Is the 'running in' of suspension actually a thing on gen 4s? Should I put it in rain mode to get the bike to that more supple place a bit quicker (if that's even a thing)?
    no idea how you guys determine stiffness of suspension while riding in random modes on street.

set sag, take it to a track and re-eval

Just got the new M Sport out for its first ride (by me)! Somewhat bamboozled by how it felt compared to the bike I test rode last year (2019 S1000RR Sport). Mine was MUCH stiffer - to the degree that road mode was stiffer than dynamic was on the demo bike. Can't remember how many miles were on the demo bike but there's only 560 on mine. I also rode a 2020 RSV4 last week and to be honest my new bike in Road mode wasn't really any different from that (and it should be).

Is the 'running in' of suspension actually a thing on gen 4s? Should I put it in rain mode to get the bike to that more supple place a bit quicker (if that's even a thing)?
    I had exactly this. I can't remember how many miles it took, I'd guess 700 ish as it was after my first service, but the suspension was like rock initially. Made some roads unrideable. Don't worry, it sorts itself out. I was told to ride in rain mode to allow the most travel for the best bedding in

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HertsTif For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HertsTif View Post
    I had exactly this. I can't remember how many miles it took, I'd guess 700 ish as it was after my first service, but the suspension was like rock initially. Made some roads unrideable. Don't worry, it sorts itself out. I was told to ride in rain mode to allow the most travel for the best bedding in
    This makes me feel much better... whole reason for going for the S1000RR was because it's not like riding a rock! Otherwise I'll just end up getting back on the old 2006 Fireblade instead which has a lush ride, and that's not the point Just got to get some more miles in then...

i only ever run in dynamic and no issues with a hard ride. i think its right whats been said, they do bed in after a few hundred miles but really that shouldn't be the case.

Riding
    S1000RR Sport 17

Generally it takes a bit of time for suspension to bed in. Seals can be tight, while the springs will be stiff at first. Things will become more supple with more miles. But also remember, Carbon wheels are stiffer compared to Forged alloys on the sport model. That could also play into the different feeling between the two bikes.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GavD101 For This Useful Post:

2 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER oldwobbler's Avatar
    Riding
    19 msport

Yes they do bed in. They also "feel" stiffer the colder the weather. When I picked mine up new in Nov, even in rain mode, it felt "hard". With 7K miles on this summer in dynamic mode it felt perfect even though I'm light for the springs. Give it time.
    Punctuation - the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to oldwobbler For This Useful Post:

Remember too Gav when you fit Carbon wheels they are a lot lighter than the stock wheels, weight being a natural damper, so when you reduce the unsprung weight you directly effect the damping. You may well end up having to change the damping rate when you fit the lighter wheels. They also effect high speed stability too making changing of direction faster/easier but can make the bike feel slight flighty as a consequence.