SS Akro headers. What else do I need

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been reading on FB of similar issues.

1. Bleed brakes with ignition on. This will engage the ABS pump.

2. Take the calipers off and hold them above the m/c and then pump them.

Failing that, ride to a mate 40 miles away who has a GS-911 tool and they the following

https://youtu.be/hBE_vDjj4Zs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Worth bearing in mind the BMW Club have an excellent tool loan scheme which includes a GS-911 tool. Could be useful in the future, I hope all goes well, looks like you?re making progress.

Hi Amit, you mentioned oil or fluid on the back of the pads. Did you resolve that? There shouldn?t be. If there is fluid in the rear of pads it suggests the piston seals are gone. That could let air in giving spongey feel.

Hope not they're brand new grabbers Rob.... they were poorly packaged when he got them, they were off a Thourr that TAS had converted for racing... quite sloppy to send them out still with unchecked fluid in them, they should have plugged the hose end with a short metric bolt and washer....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have them a good clean before the 10 mile round trip yesterday. I will check them again and see if there is any fluid on them tomorrow.

Not sorted yet.

I will inspect the pads today and Will have another go to bleed the pads today with the ignition on and also raise the right Caliper above the m/c to help remove any trapped bubbles.
I?ve tried the other suggested items from the suggestions above.
Failing that, off to my mate who has the gs911 tool.
Will keep you informed.

Last edited:
Just inspected the pads. There is a little fluid on the back of the pads

On both calipers

88d69721d6f0e3f888ffef3951ab2351.jpg

Is it worth bleeding again, even though they seem to be weeping?

Get onto TAS and see what they say I guess.

Very not right mate, I think they need to go back...or pay for a BMW tech to replace the pistons and seals.

Did they say how old the calipers were? I am thinking the seals have perished from sitting on a shelf, dry.

Last edited:
Just inspected the pads. There is a little fluid on the back of the pads

On both calipers

88d69721d6f0e3f888ffef3951ab2351.jpg

Is it worth bleeding again, even though they seem to be weeping?

Get onto TAS and see what they say I guess.

I have to say that I had a very positive purchase experience with TAS last year, but 'new' calipers with SBS pads in them? If they came out of a new bike they would have Brembo road pads. I know that TAS use SBS pads for racing, but those are marked '870', which is a road compound. I'm thinking that those calipers have done some time in a Superstock race bike. Is there any evidence of brake dust staining?

I have to say that I had a very positive purchase experience with TAS last year, but 'new' calipers with SBS pads in them? If they came out of a new bike they would have Brembo road pads. I know that TAS use SBS pads for racing, but those are marked '870', which is a road compound. I'm thinking that those calipers have done some time in a Superstock race bike. Is there any evidence of brake dust staining?

Good spot, the DC's are Dual Carbon and much more track focussed than OEM.

870 is the size, not the compound. The DC, DS and RS are all marked 870.

That's a bummer Amit. Did look like leaking seals to me. I'd send them back or say that you want the cost of a professional seal refurb from someone of your choice (eg dealer).

Plugged into the GS911.

This the the code it shows...

Performed the ABS Flush, cleared error code, took it out for a spin, 1 minute in and the same 2 lights come and and the same error code pops up when plugging into the tool again...

Off to BMW I guess? And message TAS?

3f117a56fcd324733882e854a229edbe.jpg

Back