SS Akro headers. What else do I need

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMORTAL_Indian

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
With the ongoing issue with the replacement exhaust, I saw some steel Akro headers for sale and took the plunge.

I?m taking the stock headers off and will be keeping my current can.

What else do I need please?

00bedc53c744950ef94fc8b34c9c70da.jpg

48b3df7ee860bfed7fdcee24960f07c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it just a case of dropping the existing headers and following the installation for the new ones? Will I need Servo Buddies or anything? And/Or PV-5 or Autotune?

Last edited:
If you've got the servo's still hooked up then you only need to remove the cables from them (not the electrics).

If you're removing cats then a tune would be advantageous.

- Alex

Is it just a case of dropping the existing headers and following the installation for the new ones? Will I need Servo Buddies or anything? And/Or PV-5 or Autotune?

You dont need buddies if you decide to leaver motors plugged (cables removed), but might as well replace them.

No need PCV, ECU should be smart enough to adapt.

Autotune only needed if you decide to use wide-band O2 sensors with PCV. OEM sensors are narrow band, so would need replacement.

Let us know what you do. Might get the Black Widow headers and get rid of the cat. Be good to know any running issues encountered.

Re: Akrapovic

Bloody hell, how hard can it be to follow some instructions>>>>>?

1. How can you get to the bolt near the oil filter that is for the bracket that holds up the oil cooler and radiator? T30 + extension bit and rachet?.. NO FOOKING WAY
2. How do you get the 1st bolt of pipe 2 without damaging the radiator....? Don't fancy another repair job for that....

Nearly suicidal so walked away for the evening.... :-/ Pop open a couple of cans of Guinness and gather my thoughts and watch more youtube videos of people doing it 15 mins..... just looking for the sharpest blade now (joking)

On the plus side, Lambda sensors are off (they were a mission to get off to, even with a dusting of WD40.
Front exhaust valve cable removed
Rear exhaust valve cables removed
5/8 Flange nut loosened
Anyhow, definitely my daily riding in all weathers has impacted the bikes nuts and bolts.... jet washing every month and ACF-50 once a year is definitely not enough.... :-(

A more regimental cleaning regime is on the cards from now on... even if a jet wash on the way home once a week and a thorough clean once per month.....

Anyhow feeling the aches of sitting/kneeling, bending over the bike this evening for 3 hrs (yeah I know, it probable only takes 1 hour) if you know what you are doing.

But its a learning curve and getting up close and personal with the bike can only be a good thing....

If anyone want to come and socially distance help complete it, i would be more that happy to observe.

Off to bed, just looking for a couple of paracetamol to ensure less aches tomorrow and a day ahead to get the bike sorted so can get out on Sunday...

Over and out.

Last edited:
Radiator

If you want to protect the rear of the radiator when installing the exhaust headers just cut a piece of cardboard to the right size and secure it in place. It will help you avoid damaging the radiator fins.

Re: Radiator

If you want to protect the rear of the radiator when installing the exhaust headers just cut a piece of cardboard to the right size and secure it in place. It will help you avoid damaging the radiator fins.

I saw some videos before and 1 did that. It was the first thing I did. [emoji1417]

1. How can you get to the bolt near the oil filter that is for the bracket that holds up the oil cooler and radiator? T30 + extension bit and rachet?.. NO FOOKING WAY
2. How do you get the 1st bolt of pipe 2 without damaging the radiator....? Don't fancy another repair job for that....

Nearly suicidal so walked away for the evening.... :-/ Pop open a couple of cans of Guinness and gather my thoughts and watch more youtube videos of people doing it 15 mins..... just looking for the sharpest blade now (joking)

On the plus side, Lambda sensors are off (they were a mission to get off to, even with a dusting of WD40.
5/8 Flange nut loosened
Anyhow, definitely my daily riding in all weathers has impacted the bikes nuts and bolts.... jet washing every month and ACF-50 once a year is definitely not enough.... :-(

A more regimental cleaning regime is on the cards from now on... even if a jet wash on the way home once a week and a thorough clean once per month.....

Anyhow feeling the aches of sitting/kneeling, bending over the bike this evening for 3 hrs (yeah I know, it probable only takes 1 hour) if you know what you are doing.

But its a learning curve and getting up close and personal with the bike can only be a good thing....

If anyone want to come and socially distance help complete it, i would be more that happy to observe.

Off to bed, just looking for a couple of paracetamol to ensure less aches tomorrow and a day ahead to get the bike sorted so can get out on Sunday...

Over and out.

wait until you start fitting new headers on and they wont line up

thats going to be fun

5/8 Flange nut loosened

Over and out.

You've done the right thing by downing tools and having a beer. More often than not that's all it takes, and you'll go back to it today and it will be a piece of piss.
Take your time and use the correct tools, and stop for a brew when things ain't going right. Who cares if it takes 10 times longer than it would take a race bike technician.

Last edited:
I should?ve put money on this when you posted that you had bought the headers to fit yourself lol.

At least this way you wont be crippled so you can enjoy the bike once fitted!

Back