The Gen4 DDC thread...vol 1

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got the new M Sport out for its first ride (by me)! Somewhat bamboozled by how it felt compared to the bike I test rode last year (2019 S1000RR Sport). Mine was MUCH stiffer - to the degree that road mode was stiffer than dynamic was on the demo bike. Can't remember how many miles were on the demo bike but there's only 560 on mine. I also rode a 2020 RSV4 last week and to be honest my new bike in Road mode wasn't really any different from that (and it should be).

Is the 'running in' of suspension actually a thing on gen 4s? Should I put it in rain mode to get the bike to that more supple place a bit quicker (if that's even a thing)?

no idea how you guys determine stiffness of suspension while riding in random modes on street.

set sag, take it to a track and re-eval

Just got the new M Sport out for its first ride (by me)! Somewhat bamboozled by how it felt compared to the bike I test rode last year (2019 S1000RR Sport). Mine was MUCH stiffer - to the degree that road mode was stiffer than dynamic was on the demo bike. Can't remember how many miles were on the demo bike but there's only 560 on mine. I also rode a 2020 RSV4 last week and to be honest my new bike in Road mode wasn't really any different from that (and it should be).

Is the 'running in' of suspension actually a thing on gen 4s? Should I put it in rain mode to get the bike to that more supple place a bit quicker (if that's even a thing)?
I had exactly this. I can't remember how many miles it took, I'd guess 700 ish as it was after my first service, but the suspension was like rock initially. Made some roads unrideable. Don't worry, it sorts itself out. I was told to ride in rain mode to allow the most travel for the best bedding in

I had exactly this. I can't remember how many miles it took, I'd guess 700 ish as it was after my first service, but the suspension was like rock initially. Made some roads unrideable. Don't worry, it sorts itself out. I was told to ride in rain mode to allow the most travel for the best bedding in

This makes me feel much better... whole reason for going for the S1000RR was because it's not like riding a rock! Otherwise I'll just end up getting back on the old 2006 Fireblade instead which has a lush ride, and that's not the point :witless: Just got to get some more miles in then...

i only ever run in dynamic and no issues with a hard ride. i think its right whats been said, they do bed in after a few hundred miles but really that shouldn't be the case. :)

Generally it takes a bit of time for suspension to bed in. Seals can be tight, while the springs will be stiff at first. Things will become more supple with more miles. But also remember, Carbon wheels are stiffer compared to Forged alloys on the sport model. That could also play into the different feeling between the two bikes.

Yes they do bed in. They also "feel" stiffer the colder the weather. When I picked mine up new in Nov, even in rain mode, it felt "hard". With 7K miles on this summer in dynamic mode it felt perfect even though I'm light for the springs. Give it time.

Remember too Gav when you fit Carbon wheels they are a lot lighter than the stock wheels, weight being a natural damper, so when you reduce the unsprung weight you directly effect the damping. You may well end up having to change the damping rate when you fit the lighter wheels. They also effect high speed stability too making changing of direction faster/easier but can make the bike feel slight flighty as a consequence.

bringing back an old thread, has anyone changed the DDC forks or shock, rebuilt or resprung. I spoke to MCT who said he could change the springs and oil, Maxton only want to replace the cartridges and shocks which no longer work with the DDC system. The company that mapped mine said they could only change the springs.
I just wondered if any one had had any success. I weight around the 100kg mark I've read lots others are significantly lighter so it may change your perspective. My biggest gripe is I don't like the way it turns at very slow speed, it seems to turn the bars itself. Once up to running speed its less evident but still does it.
anyones thoughts

MCT are highly recommended. Getting the suspension setup for you is the best modification you can make.

If this is a Gen4 with carbon wheels, the issue is probably more to do with them than the suspension...lack of gyroscopic force.

MCT modified the forks in my MV Agusta 312R and set up the rear shock it really did make the bike accurate. It had super-light wheels, Brembo I think, but that didn't have that fall in to turns feel that the BMW has. I will get it to MCT and get them set up again.

I bought a 2021 trackbike with carbon fibre wheels, with electronic suspension. I had a days ride at Almeria, and didn?t enjoy the suspension. I changed settings and preload, but it still never felt comfortable-perhaps the preload was set up correctly for my weight ) The front felt stiffer. I have noticed the wiring going into the fork is slightly damaged. Not sure if this is contributing to the issue with the suspension. Would a code flash up on the dash if the cable was damaged. Also in a flash of inspiration with the assistance of a glass or 2 wines. I purchased the Alpha 2D suspension sensor ddc kit. Is this going to improve the suspension by communicate with the rear suspension.

2D pot sensor will allow you to separate Compression and Rebound and make better adjustments.

Hi mates, here I am with one more stiff front :D . In my case I weight 70kg, I can't get as much SAG in the front as I'd want to. I'm thinking about getting softer springs but I can't find any info. Are springs available to change for DDC gen 4 bikes?? Cheers!

I don't know of anyone doing replacement Gen4 springs. The Marzocchi in the Gen4 seem to be even less well liked than the Sachs in the Gen1-3 from the perspective of aftermarket assistance. BMW themselves should be offering a range of springs...but it's clear that if you don't like what you're given they expect you to bin it. Which is truly nose chopping.

Might be worth a phone call to K-Tech, Maxton or another to see if you can commission a pair of 9's.

I got my Gen 4 set up by Perry (ex HM) last weekend. He told me that the springs were fine for my weight (>90kg), inferring that he might have recommended changing them for me?

Despite this he had a problem with the front springs - I thought i understood why at the time, but now i come to repeat I'm losing confidence. I think his issue was that that the front didn't compress as much as he thought it ought to - it was several mm out, according to his measurements but didn't mean they were wrong for me. He seemed to feel that that this was a standard issue with Marzocchi manufacturing variances, which could only be fixed by opening it up and shaving something off... Not sure if anyone can interpret this and describe it more eloquently?

(He also thought the handling of the bike would be massively improved by lengthening wheelbase 10mm - said I'd really feel a difference on track, maybe less so on the road. He validated this by calling someone at HM who was working at Knockhill BSB)

I am booked in with Perry on the 9th July..He did my Gen 3 when he was at HM and it was transformed but i did have the 2d Sensor fitted.

Does the bike feel better?

Does the bike feel better?

There was a big risk of rain on Saturday, so when he was done, I just rode home (20 miles) as quick as I could, mostly M25. All I can say right now is that it definitely felt different getting to the M25, but I'll need more miles to fully appreciate the changes.

I got my Gen 4 set up by Perry (ex HM) last weekend. He told me that the springs were fine for my weight (>90kg), inferring that he might have recommended changing them for me?

Despite this he had a problem with the front springs - I thought i understood why at the time, but now i come to repeat I'm losing confidence. I think his issue was that that the front didn't compress as much as he thought it ought to - it was several mm out, according to his measurements but didn't mean they were wrong for me. He seemed to feel that that this was a standard issue with Marzocchi manufacturing variances, which could only be fixed by opening it up and shaving something off... Not sure if anyone can interpret this and describe it more eloquently?

(He also thought the handling of the bike would be massively improved by lengthening wheelbase 10mm - said I'd really feel a difference on track, maybe less so on the road. He validated this by calling someone at HM who was working at Knockhill BSB)

Strange , would have thought the opposite

He thinks as-is, that the bike is too reactive, and that this would make it more stable and smoother... I thin k that's what he said. Probably taking my other bikes to him soon, I can double check

Back