The Gen4 DDC thread...vol 1

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would make sense as most electronic suspension complaints are about it 'changing' underneath the riders on track.

- Alex

In normal modes the system is controlled by the electronics.
Gen3 DDC was all electronic.As I understand it,Gen4 ddc in RacePro modes uses the base electronic settings of the various modes(Rain,Road etc) then any further adjustments are mechanical.

Spoonbill - can you explain this bit about 90% being dynamic in road mode please? In layman's terms??
I've read a couple of articles now which have said that in the preset road modes, 90% of the damping is done electronically whereas in race pro modes just 10% is electronic, the rest of the time it just works like normal suspension , I'll post the link to one of the articles . I can't remember where I saw the other but that said that the suspension in race pro mode was only dynamic ( adjusted electronically) while the bike was more or less upright(it did state the angle but I can't remember exactly what it was but I think it was around 10 deg) so for 90% of the time it just acted like normal suspension to give more feel and predictability for the track.

Thanks spoonbill, Baz. I like to try to understand what a bike is doing. The ddc is obviously doing at lot a lot of the time. I had a gripe on here about the ddc when I first got the bike - as soof points out you can't alter ddc in the road modes. So if I go into race pro 1 and set the ddc to rain only 10% of the suspension function will be active as opposed to 90% active in rain mode. If I then alter the ddc settings, those adjustments are only making changes to the 10% which is active (ie bugger all). Or are the adjustments to the mechanical side and you can't alter the10% active side?? Complicated stuff!!

Maybe the 10% dynamic damping in race pro mode, when the bike is more or less upright(according to the artical I read) is to stop the for front forks diving under heavy braking and the rear squatting under hard acceleration to keep the bike stable, the rest of the time when the bike is leaned over it's just like normal suspension for more predictability.
Yes it's very annoying you can't alter the settings in the road modes, it would be a perfect set up then.

When I collected my bike in October I was disappointed to find even in Rain mode the bike was too firm for me. This was with zero miles and low ambient temperature. Now with 800 miles on and 20c the bike is much softer. Rain is very compliant on rough roads (though when dry I miss the throttle response). Road mode is very good, planted. Dynamic is still just to firm for me.
What I have noticed in Road is a wollow mid corner at the back. In a corner at the point where you are just about to get back on the gas the bike does a slight pogo while it settles. I did wonder if the rear shock was failing but I don't notice it in dynamic. I think in warm weather ideally I need something between road and dynamic. It's such a pitty I can't make adjustments to the standard settings. Other than that I'm loving it.

When I collected my bike in October I was disappointed to find even in Rain mode the bike was too firm for me. This was with zero miles and low ambient temperature. Now with 800 miles on and 20c the bike is much softer. Rain is very compliant on rough roads (though when dry I miss the throttle response). Road mode is very good, planted. Dynamic is still just to firm for me.
What I have noticed in Road is a wollow mid corner at the back. In a corner at the point where you are just about to get back on the gas the bike does a slight pogo while it settles. I did wonder if the rear shock was failing but I don't notice it in dynamic. I think in warm weather ideally I need something between road and dynamic. It's such a pitty I can't make adjustments to the standard settings. Other than that I'm loving it.

im probably slightly heavier than you and run in dynamic most of the time. i get that slight wallow/pogo effect in dynamic. it dosnt do it if its a nice smooth corner and you dont make too many adjustments as you go around the corner. its a strange feeling that the gen 3 didnt have but im getting used to it now. :)

A very good point to mention (as I'd not seen anyone else say it here). The suspension for me was damn hard in any mode from new. I did the first 400 miles in Rain mode but it wasn't until I got to about 600 miles that it felt like it was starting to actually get some comfort to it. Now at 900, it's feeling more how I'd expect. I'd also found the dealer had put in a few more PSI into the tyres than they should have. Dropping pressures down a touch helped too, especially as it's been warm lately.

And yes to the wollow, as r25sti says, fewer inputs in the corner sorts it - I finally gelled with the bike yesterday on quite a long ride and it's now feeling familiar to me. You really can drive out of corners incredibly hard on these things!

Worth remembering the bike is set for an 85KG rider. I do not know if that is a rider in a birthday suit or full gear. They also have the preload wound right off from the factory. I would say once i have my gear on (full suit etc) then i am at the magic 85kg.

I personally do not find it hard on the road in Dynamic, tyres set at 36/42. On track it is in Pro mode which makes the suspension much more predictable as it's only 10% active. But saying all of that my bike has about 6k on the clock so it is probably a little more bed in that most.

I assume this whole thread is under the premise that the rider has their sag adjusted properly. If this is the case for all posts then we have a good conversation here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This short clip from Dave Moss tuning is interesting. Well his remarks are anyway, regarding the valving and overall stiffness of the suspension. But what is even more interesting, on this chaps bike, he can change both rebound and compression on the front? Check at the 2min mark

https://davemosstuning.com/2-clicks-out-2020-s1000rr-very-advanced-rider-suspension-setup/

If you fit the 2D front potentiometer, which is a plug-n-play accessory for the S1000RR, you gain independent control of the rebound and compression damping in the forks.

The 2D sensor can be purchased through Alpha Racing

Last edited:
2D Potentiometer

If you fit a 2D potentiometer on a Gen 4 you will have clearance issues.

2D Potentiometer

With the steering lock?

Yes. If you fit one then you can forget about ever using the steering lock again. It results in a fairly significant increase in turning circle. It?s fine on a track bike, but fitting one on a road bike may not be all that practical.

Back