The Gen4 DDC thread...vol 1

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 2D Potentiometer

Yes. If you fit one then you can forget about ever using the steering lock again. It results in a fairly significant increase in turning circle. It?s fine on a track bike, but fitting one on a road bike may not be all that practical.

This was the same on the Gen 3 to my knowledge(?)
Would you say the steering restriction is greater than previously?

2D Potentiometer

This was the same on the Gen 3 to my knowledge(?)
Would you say the steering restriction is greater than previously?

Having fitted 2D potentiometers on both models it?s much more restrictive on the Gen 4.

Re: 2D Potentiometer

Having fitted 2D potentiometers on both models it?s much more restrictive on the Gen 4.

Why is that? The clearance around the fork tubes must be similar to allow the bike to turn?

If it?s the same hardware from alpha the sensor can be mounted upside down which increases the scope of turn before fouling anything.

On the road can?t really see a benefit of this potentiometer at all. Just set your rece pro modes in different settings and done.

For track yes. Those having experience and looking for the lap times or amateur racers. Necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2D Potentiometer

Why is that? The clearance around the fork tubes must be similar to allow the bike to turn?

The way it mounts with the alpha Racing kit is different. The OEM fairings are definitely much more compact around the forks. If you have the BMW radiator and oil cooler guards fitted they further reduce the amount of space available because of the way they secure to the inner fairings.

2D Potentiometer

Fit one with race fairings and you will have no issues at all.

On the road can?t really see a benefit of this potentiometer at all. Just set your rece pro modes in different settings and done.

For track yes. Those having experience and looking for the lap times or amateur racers. Necessary.

Hi hijacking the thread a little have you rode yours in pro mode on the road?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi hijacking the thread a little have you rode yours in pro mode on the road?

[emoji4] sure I have. Just to find optimal settings and compare preload settings as well, in general I believe dynamic and race do a decent job on road should one need to go fluid on mountain roads.

Just you don?t have the connected app which is a pain.

[emoji4] sure I have. Just to find optimal settings and compare preload settings as well, in general I believe dynamic and race do a decent job on road should one need to go fluid on mountain roads.

Just you don?t have the connected app which is a pain.

I only ride on the road and find it frustrating not having the wheelie control in race and dynamic that you have in pro modes.If I put it in pro mode I am not the best at the rebound and compression setting up.Maybe I need to take it to a set up guy.

I only ride on the road and find it frustrating not having the wheelie control in race and dynamic that you have in pro modes.If I put it in pro mode I am not the best at the rebound and compression setting up.Maybe I need to take it to a set up guy.

First thing is the preload. Problem is that the auto modes work best with not that much preload then if you want track days have to set preload accordingly then mostly race or pro modes would be adequate (provided you set the damping correct)

Look it this way you can try at a flick of a switch and press of a button then find your best setup for each type of ride

So preload is actually useful on the Gen4? It was basically superfluous for most on the Gen3.

So preload is actually useful on the Gen4? It was basically superfluous for most on the Gen3.

Well for those that didn't spend a relatively small amount on fitting the right springs for their weight.

Well for those that didn't spend a relatively small amount on fitting the right springs for their weight.
A few guys have seen the Dave moss video on you tube.Would this be a place to start with his suggested settings and tweak from there if it doesn't suit?

A few guys have seen the Dave moss video on you tube.Would this be a place to start with his suggested settings and tweak from there if it doesn't suit?

Is that for the Gen 3 or Gen 4? (I know this is a Gen 4 thread but I was replying to the Gen 3 comment)

If you fit the 2D front potentiometer, which is a plug-n-play accessory for the S1000RR, you gain independent control of the rebound and compression damping in the forks.

The 2D sensor can be purchased through Alpha Racing

Interesting, didn't realise it had that function. Learn something new every day :)

Just got the new M Sport out for its first ride (by me)! Somewhat bamboozled by how it felt compared to the bike I test rode last year (2019 S1000RR Sport). Mine was MUCH stiffer - to the degree that road mode was stiffer than dynamic was on the demo bike. Can't remember how many miles were on the demo bike but there's only 560 on mine. I also rode a 2020 RSV4 last week and to be honest my new bike in Road mode wasn't really any different from that (and it should be).

Is the 'running in' of suspension actually a thing on gen 4s? Should I put it in rain mode to get the bike to that more supple place a bit quicker (if that's even a thing)?

Back