Replace or push in

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMORTAL_Indian

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Took the wheels off to give the bike a clean. Noticed on one side of the sprocket, a spring slightly protruding. Would it be ok to push back in or do I need to replace?

Thanks
Amit
229b328fed79803a3dea0aa5f1e55046.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That needs further investigation Amit.
If I?m not mistaken, that?s the oil/grease seal. Looks burnt to me.
Needs a new seal, at least.
Have a good check of the sprocket bearing and wheel bearings.
Hope it?s nothing too serious.

That spring is a bugger to get back in whilst the seal is in situ Amit, I just knocked bearings and seals in on my spare wheel off my ZX earlier tonight and took this to show you the other side.

Seals are not expensive, you can lever it out with a flat bladed driver and checkout the bearing while your in there..just stick your finger in and rotate it (fnaar) it should be nice and smooth, if it feels rough or notchy the bearings shot...as a rough guide it's not often wheel bearings need replaced, but as RR says whilst you have the wheel off it's worth checking. If you pop the seal out you will have to replace it as it will likely deform, by the looks of it it needs replaced anyhow.
a0467ad8146fee0908dd4f218541e9d5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Wheel Bearings

Excellent. You can normally tell pretty quickly if they need replacing.

361 euro?? Ideally I just need a new dust seal and the spring right?

c0e59fdbf52cf9f1f0c646b1a43e66cf.jpg

The spring is an integral part of the seal. Yours have separated and need replaced. If it were me, I would take the seal to a reputable bearing supplier. The should be able to fix you up or point you in the right direction. Good luck!

That seal is in some nick, you would definitely reap the benefit of a twice yearly overhaul/clean/lubrication of your running gear and braking system due to you using the bike in all weather and year round. Your brakes were in poor order too.

I would factor it into a regular maintenance programme, if you buy your lift it will be a breeze and a pleasure to work on your bike at waist height.

Back and front stands are needed, I recommend Harris stands..

That seal is in some nick, you would definitely reap the benefit of a twice yearly overhaul/clean/lubrication of your running gear and braking system due to you using the bike in all weather and year round. Your brakes were in poor order too.

I would factor it into a regular maintenance programme, if you buy your lift it will be a breeze and a pleasure to work on your bike at waist height.

Back and front stands are needed, I recommend Harris stands..

Yes, definitely need to schedule some regular service time... and a bench will help for sure... or not ride it 360 days a year [emoji23]

Replacement part arrived :)

Just grease and pop back on right?

Just a set of rear pads to be delivered hopefully today/tomorow and i'll be free to ride once round the block

Last edited:
Back