Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gen4 DDC thread...vol 1

Cool The Gen4 DDC thread...vol 1

This thread is to discuss what works for people with the gen 4 bike ddc suspension.

I am approx 85kgs in full kit so thereabouts the right weight for the theoretical out of the factory sag...

The manual says to measure the unloaded length of the front forks before setting the preload. Has anyone done that?

My observations on country roads in north yorkshire with far from perfect road surfaces:

In Road mode the ddc is soft and carpet like on most road surfaces I tried.

In Dynamic it’s too hard a lot of the time with not enough damping to stop the rear bouncing on bumpy roads, front feels ok, but not completely planted. Would be great on smooth roads I expect.

I tried Race Pro mode 1 as Front 10, rear 4. Slightly/marginal better front feel than dynamic but rear still too hard. All round much harder than road mode, even with front on 12 (out of 14). I think the pro modes for adjusting ddc have different parameters from the standard modes (For track obvs). I dont think it is possible to ‘dial in’ road mode feel using the race pro mode settings even with the ddc at it’s softest.

Didnt try race or rain mode.

Had a play with the ddc in pro mode also. Set it to +7 (max) and had flicky yellow light on a lot of the time, cutting up to 30% of power. Very effective and the interventions were seemless.

There is a bit of a achilles heel with this new system. Pro modes 1-3 disable all comms on the bike, so no connected app functionality, no nav, no phone, no music. Outside of the pro modes there is no customisation so you get the bmw presets only. Not ideal unless you want to turn off all the comms.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to soofsayer For This Useful Post:

Re: The Gen4 DDC thread...vol 1

Does the lack of Comms mean that if you use race pro modes on track, you dont get the (basic) telemetry that the app normally provides?

So basically forcing you to buy the full telemetry package... which doesn't exist yet

Quote Originally Posted by HertsTif View Post
    Does the lack of Comms mean that if you use race pro modes on track, you dont get the (basic) telemetry that the app normally provides?

So basically forcing you to buy the full telemetry package... which doesn't exist yet
    Yes. Exactly. In race pro the app does not track your ride.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to soofsayer For This Useful Post:

only run mine in dynamic and not touched anything yet. mainly due to not being able to ride the roads i normally do so not really pushing it yet. feels fine as it is though. 97kg's kitted up.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r25sti For This Useful Post:

Riding
    Gen 3&4 R1M

I’ve not had a chance to mess about with mines yet for the road. Might try some different modes if I get out tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riding
    S1000RR, 2020, Red

Interesting thread. I've mainly been riding in 'Road' mode with a little play in 'Dynamic'. Road mode seems fine for some of the bumpy roads around my ends. I'm not sure how much I weigh fully kitted up, but I normally weigh around 72kg. Haven't played with individual setups yet.
    2020 BMW S1000RR Sport with Performance Pack (Current)
    2020 Triumph Bonneville T100 (Current)
    2016 BMW S1000RR Sport with Performance Pack (Sold)
    2012 BMW S1000RR Sport (Sold)
    2006 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade (Sold)
    1999 Honda CBR600 FX (Sold)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Schuey For This Useful Post:

I've not long got back from my first proper ride since having the bike serviced and honestly can't fault dynamic mode handling wise.it feels compliant when you're pottering around but once you up the pace it stiffens up but the bike feels remarkably stable and planted even over sections of road which I know are pretty bumpy..
    I also tried road mode when I was running it in which I found a little soft and race mode which was too hard. They only thing that annoys me about dynamic mode is it limits wheelies too much over hill crests etc. I also tried setting up a race pro mode and left the suspension in the default settings but it felt extremely hard so I'll have to have a play around to see if I can soften it up a bit,. My ideal setting up to now would be dynamic but without the wheelie intervention and maybe full torque although I don't think a race pro setting could mimic dynamic fully as when in any of the preset road modes 90% of the suspension is dynamic whereas in a race pro mode only 10% is dynamic to give the bike more feel for the racetrack or so I'm lead to believe.
    Anyway I'm blown away up to now with this bike, the speed of the thing is crackers, I'm still buzzing like I've had a shed load of drugs after that ride lol.
    I weigh 70kg without all my gear.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to spoonbill10 For This Useful Post:

Riding
    Gen 3&4 R1M

We did about 270 miles yesterday and had a play with the modes.
    I spent half the time in road mode to get used to the bike again and then tried race mode. I found the suspension too hard for the road but then tried dynamic mode and for me this was the best mode for a decent pace on the roads. Bike handled faultlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Carsonr6 For This Useful Post:

Riding
    S1000RR, 2020, Red

Do you guys notice any difference in the exhaust note on Dynamic setting? I'm not sure how true but my dealer had told me there's more crackles and pops on the overrun in Dynamic mode, but I can't honestly say I've noticed this?
    2020 BMW S1000RR Sport with Performance Pack (Current)
    2020 Triumph Bonneville T100 (Current)
    2016 BMW S1000RR Sport with Performance Pack (Sold)
    2012 BMW S1000RR Sport (Sold)
    2006 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade (Sold)
    1999 Honda CBR600 FX (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Schuey View Post
    Do you guys notice any difference in the exhaust note on Dynamic setting? I'm not sure how true but my dealer had told me there's more crackles and pops on the overrun in Dynamic mode, but I can't honestly say I've noticed this?
    I was told to run in my bike on Rain mode, so that the suspension got the biggest workout. After 500 miles, I treated myself to Road mode. Definitely louder, definitely more pops. Not tried Dynamic, but it is plausible given my experience.

As an aside, fuel economy in rain mode sucks
    Last edited by HertsTif; 21st May 2020 at 03:15 PM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HertsTif For This Useful Post: